"Futebol dos Gringos" 2014/15 thread [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Next Champions League Winner?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2015.
  1. Real Madrid

11.5%
  2. Barcelona

19.2%
  3. Atletico Madrid

7.7%
  4. Bayern

11.5%
  5. Chelsea

19.2%
  6. Manchester City

3.8%
  7. PSG

15.4%
  8. Other

11.5%
  1. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Produce

2. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What? lol I asked for your stat that you used in your argument. I didn't use any stats in mine, just simple common knowledge. If you use a stat like 20 percent be ready to show it if someone asks.

3. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Just trying to show you that your sources will be as good as mine, links to articles and hearsays. None concrete with official documentation.

That's why

simple common knowledge is that every year players cancel their contracts due to non payment of wages. Every single year that happens

4. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I guess we're so used to the wage situation in Brazil some of us don't see that as a big deal. Every time i see a player ending his contract in the court system and the fan response is... He shouldn't have been paid to begin with he's horrible! i shudder and it scares me a bit.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just to add to my comment. Fabregas is really the only one that makes "sense" to go. Barca has it's defensive problems, but this year, the problems up front have also increased. It's clear they need a change up front as well. Messi and Neymar, Iniesta are obviously not going anywhere. Xavi probably feels like he can still play most games and Barca won't push him out because of history, at least not for now. That leaves Alexis, Pedro, and Fabregas. Neither are positions that Fabregas plays in. Alexis at least defends very well. If you get rid of Pedro, you're just theoretically getting rid of a player who will warm the bench more and more if Neymar's potential is realized. So you're not really changing anything. That leaves Fabregas.

6. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Riquelme is the most dramatic player in World Football. He literally has a novela every year of his career.

7. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The MLS's two biggest problems are the lack of tradition and media coverage. It's tough to overcome the fact that the league is so new and most adult fans were probably already fans of some other team before. I have the Dynamo in my hometown, and I've been to several games, but it's almost like watching a game between friends in a neighborhood field. It seems like there's no passion, rivalries, etc. It's entertaining for the kids, and hopefully they will someday grow to become die-hard fans, but as much as I try to get into it, I have a hard time.
    I think one way of expediting the process would be for MLS teams to play in the Libertadores. A few group stage games at places like La Bombonera, Defensores del Chaco, Maracanã, will get the US teams a sense of what tough competition is like. Most South American teams have a big enough fan base in the US to make the home games in the US a success as well, so everybody wins. The MLS players get some real experience, the Libertadores gains exposure to the American market (which totally ignores the competition today), the South American teams try to get some fans that today are probably watching the Premier League, or Spanish League.
    Travel would be complicated, due to the long distances, but nowadays most teams already put so much emphasis on the Libertadores, that domestic games end up being played by a secondary squad anyways.

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Idk about domestic SA lgs taking a back seat. I mean a small club like Arsenal Sarandi will play reserves while in the libertadores but the trend this year was the opposite of what you suggested in Argentina, Brazil, and Ecuador. MLS teams consistently lose to reserve mexican sides so shouldn't they at least win a concacaf champions lg before being thrown in the libertadores?

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I don't like the idea of combining Concacaf CL with Libertadores.. too many teams would end up being included. But for the sake of Libertadores... coming to the US would really do wonders for the tournament and for the SA leagues.

10. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The value of the MLS teams in the Libertadores in my opinion is not to increase the quality of play, but to bring it into the American Market.
    I may be wrong about use of reserves in domestic leagues, but the feeling I get, at least in Brazil, is that with the Libertadores being mostly played in the first semester, before the national league begins, most of teams are fielding reserves in the state championships.

11. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We don't have to change the format of the 32-team field of the Libertadores. Just add more "pre-Libertadores" qualifiers.

The UEFA Champions League starts with 77 teams that knock themselves around until they reach 32. So by taking some MLS teams, we don't have to take away any spots currently being awarded.

12. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Putting MLS teams in the Copa Libertadores is a waste of time!! It would be like putting high school teams in the NBA playoffs

13. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #63 Emperor Adriano, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    They already added the mexican teams for the American market. Liga mx has higher tv ratings in the USa than MLS by a pretty decent margin iirc. People always get sucked into drinking the kool aid during the wc because they see espn cover it. MLS tv ratings are shockingly low, Espn isn't going to cover or get exited about Velez x Dc united. State Championships are a complete outlier, I love them but they are pretty much preseason.

14. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    MLS is still a pretty local thing, most fans being in love with their teams but from their cities

15. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
  16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Guigs repped this.
  17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Manchester City ofereceu €35 milhões por Benatia, um dos melhores zagueiros da última temporada. Roma quer €30 milhões + Nastasic.

Castan has to be praying this move doesn't go through....

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Suarez to Barca is done.

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That move makes zero tactical sense. Neymar, Messi and Suarez are going to get in each others way, and Neymar and Suarez are much better on the counter than against the packed defenses they're going to see in La Liga every week.

20. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Poor Neymar, he went into the Titanic when it was already half way across the Atlantic, he'll only get to see it sinking..

barcelona hasn't even addressed their defensive problems.. Masch is still their center defender

21. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    True, they needed a new cb for 3 years now haha.

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When Ronaldinho first arrived at Barca, the situation was worse.

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Barcelona plan on outscoring their opponents duh. Lolz

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Sure, they were still recovering from the post Figo fiasco (Giovanni! lol) and they still have a crazy amount of talent. But they have surprisingly few younger players ready to contribute and I don't really see how their talent is going to gel on the pitch.
    All that said, they should finish second in the league by force of talent alone, of course. I don't see Atletico maintaining this form - too many things went right for them last season.

25. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Real Madrid league to lose, but then again we've been saying that for a decade now.