Future Locations of the World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by SoccerFan8270, Nov 3, 2003.

1. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Don't bet your mortgage on anything!

You are right,this is the bottom line, and because of it promises to places like Brazil may not be honoured. Look at the FIFA executive promise in 1999 that Africa would get the WC in 2006.

Even with the WC being awarded this May to an African country, I would expect that there will be conditions such as a strict construction timetable
    attached (look at the present screwups in construction for the Athens Olympics). This, and perhaps social chaos or terrorism MAY cause the 2010 World Cup switched at the last minute to the USA, who need no preparation. Also, FIFA may backtrack on the "South America in 2014" promise before the award in 2008, or may switch afterward for the same reasons.

The USA may be hosting another World Cup sooner than many of us think.

2. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Re: Don't bet your mortgage on anything!

You are exactly right my Canadian friend. Adidas, Avaya and the rest of the sponsors definately will put in to have a USA WC soon.

3. simplysoccerBR

simplysoccerBR New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Curitiba
    No, I am not. Poland has a chance to be chosen, especially after entering EU. They tend to be more integrated to Europe and to improve their PNB. I'm not saying they have more chance than England, but I am quite sure they will get a WC before 2024.

4. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Poland has far too insufficuent stadia.
    http://www.worldstadiums.com/europe/countries/poland.shtml

FIFA rules state that a host now needs a minumum of 10 40,000 seat stadiums, and they have to be state of the art. Poland has only one 40,000 stadia, and from what I understand just about all
    the stadia are decrepit communist holdovers. With globalization, it is harder for governments to build massive public structures. No way Poland will be prosperous enough to do the needed building from scratch over the next twenty years. More like two generations. 2050 at the earliest.

5. Ronaldo+10

Ronaldo+10 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Well the sponsors dont have executive votes on fifa. If money was the only issue, then fifa wouldn't even bother to have a world cup out of Europe. 2010 to Africa and 2014 to Brazil are locks unless some major Economic meltdown (depression style)occured on these countries. Which i don't beleive is gonna be the case. Then we have 2018 up for grabs, which Uefa will clearly want back. So the best bet for the Us is 2022, but even then if the rotation is still working and concacaf gets the cup, mexico will be a strong contender since the Us got 1994.

6. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    http://www.uruguay2030.org/

Uruguay seems pretty sure of themselves.
    I like the logo. Good design.

I hope Mexico gets a WC before 2030. It would be nice to have the first country to host 2 WC to also be the first to hold 3.

7. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Nice logo, but nothing else there!

Are they going to have all 64 matches in the one stadium?

Nice idea, but it's all hot air. Is oil going to be found in Uruguay in the next few years so that they can build the extra nine 40,000-plus seat stadia? Reality is so far from this proposal, it's almost tragic-comical.

8. Ronaldo+10

Ronaldo+10 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Re: Nice logo, but nothing else there!

Besides the centenario, they have another 4 stadiums that could easily be upgraded tp 40000 seats. So they would need to build 5 new stadiums.
    Im sure they could do that, but fifa would probably give them a 10-15 year notice to acomplish everything. I have a feeling they would end up getting it because of the 100 years thing.

9. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    In the same way Conmebol voted unanimously for Brazil to be the host of 2014 before Africa elected the host of 2010, I think that Conmebol will vote unanimously for Uruguay to have the WC in 2030.

There is absolutely no better way to celebrate the 100 years of the FIFA WC than to have a WC were it was born.
    The fact that Uruguay is located between Brazil and Argentina is going to help them, too.

Argentina is the only country that might think they deserve the WC in 2030 more than Uruguay, but I'm sure that they don't want to be hated forever by all Southamericans.

10. bennyf118

bennyf118 Member

Jun 5, 2002
    MD
    I think that based on economic and political factors, this is what we can expect:

2010 in South Africa
    2014 in Brazil
    2018 in England (god forbid Europe wait for more than 12 years, *rolls eyes*)
    2022 in Mexico (or US or Canada?)
    2026 in Italy (or Spain as a dark horse)
    2030 in Uruguay or Argentina

This gives Africa their first WC, and gives South America its strong bid for 2014 (there is NO way barring severe economic or political disaster that Brazil will not host this WC). Europe gets the next WC after waiting 12 years, and then it returns to the financially sound North American region. Europe then gets the next WC back, although I suppose it's possible that Asia or Oceania steal it if they build enough stadia. Finally, 2030, the centennial sees a South American side hosting again.

