Natural Born Striker - The Mason Greenwood thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For sure people will read into it what they will.

In other vidoes when not talking about Mason he has also stressed the clubs "values".

Looking at things dispassionately for a moment, regardless of where you stand on the Mason issues - just from a PR perspective you don't throw around and emphasise the word 'values' so often if you intend to reintegrate him.

If you are smart (and regardless of what people think of him he is smart) you don't put all these values quotes out there to be thrown back at you if you intend to take that course.

That is my read on this trying to look at it without any emotion. Time will tell :)

thefly repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I read his quote about Mason and took it the exact opposite way. I think it sounds like a lifeline. If he stood by the decision made by the Glazers, it would have been easy to just repeat it and mention the values stuff and that they wish him the best in his career and recovery. Instead, he basically says they are going to re-evaluate the previous decision and make their own. That tells me the door is open.

With that said, if I had to bet, I would say he still leaves. A big polarizing decision like bring him back isn't something a brand new owner wants to have as one of the first big things he does. Also, if he does plan to sell him, it reduces his value if he says we don't want him here, especially with clubs like Barca and Atletico sniffing around.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Greenwood has shown he's still an elite talent, but after what he did I would be happy if he nets us 50-70 mil and ********s off.

Serengeti_Boy and thefly repped this.
  3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All I have read about him suggests he will not be bound in any way by prior Arnold / Glazer decisions.

He appoints trusted people and delegates like any smart successful manager.

This will be determined by Brailsford / Berada / Ashworth with SJR rubber stamp. The “values” thing is key to the United brand and culture and he has reinforced that. Brailsford likewise in his prior interviews on values and culture.

People are looking at this as a new decision (which it is) but I just dont see it resolving any differently given the above.

Just think he gets sold. Time will tell.

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We will see. I don’t think it’s that cut and dry. I think that’s the right choice, but I don’t know SJRs politics enough to guess which way he’ll lean. SJR will also want to turn results on the field positive as soon as possible and to get a player that will undoubtedly help do that for free is probably very tempting.

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    As I have said, it would be a massive PR job for the club, especially after how Arnold botched it. Not sure it is worth the undertaking. I read that quote as him being guarded. He could have said no but hasn't made a decision. It seems Mason will be sold but they won't tell anyone until it happens.

6. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    You guys are being so dramatic. It wouldn't be that difficult, the public's attention span is hilariously small. The main problem would be integrating him back into the dressing room after public backlash from his teammates. That and him being strong enough to deal with player and fan abuse during games.

jscott23 repped this.
  7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this fanbase couldn't consolidate or keep their eyes on the Glazer Out prize, and you think they're going to be able to do it for Greenwood? Give me a break.

benni... repped this.
  8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. The public blowback would be short lived as long as no big sponsors pulled out. But the heat he’s getting now in La Liga would be amplified times a million in England. And yeah, the dressing room could be a problem.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Think the public attention span for sexual assault charges may surprise you (esp ones that are rape charges with audio & video) …

One other factor - any funds from the sale of Greenwood are again pure profit from an FFP (EPL PSR) point of view.

10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    as long as the decision makers are fair and not over-emotional about it that's about the best he could hope for. Sancho too actually

11. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Public attention for murdering thousands of migrant workers never even slipped on the radar for Qatar.

benni... and SF19 repped this.
  12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Comparisons to non-UK , non-celeb, non-sexual events dont really apply, besides I didnt say it to make a moral point.

For example the UK papers wont let this go, nor will celeb fans like Rachel Riley, nor will those on the womens team who briefed the press.

The club did the delaying for time, announcing he would return, backing down due to backlash gig before.

I just dont see Ineos making the same mistake.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Like I said the club botched it. The gave him no public image read events with battered women. This situation called for Olivia Pope instead we got Michael Scott.

Father Ted and SF19 repped this.
  14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica