"Futebol dos Gringos" 17/18 thread [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi had a couple of bad games vs PSG, but he was better vs Juve. Can't judge a whole season based on a couple of games. And he slaughtered RM without Neymar on the pitch keeping Barca fighting for the league all season long. Neymar had a bunch of shit games in L Liga and his finishing was piss poor. Yeah Messi walks around the pitch quite a bit, without trying to get the ball often but that also gives Neymar more chances to influence the game.

They get score on easier because they don't press as well up top as they used to. Busquets was always slow. Iniesta and Xavi were never fast either. Gomes was a shit addition to the team too. The problem has been than other than Neymar and Messi , nobody creates scoring chances anymore. They need to fix the midfield.

And honestly I don't like when Neymar is too much of the central focus of the team letting him roam around as he wishes. Tite fixed the team by having him player more like he does at Barca.

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    PSG and the French League are too small for Neymar.

There are way bigger platforms available for him to take the next step commercially and football wise.

It shows lack of ambition (doesnt care to win CL)

3. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    The highlands between DRC and Rwanda
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The lack of ambition really isn't true in this case because you aren't in his mental thinking and there are other ways to look at it when thinking ambition/raising your self worth. People who are ambitious tend to get bored in the same hierarchy epsecially if they are not dominant. PSG is a bigger challenge if we look at it from an ambition perspective. You are acting like he is going to lazio or someone a level up like arsenal. You can compete for a champions lg at psg, especially if Neymar wants to transition into that Messi/Ronaldo category. I think it's plenty ambitious and I think we have seen a Neymar more capable of doing it. Look at seleção. What's ambitious about being number 3 in the Barcelona hierarchy ?? And bigger platforms like England ? He doesn't want to play there and English teams have been showing how far off they are from being real threats in the champions lg.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  4. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And how many teams can legit win a champions lg ? Psg is in the short list if Neymar signs.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think a Neymar move to PSG would make PSG into CL contenders. And he should consider the move; it is very reasonable of him to make the next step in his career and step out of Messi's shadow. No use in spending prime years on Messi's team waiting for the reins to be handed over to him if he has a desire to be seen as the best player in the world.

6. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can't disagree at all , I would just add that while Neymar can be a bit of a ball hog , it really helps especially if teams are parking the bus. The seleção transformation is one reason why I think he's ready for his own team. Psg has weapons he can work with. And your completely right about the Barca midfield , it's one reason why I think it's plausible to leave the squad. New manager just isn't enough for me. I think Messi's lack of running has been hurting too.

Mengão86 repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It is definitely an interesting challenge to lead PSG to a CL title. Mainly because it's something that is "new" in the recent CL context. It's something that would look great for his legacy. Another incentive for him to move would be, even if he stays at Barca and waits for Messi to finally leave or slow down enough not to be the protagonist, he will still be in Messi's shadow. Simply because of how good Messi was for Barca. I think that's something that is insurmountable for Neymar to overcome because of how good Messi was and the perfect storm he had with great teammates. That's a golden era that will be nearly impossible to reproduce. On the negative side, while he may win a CL at PSG, he will lose significant exposure from the point view that I don't think a lot of people will suddenly start watching the French league because of him other than Brazilians. And nobody will care much if he only wins the French league title.

As for him being number 3 at Barca, I'd say it's not because he hasn't had the chance to shine more than Suarez and Messi, those 2 have helped his performance more than hinder it.

Honestly if I was Neymar I'd be thinking more about what's Barca's potential in the next few seasons rather than make a decision based on personal glory. Because in the end, what's going to count towards his legacy is team titles.

8. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You know it's funny Neymar shares a Feb 5th birthday with another ego driven glory hound......CRISTIANO RONALDO!!!:whistling:

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar and Ronaldo are really not that much alike.

afar repped this.
  10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alves patched up that midfield with his creativity in the 15-16 season.....

celito repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looking like Neymar will go. PSG and Barca announcing press confs today.

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Reports say Alves chose PSG over City because Neymar told Alves he was going to PSG.

I heard other reports say that Neymar changed his mind and wants to stay at Barca, but Neymar Sr. wants the PSG move.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    His dad being "olheiro" was just a round about way to pay them more money on the side.

14. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Good move for the NT at least but he gonna need to lead PSG to a champions league to get that validation.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why is it a good move for the NT ?

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm conflicted by this move as I can see the pros and cons to both

I think the French league has taken steps since the days of Lyon reigning supreme. There is a ton of young talent coming out of the league and Neymar's arrival may help with the continued growth of the league. I actually watched more than I ever have last season of the French club, mainly due to Monaco. I still think La Liga is the superior league, but the French league has grown on me. I once considered it comparable to the Portuguese league.

17. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Brazilian contingent practicing with each other everyday. At club level and national team, should build some great chemistry.

18. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    It's has taken steps but it is still view as an inferior league. Neymar can take the league by storm and the view will be its only the Ligue 1.

19. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The talent coming out of french lg the past 5 years speaks for itself.

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    All that means its a feeder league.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some of these media outlets completely faked everyone out saying these press conferences were unscheduled . They were just pre game confs. What a joke .

Harambe Alvinegro repped this.
  22. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    never addressed my point in the other post. Who in England is a legit threat in Europe right now? Chelsea? ehh... The EPL top to bottom strength works for generating tv ratings but the ultimate goal is champions lg then world cup. The top to bottom strenghth plus schedule hurts too, its not all one way. Plus who's the elite player in the EPL that people fear? Hazard? Pogba? Harry Kane? Sane? David Silva? Aguero? Gabriel Jesus ? Idk man. where's the legit difference maker besides Pogba in my list at an elite level that can overwhelm the other strong teams? People like Bale, Neymar, and Suarez are better than all those listed.

23. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar tips the scale, same with Bale. There's tons of really good players who don't. I hope he goes to PSG.

24. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Aguero's an elite striker, but fair point.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I dont disagree. EPL clubs are not quite as strong as 10 or so years ago. I still dont think PSG are so strong. Outside of Verratti they don't have an elite player.

I