Future Residents of Manchester... The Arsenal Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ThreeUpTop, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly.

Is an anti-competitive move which favours the big clubs

2. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The big boys aren't going to make perfect decisions everytime, look at how Liverpool dropped out of the top 4. Or how clubs like Leeds and Newcastle went from CL potentials to relegation within a short span of time. Then look at how Inter went from CL and League winners to 2nd place to 6th place in a span of 3 years. Then look at how Napoli has been competitive in the top 4 despite being profittable every year and not having as much resources as the big Italian clubs. The whole idea that you can become a big boy only by spending money, frequently money which you don't have, is ridiculous. Because you can buy trophies for a few seasons but you are not going to be able to buy them for more than 10 years.

3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean big boys in terms of gross income.

It is effectively impossible for Spurs to grow in to Man Utd only from income receipts.

And now direct investment is effectively banned.

This is not like ordinary business where great product innovations can help one company outperform another. This rule greatly assists the big 4. Namely

Barca, Real, Bayern, Utd.

For clubs like Arsenal - at least it shuts the gate on any more City's/Chelsea's/PSGs

But it means Arsenal cannot access any direct investment to address the £100m p/a gap up to Utd.

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Inter received enormous cash injections and had one of the highest payrolls in Europe when they one the CL.

FPP ensures Inter can never win shit in europe.

5. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm hoping UEFA enforce it to the strictest possible standard that keeps Barca, Bayern, Real, Manutd safe, while giving the boot to Chelsea & City. I'd rather see the same teams win everything, than just hand over trophies to which ever billionaire wants to create a brand for himself.

Clubs may never be able to grow to the point where they match those big 4 clubs, but with years of sacrifice, hard work, and wise investment, they can still mount a challenge and win.

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In pure self-interest, this is what I'd like to see too. If Chelski & City had never existed in their current forms, we would have won multiple titles.

7. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the term "direct investment". It is like calling prostitution a "monetization of affection".

Arsenal won plenty when Pool and Man Utd had greater income than did we and it wasn't because of "direct investment".

I would rather be up against clubs that are properly run and happen to have more money than us than to have to compete against a rich man's plaything with limitless artificial income.

And yes, it does benefit those clubs because that is what SHOULD happen. Clubs with bigger support should have more money and will win the majority of silverware. Just because Sputz cannot become Utd doesn't make the rule bad, it makes it realistic.

Clubs should become bigger by winning something and gaining support and getting more money and winning more stuff and getting more support and on and on.

This is massively preferable to the following scenario that could absolutely happen under current structure:

Oil sheik Al Whoseudadi visists St. Ben's Elbow, a hamlet of 3 people and decides to buy 300 acres for a single seater football stadium. He then starts a non-league side of over the hill ex-stars who play home games with 100% attendance - of one person. They easily progress.

Six years later, through larger and larger "investment", the club clenches the title in front of its one and only fan.

Hmmm, Utd dominant because of a following of millions or a club dominant because of a single follower with billions.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    No. It was because Arsenal total squad cost was the same as United. Something that is no longer possible.

Well. Nice rant, but I simply made the point that it was anti-competitive.

Now no one else can become United.

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So the club supported by a gazillion 12 year old girls from Korea should always win over the club that isn't?

Yeah - I can really see the Sky Fan Boy logic

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ive grown not to care about Chelsea/City/PSG or whomever else spends money on their clubs. They dont always win silverware. When Roman stepped in, it changed the premiership and made teams at the top fight harder.

We were on the cusp of having a decade of United vs. Arsenal for the top 2 spots. I get why us Arsenal fans would think thats ok, but what about everyone else? You could say now its 3 teams at the top (or even 4 if you want to say Arsenal now) but its better than just us two. And Arsenal and United were also the two biggest money makers in the league at that point and Arsenal were making plans for the Emirates.

I get the argument that the best teams should spend what they take in, but I dont like the idea that an owner cant dip money into his/her pocket when she/he feels its ok. Arsenal did it with Sir Henry Norris and we think its ok (I know its a different era, but the point is still the same). Shoot, the club owners dropped some of their own coin for Bergkamp, iirc.

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If you are going to bring in anti-competitive rules which make it impossible for smaller clubs to attract the cash injection to compete, then you need to also bring in rules to level the playing field.

FPP if strictly applied would virtually guarantee Man U to win every year.

12. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why couldn't they if they finish building their new stadium and prove themselves capable of finishing in the top 4 consistently, before making themselves title contenders? They and clubs like Liverpool will never grow into Man Utd if they go around begging people to gift wrap them a new stadium and not go through what we have gone through when we built our stadium.

13. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Even if FFP were to be stricly applied, its language is so open-ended that it will be easy to get around it without 'cheating'. I seriously doubt it will change anything.

14. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Makes sense. Altho they have to start somewhere. I think this is a good start.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Put the numbers down in a spreadsheet, give Man Utd a revenue growth rate based on their rolling 5 year average - then work out the growth rate spurs would need to catch up to them within 20 years :eek:

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arsene Wenger would disagree with you.

Besides, Man U have their own issues with debt that limit their spending at times. Had Abramovich not bought Chelsea and not started the gazillionare-era, we would have won the league in 05, and possibly 07/08.

17. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, what happens when La Liga comes to its senses and has regular TV contracts that don't give the two slimeball fascist clubs the lion's share of TV money? It's pretty much been a combination of TV money and corporate sponsorship that separates F.C. Barfa and Generalissimo Franco C.F. from the Arsenal. Bayern gets a ton of sponsorship money, as I believe that Budesliga TV rights are not even as lucrative as Premiership contracts, but remain somewhat equitably distributed among the clubs.

So, the situation is fluid--(1) F.C. Barfa and Generalissimo Franco C.F TV money MUST come down in size; otherwise, that league is a TOTAL joke; (2) Arsenal must have a plan to massively ramp up sponsorship money--at least in such a way to catch up with Man Ure.

We're not sitting in a terrible position vis-a-vis Man Ure, Bayern, F.C. Barfa and Generalissimo Franco C.F. The wild card is the private oil-induced blood money infused by corrupt robber barons and Mid East Sheiks.

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think it will simply ensure that the current big boys cannot be challenged.

Chelsea and co will jigger the numbers - but there won't be any new Chelseas.

That's why they all support it.

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes.

But he did.

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No doubt - but the club had a 15-year plan to move forward with the Emirates starting in 2002-ish (a year Man United won nothing), and this was just before Abramovich bought Chelsea. What can you really expect the club to do?

21. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1) Profits in Utd is meaningless as most of it go straight into the Glazer's pockets anyway
    2) They needed an IPO to go on a spending spree, and that IPO has been a massive flop
    3) Their revenue growth is based on stuff like that deal with GM which led to the person in charge being sacked. You can't expect their revenue growth to continue at the same rate forever

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Maybe so with interest payments of 40+m. But they still have 100m extra in straight up cashflow every single year. And the gross debt as a % of their turnover is declining quite significantly in the last 2 years

None of that money went to a spending spree?

Nevertheless their revenue is growing faster than anyone elses

23. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    MUFC Commercial income now > match day + TV = FFP Bonanza.

24. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder what you guys thought about Belhanda's performance against us yesterday? We have been linked to him in the past. I thought he was quite good but his finishing (thankfully) was suspect.

25. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    You wouldn't wanna try pay for him.