Future Predictions

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Eggy, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    lets have em

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I voted for us missing the playoffs and gre keeps his job anyways. I think Jim will just fall back on the injuries, point to the fact that Greg lead a healthy team to their first hardware ever last year, and give him a 2 year extension. I hope to God I am wrong, but thats what I see.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going ot on a limb here, but I think that, deep down, Jim Smith doesn't really like Greggie.

Jim is on a career track here. He is trying to turn a big profit. He's working his ass off trying to put a winner into the building and Greg is booting it. This was supposd to be Smith's big year, plaudits, roses and big kudos from the Massah.

Instead, he's done nothing but damage control, and he resents it.

Jim didn't hire Andrulis, and most GM's really prefer their own pick in these jobs, not somebody they inherited.

Now Jimmy can't fire Greg. Wagner and Clark Hunt are the ones who wil make the final decision. But they will most assuredly ask for Smith's input, and I would be really surprised if Greg got much of a defense. "If Greg goes, I go; I'll stake my career on him being the guy to carry the franchise to the promised land" is just not something I can envision.

And if they hire some retread MLS loser, buy stock in some liquor companies.

4. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    It's as I said this morning, and Bill has stated a bit more clearly...Jim Smith has done a reasonably good job building a team to compete for a championship...I disagree with the Dunseth move, but none the less, there is a ton of talent on this team. Could you imagine how it must feel to put that much talent on the field, be responsible for doing it, and then the coach completely loses the plot, and duffs any hope of a championship? Andrulis is an albatross around the neck of Jim Smith, it's time to cut bait.

It's as I've told Carson Daly, he needs to stop focusing on questions for this season, and start doing some scouting for the draft, we're going to have a pretty high draft pick.

5. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Bob taking the helm, for some of the reasons Zak and Bill mentioned.

Smith has to be noticing the complete lack of interest in the Crew here of late (a local high school soccer match-up received more radio press recently), most of this due to the product on the field and coaches, well, sucking... Sensing he needs to get fans he has lost interested again, he will not renew Greg's contract and replace him with a person who (arguably) receives about as much, maybe even more vocal fan cheers than Brian McBride - Robert Warzycha... Popular guy at the helm, one problem solved (or at least "cleverly ducked for the moment", much easier to go with the well-known than try to endear some new clown to the 15k-18k in attendance). Jeff will probably ditch MLS initially and try his luck elsewhere, maybe coming back after realizing how good he actually has it here, but another "controversy" solved (IMHO I think the concensus at CCS based on vocal support is that Cunningham is generally well liked, contrary to what most soccer knowledgeables think). Williams will probably not "bust" but be a serious question mark at the end of the season, so he will be urged to "player coach", have part of his salary diverted, not start, but be available as a substitute.

Aw who am I kidding...

Greg is going to be Fitz'ed... Greg will get a year added to fix things and if he doesn't, he'll be gone after five or so games, and if he does then people will accept it...

I feel ill...

Just as I just know Denton, Clark, Maissoneuve, etc. will all be back next season...

6. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I found a couple of betting firms that take MLS games, Shitcago are 2/1 tonight. Unfortunately for us there aren't any Columbus lines available just yet. Given the amount of parity though would you really want to bet MLS. I know the bet I'd take is Columbus v. Shitcago, however my heart just won't allow it. Crew would be easy money, but I can't bring myself to gamble against my club.

7. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I'm betting BOB takes over soon. The Crew front office called about renewal and I told them my friend and I were going from 8 to 4 tickets. We just are not worried about missing games anymore and the renewal date is 10/24. You can't let the season end on this note if you want to keep 80% of your existing season ticket holders. You've got to show you care about the product on the field + Greg is making desperation type player moves and giving cliche type answers to questions. Greg knows the end is near, but is personally competitive enough to want to stay - even though he knows he's lost it for now.

8. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    There's no consenus in this poll so far, which I guess is a good thing.