Future Ex-Utd Players - The Mason Greenwood thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 19, 2019.

1. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In MG case, can't say specifically whether it is an education issue. In a broader sense it could be an education issue as well as accountability.

An alcoholic can know that he has a problem but still need the support of the AA system. So yes players know not to abuse women violently or otherwise but it still happens. Maybe clubs should have a support system similar to AA that could be mandatory in some ways and voluntary in others that constantly addresses this. Therapy sessions and counseling if necessary. Not just for domestic abuse issues but for financial issues social issues handling the media travel foreign country etc etc I have to think these things should be covered periodically and not just a one-time thing. Maybe these things already are in place and I just don't know about it being not intimately involved the club behind the scenes.

In an event greenwood needs some help, therapy and rehabilitation process. My main point was that the young lady should be afforded the same. At least it should be offered and it's up to her to accept or not.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No, he could simply say I need some help and I'm getting it with support of the club family blah blah. In this case it would be how it is communicated and not so much what is said. Does not have to admit anything.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Right. The rehabilitation arc being suggested mostly seems to be around the idea that if he makes it up to the club and the fans then all good.

johno repped this.
  4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I disagree. He didn't call someone a name. He didn't hurt someone's feelings. He committed a crime for which there is a penalty. There is no way to own that without admitting that you did the crime. Admitting that you did it in a way that doesn't incur a penalty is not owning it. Owning your actions includes owning the consequences of them.

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That is probably what he and his lawyers are going over. Verbage is critical for his contract with sponsors, the club, and criminal law so I imagine he will side step a traditional apology.

6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SF19 repped this.
  7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Leaving the morality debate and what people want to happen to one side for a moment, it feels like this will be one of those situations where the different sponsors and club will all look at each other to see how each other plays this.

Each will have different views and contract clauses. The club will use the investigation line to kick this issue into the post-season grass (also conveniently post-sale if that happens).

Nike saying the previous personal sponsorship is done may sway club sponsors which in turn may sway the club. Not sure he has any other personal sponsorships.

That said the bar to terminate using employment contract clauses given no prosecution will be much harder for the club than the bar for sponsorship clauses (given employment law entanglements) you would think.

I would be surprised if there is any movement from the club from the investigating line until at least June. Especially with a possible sale in progress.

SF19 repped this.
  8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I expect the club will do an investigation to see if they cancel his contract without paying him.

If they cannot, I think they'll announce termination by 'mutual consent' about a week after we sign a player.

SF19 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They’ll wait until summer when it’s not a distraction and there’s less coverage. Then they’ll axe him. No way they bring him back. The fan and sponsor fallout would be too great. Especially when the club is trying to be sold.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Precisely that's why I think they'll try to bury it after we sign some players.

11. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    In fairness, Cantona never apologized for kicking that guy. He even made a Nike advert that made light of it not long after the dust settled.

12. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember Ronaldo apologizing for the Kathryn Mayorga incident, and he never will because he's too valuable for both teams and sponsors. Mason Green will be a very good player for someone. Cutting all ties will not be in anyone's best interest. Taking a page from CR7 our young academy prodigy should hire a great PR firm if he wants to resurrect his career. He's got the money Ravel Morrison never had, and hopefully he's got good advisors. This can still work out for all parties unless he's just a hopeless dumbass. In that case, we don't want him.

SF19 repped this.
  13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Make of this what you will ….

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That guy has no business being responsible for another life. He has enough trouble with his own.

15. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    It's just to help his plea imo. I dislike what he did. He needs therapy and maybe can change like Kobe out of controversy.

But he needs to get that help first and leave England IMO. Away fans won't allow that recovery period.

SF19 and Deadtigers repped this.
  16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You think he knocked her up to get out of a charge that’s already been dropped? Interesting.

IMO it’s more likely it’s just young dumb kids not using protection…because they’re dumb.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Young and dumb go together like butter and toast.

I will stick with my initial stance that he needs to go to a league out of the glare of the English media and then try and repair his image.

SF19 repped this.
  18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Go to the MLS. We have tons of sex offenders and spousal abusers in professional sports here. He’ll fit right in.

SF19 and Anonymous_United repped this.
  19. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I share that sense he has to leave before he can make any kind of comeback, but I think he makes that comeback more quickly, or at all, by taking a big step with a public acknowledgment about where he went wrong and how he's not that kind of man. I'll certainly have a lot more respect for him if he at least does that much.

jscott23 and Deadtigers repped this.
  20. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Wonder what ETH thinks

21. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    ^ whatever the wifey thinks lol.

22. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed! I'd love to see him and the Mrs. sit down with the club leadership, EtH, etc., take full responsibility for his actions, and plead his case. Both sets of parents seem to be giving them the support they will certainly need to have a stable family and happy home life. They seem absolutely committed to each other, and by all accounts have been for the better part of 4+ years. I'd also like to see my club take a young couple under their wing and give them the support and guidance they will need to handle the media and fan scrutiny. FFS! He's been in our club since he was eight years old. This club stood by Ryan Giggs. Chelsea stood by that piece of shit John Terry. United can do better, and should do better than kick him to the curb.

SF19 repped this.
  23. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting article in the Athletic about Greenwood. It paints the picture that Greenwood has always been sort of a problem behind the scenes and that United staff have had trouble keeping control of him.

25. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

https://tenor.com/US9A.gif