Future NWSL expansion clubs: Where would you like to see the next 2 to 3 clubs?

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by SteveUSSF_ref8, Mar 24, 2014.

1. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I think San Jose & Salt Lake City are locks. The next two are questionable. Does the NY RedBulls still look to purchase SkyBlue?? Is Toronto still interested?? Atlanta?? Los Angeles?? Maybe 16 by 2020??

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    Boston
    NJ SkyBlue(RedBulls' ownership)
    Washington
    Chicago
    Atlanta(2019)
    Orlando(2016)
    Western New York
    Toronto(2020)

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    Seattle
    Portland
    San Jose(2017)
    Los Angeles(2019)
    Houston
    Dallas(2020)
    Kansas City
    Salt Lake City(2017)

2. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Are you referring to the Atlanta investor group or the MLS Atlanta. The investor group is not going t0 happen, but maybe the MLS Atlanta group will be interested by then. Wouldn't be surprised that some of the other independent teams fall prey to being taken over by MLS teams, just depends on the demand. I am also not sure the LA market can be profitable enough for an MLS team. I don't see LA in 2019 or 2020. Maybe when they expand to 18 or 20 teams, the LA market will be ready.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My next 4

Cincinatti
    Sacramento
    Las Vegas
    Louisville

4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    none of those are MLS owned teams. The next four NWSL teams will all likely be owned by their MLS teams: Salt Lake City, San Jose, Minnesota & Atlanta. Sacramento won't see a NWSL team until they get a MLS team first.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, the title of the thread is "where would you like to see" instead of "where do you think" - this is a wishing thread, not a news/discussion thread.

That said, where have you heard buzz about Minny&ATL? Neither has ever been mentioned by anyone else in the other news-based expansion threads.

And I wouldn't be so sure about Sac... Both Indy (NASL) and Pittsburgh (USL) have expressed interest, and FCKC is run by a MASL team, so it's not MLS-or-bust by any means. Sac is a near lock for MLS anyway, so if they wanted a NWSL team early, I'm sure they probably would get it.

6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    It's been reported that MLS' Minnesota United has it in their contract that a NWSL expansion team will also play at their new SSS.

7. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    With the Garber statement that was recently made, "I think you will very soon see half our clubs investing in women's teams", shows there is a lot more interest being generated now. So with the heightened awareness of what is going on with the existing MLS teams now owning NWSL franchises, it is not inconceivable that Minnesota or Atlanta would be considering it. The 23,403 that attended Orlando's inaugural home opener, I am sure peaked Atlanta's interest.

Realistically, you put an MLS in front of Sacramento Republic and they become a very serious candidate. I like Sacramento Republic as one that most likely has a chance once that happens. There are some similarities with the Portland and Orlando areas that indicate they too, could be one of those areas that would do very well with an NWSL team. The newer additions to the MLS, show they have the strong financial backing, and in the case of Sacramento, have shown the ability to sell-out every game in their small stadium that holds around 11,500.

In the first round, which I suspect will happen in 2017, it is highly unlikely, since the league has expressed the desire to find teams out west in closer proximity to Portland and Seattle, but certainly would put them in the mix for the next round.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not that I'm disagreeing with you on the surface, but you could have written your response about any MLS team. There's nothing about a general increase in interest that would point specifically to Minny or ATL. toad's response about the stadium contract has actual juice.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes, them joining MLS would in theory make their case stronger. However, they're basically an MLS team already with the organization they've built, there's no reason they couldn't join NWSL before promoting to MLS. If they chose to express interest now, they would already be a serious candidate.

TsovLoj repped this.
  10. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I know when I've talked to the front office and asked they've said "maybe in the future we'd be interested" which is about the most glass half full/empty answer possible.

11. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    #36 warh2os, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Well that would probably work for them, it would likely be 4 to 6 years in the future before they would be considered anyway.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sounds about the same as LAFC's take on NWSL. Not very committal, but at least they're giving it lip service, which is more than most MLS teams.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This just popped for what it's worth

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ewewew.... After the 'Caps ditched their W-League team on the eve of NWSL starting, I don't want them anywhere near the league. Them slinking back over to the league now that it looks like a good investment makes them leeches to me.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The big rub here is the type players ud like to stock Vancouver with to get them off on the right foot just took services to France.

16. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Sinclair signed with a team in France?

17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of a sudden, we're getting a ton of news about momentum toward an MLS club here in San Diego. Anybody here from the area know whether an NWSL team is attached?

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    *blows dust off thread*
    I view the other thread for discussion of things that actually appear to be happening, which is why I'm reviving this thread to drop this article, RT'd on the NWSLmedia account:
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/nwsl-expansion-could-see-teams-added-in-usl-cities/17788280/
    End of the article mentions five USL clubs (and two USL clubs about to jump to MLS) that the author believes might be good fits for joining NWSL team ownership. An interesting list, though the only one I'd give a second thought to (at the moment) is Sac. Anyone else excited at the thought of some of the other mentioned clubs? (Louisville, SanAn, Phoenix, Hartford(??))

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louisville City owners are spending $130 million plus state aid to build a 11,300 seat stadium starting next month. They may want the cement dust to settle before making an expansion into NWSL.

I think Phoenix has the momentum to start a women's team with success on the field and full stands.

San Antonio has a nice stadium and plenty of money behind them. They do have the little problem of having to pay the city $5 million if they don't bring a MLS team to the city by 2022.

Hartford is a bit speculative. They couldn't get more than about 3,000 butts on seats for a MLS match (though it was organized last minute with very little marketing). Let's see how the men's team fair.

20. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    If they could start out doing the kind of numbers that North Carolina is doing, it might be a good move on their part.

Only if they play in an enclosed stadium

With the possiblity of the MLS Crew relocating to Austin, makes it highly unlikely they get a MLS franchise. I wonder if the relocation happens, why they couldn't sue the MLS for the loss of the $5 million.

Agree, can't see that happening.