Future Ex-Utd Players - The Mason Greenwood thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 19, 2019.

1. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1514901504154550276 is not a valid tweet id

Can this be true?

2. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only would that be an awful look for the club, but also feel that would create some awkwardness in the dressing room at a pivotal moment in the season.

4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Should see him continue to remain out of things for the next couple of months at least I would have thought.

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He'll never be back. Even if he gets through the criminal stuff, they will then terminate his contract for misconduct. There are loads of clauses to protect the brand/sponsors etc.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hope he doesn't come back, but the back to training soon reports worried me - it had the feeling of a toe in the water deliberate but anonymous leak to the press by someone at the club to guage the response.

The news from the police seems to have put that to rest for a few months.

Fact is though if he avoids criminal action, it will come down to a call from the owners. Hopefully they determine that the reputational damage / sponsorship issues tip the scales. Don't under-estimate the power of them playing for time though.

If at some point it comes down to pure money, then I think we all know how the Glazers may well see it - ie purely in terms of the value of their approx £100m "asset".

SF19 and jnielsen repped this.
  7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Greenwood is exonerated, either by the police or a jury, then he should be welcomed back with open arms.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He won't be exonerated, whatever you mean by that.

Even if it doesn't go to trial, as a question of employment law, Utd will be able to investigate / terminate at a civil standard of proof.

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    In many respects it comes down to the sponsors who don't want to be paying money to have their brands sullied by these allegations. This is what happened with Israel Folau at Rugby Australia - it was actually the corporate sponsors who wanted him kicked out. As such, the player contracts have clauses that mean they have to be squeaky clean.

Deadtigers, Sofabloke and jnielsen repped this.
  10. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the physical evidence proves that the claims were false and he committed no crime.

Thats what exonerated means, in my book anyway.

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The court of public opinion matters nowadays. It would have to be more than just charges dropped. There would have to be evidence released that shows she faked or coerced him into the videos that were released.

If its just thrown out or settled in a civil suit, the backlash from fans and sponsors would be too big if we let him return.

Futbol_Head and jnielsen repped this.
  12. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I specified exonerated by a jury or the police said there wasn't enough evidence to support her claims. Settled out of court just means "Not Guilty for a fee", heck I'd still say he's guilty if there's a settlement out of court.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    not necessarily. this kind of funk is bad for a public figure true or not. best thing aside from a definitive false claim verdict is for it to go away quickly and it's not unusual for the accusers to be looking for a payday anyway. can be win/win for both in a weird way. or maybe more convenient for the public figure anyway.

i don't think that is the case here but i am just not convinced by what has been made public so far

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    jeff070 repped this.
  15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    My fellow United friends insist that he's going to be coming back in January. It's not that we can use them of course but his career here is done, I think we can all agree on that.

16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I don't know. He had bad evidence against him and I suspect from the little we know there's more. It's taken so long to get his case decided. He could, unlikely, come back, but would United or the fans want that? Someone mentioned how sponsors have clauses that kick out players for crimes to protect their image . Would they stick to that or allow him back? I think the consensus is Rashford is good but just not that #9 United are dying for.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know anything about the case, but this isn't a particularly long time to wait.

jeff070 repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Unfortunately, you are correct

IIRC there was reform recently to stop Police putting suspects on police bail for indefinite periods that turned into years.

jeff070 repped this.
  19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Greenwood will never play another game for United again. The public evidence was too damning. Even if he’s cleared of all charges, the public backlash and possibly losing sponsors will force the clubs hand. At this point, they’re just waiting to see if he’s charged to know if he needs to be released or if we can void his contract for free.

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed.

Typically a club disciplinary process would occur only after the criminal process concludes.

If CPS decides not to bring proceedings, Utd could still run their own investigation which would under civil law.

Unless he could prove on the balance of probabilities it was all a false allegation, I suspect his career is over.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You are all idealistic. We all like to think that mass negative press on moral grounds will be sustained long enough for the owners too get rid of him. People are incredibly short slighted and the whole thing would blow over after X period of time. Just a matter of if the owners think he's worth it. People will go back supporting their club afterwards.

X - don't know what X is but it is not long enough for the club to go under from making the decision to keep him

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Possibly. I think there would be a huge outcry if he came back. Like last month when you guys talked about signing a white nationalist and then had to change your minds.

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Purely my opinion - he just wasn't worth the trouble. If he was Messi reincarnated ten bucks he would be in the field yesterday.

We can rail and complain but we would be cheering his goals and wins if materialized.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    IMO he is done unless its another amber-Depp saga though chances are slim to none.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Even Depp's career will never be the same. If I see him in a movie now, I'll just think "that guy stuck a Jack Daniels in his ass."

Deadtigers and Anonymous_United repped this.