Just what the swirling mist in my crystal ball says...

11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I support Uruguay for 2030. Co-hosting with Argentina.

12. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sounds good to me. With the exception of Italia in 2026. This should go to the Aussies, but it wont.

13. Intermission

Intermission New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    From London to Oz...
    As someone who lives in Australia (ex-Pat), I think Australia definitely deserves a go. I've lived here through the Olympics, a Cricket World Cup, the Rugby World Cup and in 2006, the Commonwealth Games.

Although most of the stadia are built for Aussie Rules & Cricket, there are several which have the capacity for it. Stadium Australia in Sydney, Lang Park in Brisbane and from memory the Sydney Football Stadium has around 45,000 in it.

Then there's the oval shaped stadia like the MCG, Telstra Stadium, AAMI Stadium, Subiaco ecetra, as well as the smaller stadia like Canberra Stadium, Adelaide Oval ecetra.

But I think one thing that'll work against Australia is the rubbish timezone we're in. Any events during the day would be around 3-5am in Europe, and 10pm in North America.

I can't see FIFA giving it to Australia until Uruguay 2030. And even then I doubt it'd ever happen.

Intermission

14. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    bennyf118,

Suggest you get educated about the rest of the "world" (ie outside of the good old US of A).

Your comments on stadia in Asia & Oceania, show you know sfa about the two regions and the infrastructure already in place.

Andy T.

15. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Intermission,

You missed the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) as the 3rd large stadium which would be used in Sydney.

There are also a significant number of suitable football stadia in both Sydney (eg Parramatta & the Showground) & Melbourne which could easily be upgraded to FIFA WC standards, very quickly.

Cheers.

Andy T.

16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just a longshot...

Might Malaysia be considered at some point down the road? Not before China, but they have been building some nice stadiums.

17. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    im just wondering... since you all predict or say that england will get a bid for world cup in 2014 is it possible to 'spread the wealth' and have the host for that world cup for the british isles?

i know england has many a great stadia but wales ahs millenium stadium, and scotland has celtic park and hampden park. dunno if ireland or northern ireland have any good stadiums tho or very high quality ones at least.

in 2018 if usa gets a bid i hope they choose some better capacity stadiums maybe like michigan stadium cause i think its a very nice stadium, reliant stadium, maybe the rebuilt soldier field, home depot center is gonna be an obvious choice but they will probably have to add more seats since capacity is 30,000 something, and also the new chicago fire stadium will be something i think, so if usa gets to be hoste maybe that will be a venue also.

18. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    whoops wrong years i meant england in 2018 and usa in 2022

19. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By 2022 with any luck the Toolbox will be either massively expanded or it will be a second-division stadium. MLS should grow significantly in the next 18 years and who knows how many new stadia will be built by then. Between MLS and NFL there should be a plethora of big, modern stadia from which to choose, any time.

Also, like we did for the 2003 WWC, the US can step in on a moment's notice to host, should some future host country be suddenly unable to do so.

For the past two years I've been kicking myself for not being an active soccer fan in 1994. I watched Mexico 86 games on TV in Spanish when I was in high school, but then lost interest; it wasn't until Korea/Japan that I got interested in the sport again.

Saving my pennies for a trip to Germany in 2 years...

20. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Croke Park in Dublin will be one of the best stadia in the British Isles when upgrade is finished - only problem is that it is illegal to play soccer there at the moment.

(Croke Park is owned by the Gaelic Athletic Association, which bans the use of its stadia by "English" games such as soccer and rugby)

21. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    WC USA 94 made buckets of money.

Its seen as nuetral, can still put games in
    prime time for European TV.

Its back here in 2014 or 2010 if they decide about
    2009 that Africa can't get it together.

Also, don't underestimate the delegates thinking,
    "where do I want my expense paid trip - America is nice"

22. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When you look at Canada in terms of venues, it has three large stadiums that can be used to start: BC Place in Vancouver , Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, and Olympic Stadium in Montreal. One would only have to hope that Olympic Stadium doesn't crumble in the near future. New stadia would also have to be built with others upgraded.

Here's a feasibility sudy done by the CSA on a bid.
    http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/docs/wcstudy-eng.pdf

23. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    \

Actually, my understanding was that that's EXACTLY the rotation to be used. If "Americas" becomes "South America" then the US could come up again on the next ROW round

06 Germany
    10 S. Africa/Morrocco
    14 Brazil
    18 England
    22 US
    26 Argentina (or if the Uruguay 2030 is the plan, perhaps Europe moves up one here, giving up the 2030 slot.

In reality, no rotation scheme is likely to last more than a few world cups anyway. By 2030, Europe's economy will have collapsed when half the continent is under water and the rest is under the an ice sheet, China India and Brazil will be the big economic powerhouses, and the US will have declined after having bankrupted itself trying to occupy every country from Algeria to Iran, resulting in political chaos when the return of widespread starvation in the US leads to rioting and civil unrest.

But other than that, feel free to project indefinitely into the future. ;)

G.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    - Europe won't have to wait for complete rotations

- The United States will see another WC sooner rather than later. There's too much money to be made. And an US WC won't be played in any MLS stadia. It'll be in the Rose Bowl and other large NFL stadia because they'll be able to sell all the tickets. If any nation has to back out, look for the US to fill in as emergency host (like the WWC 2003)

- Austraila/New Zealand. I just don't see it on the horizon. Deserved or not, they just don't have the political power. Plus there are some hurt feelings over the 2006 vote that will last for a long time. Their best bet is to merge with Asia, but then China will likely get Asia's next turn.

- 2010. I'd like to see Morrocco win. South Africa is the betting favorite. But I wouldn't count Egypt out. By giving the 2010 Cup to Egypt, FIFA will be giving a Cup to 1) an African country, 2) a Muslim country, and 3) a Middle East country (which will allow East Asia - China - take Asia's next slot). Just a thought.

- Poland. I just don't see it. We'll see at least one more western Europe host before eastern Europe gets one, and then I would expect Russia or even the Czech Republic to make more competitive bids than Poland - but it's still a long ways off.

- Don't forget that 25 years ago FIFA's only two "products" were the World Cup and Olympic Tournament. Now, off the top of my head their products are:
    1) FIFA World Cup
    2) Womens World Cup
    3) Confederations Cup
    4) Men's Olympic Tournament (U-23)
    5) Women's Olympic Tournament
    6) World Youth Championship (Men's U-20)
    7) Women's U-19 World Championship
    8) Boy's U-17 World Championship
    9) World Futsal Championship
    10) FIFA Club World Cup

Discounting the two Olympic tournaments, FIFA is using the other properties to "spread the wealth" to a lot of countries that aren't likely to ever see a World Cup, or see one for a very long time.

- Finally, the Uruguay 2030 site is owned by some guy in Brazil:
    Domain Name:URUGUAY2030.ORG
    Created On:09-May-2000 17:49:50 UTC
    Last Updated On:25-Oct-2003 03:04:15 UTC
    Expiration Date:09-May-2004 17:49:50 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:R71-LROR
    Registrant Name:Claudio Fern?ndez Rodr?guez
    Registrant Organization:uruguay2030
    Registrant Street1:Gen. Ib? Ilha Moreira 415-105
    Registrant City:porto Alegre
    Registrant Postal Code:90340-190
    Registrant Country:BR
    Registrant Email:fdez@iee.ufrgs.br
    Admin ID:E4F1E786AE2CACED
    Admin Name:Claudio Fern?ndez Rodr?guez
    Admin Organization:uruguay2030
    Admin Street1:Gen. Ib? Ilha Moreira 415-105
    Admin City:porto Alegre
    Admin Postal Code:90340-190
    Admin Country:BR
    Admin Email:fdez@iee.ufrgs.br

25. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The problem with the World Cup in the future is that unless a radical approach is taken, their is going to be a big crash in the end.

One could see that with the Summer Olympics when you deal with the problems from 68-84 (Cost overuns, terrorism, and boycotts). The olympic movement has only recently recovered.

No doubt that 2010 would hopefully bring the World Cup back to it's roots rather than relying on who had the most bucks or the most prestigous country.