Further Proof that Nothing Is Getting Done In Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mannyfreshstunna, Sep 28, 2003.

1. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
  2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honey, I'm glad they found those weapons and they won't now be used against our troops.

But we didn't invade them based on intelligence about hidden grenade launchers.

3. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    I'm only illustrating a point toots.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    But you're more happy that they weren't WMD, aren't you?

We invaded because they've been flaunting the terms of the Gulf War cease fire for over 10 yrs. AND they may have had WMD. I don't think we should feel bad about deposing a murderous tyrant.

5. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Wrong, wrong, and considering that the people we freed aren't all that grateful, I'm going to file that under "SFW."

6. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Wrong wrong. They are grateful ,but annoyed that they don't have control yet.

7. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Yeah, they're grateful alright, and they're showing it by killing GIs. People who are annoyed don't hurl grenades, they write petitions. People who are pissed off as hell hurl grenades.

8. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Hey, Dr. Ignorant! You're late.

You obviously can't tell the difference between Syrian insurgents and Iraqi civilians. You also can't distinguish between Saddam loyalists and peaceful Iraqis.

The people who are killing GI's arn't doing so because they are regular Iraqis who have been pushed to the edge. Rather they are mostly terrorists who have a goal in mind when they kill GI's. That goal is extricate the US prescence and install a fundamentalist theocracy.

9. DavidPablo

DavidPablo New Member

You expect them to be grateful? And because they are not, then we should not have helped them?

I posted before the invasion took place that as much as the Iraqis hated the Hussein regime, if if Americans expected them to be thankful, they would be dissapointed. Look, some could argue that Argentina's defeat at the Falklands caused the fall of the military Junta. We are all happy the Junta fell, but do you think there is even one Argentine who is thankful to Margaret Thatcher? I am not. To be frank, patriotism and pride, and our general dislike of colonialism won't allow it.

Obviously the situation is different. Unlike the Iraq situation, Thatcher did not send troops to Argentina to liberate them, but to keep her little colony. But the general principle remains. And Iraq is even more alienated from the west by culture, religion and ethnicity than Argentina ever was. So the point remains. Iraqis will celebrate the fall of Hussein, and also the day the Americans leave. Just consider the poll that claims that a majority of people in Iraq believe they will be better off in the future because of the invasion to be the closest thing you will ever get to a thank you note from Iraq. But that in itself does not invalidate the fact that America and its allies liberated them from a very evil ruler.

BTW: Dan Loney, do you also argue that we should not give welfare to the poor and the homeless, since they never say thank you and are not grateful to those of us who pay taxes? I just want to know if you are consistent with your reasoning.

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    What the Fvck do the poor and homeless have to be thankful for in America? That we don't gas them?

11. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you can from Naperville? That's some telescopic vision you've got there...

You submit "Syrian insurgents" because that's what Fox News told you to think and believe? Or you've got some meaningful data somewhere? Or you've been there? Give me something other than O'Reilly pontification, please, something independent...

12. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with Loney on this; this reasoning for invading Iraq was pure lip service. Flaunting the cease fire, while a serious offense, didn't call for an invasion costing thousands of civilian lives and hundreds of our people in uniform. No justification there. What WMD? Want to use 'deposing a murderous tyrant' as an excuse? Well why Saddam then? Those are a dime a dozen in this world.

The real reason (according to me) is that BUSH figured that exercising force in Iraq would have many side-effects. It would make countries that thought our armed forces were weak, to reconsider (let's admit that some folks must've crapped their pants at our efficiency and clear victory). This would make wielding our 'big stick' more meaningful when needing cooperation on the war on terror.

Second, if we succeed in rebuilding Iraq while introducing democracy, then other peoples may give our way of life a try instead of attacking it. This may form an avenue for Islamist in that region to understand the west a little better.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This I agree with. Don't know how many Americans would've supported an Iraq invasion for this reason alone. But it's a good start in the region IF it turns out well.

14. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with the big IF there, but it's worth a try, I think, because if it does work, that $87 billion will be a very cheap amount considering the other options.

We'll need to hold our breaths for a few years to see how it pans out. The media's highlighting logistical misteps really isn't helping the cause though.

15. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    No. Our GI's are IDing dead Syrian, Saudi, Jordanian insurgents etc after they kill them in a gun battle.

16. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Link please.

17. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    http://www.washtimes.com/national/20030807-112754-4609r.htm

slam dunk-
    http://www.dallasnews.com/waronterrorism/stories/082103dnintmagnet.9cf2.html

From the Dallas MN-"Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, in a Senate committee hearing last month, recounted that passports from foreign countries were found on the corpses of combatants who had opposed U.S. forces pushing toward Baghdad. In April, Air Force Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told CNN that a large number of the snipers, suicide bombers and others attacking coalition troops were non-Iraqis. (emphasis mine)

18. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Thanks for the info, but by asking for a link I was not challenging your assumption or statement, merely asking for facts.

But I now must challenge who the articles sourced. WOLFOWITZ. He doesn't have an agenda at all not one that would make him over look or leave out info. But I will not dispute there are foreign elements facing us in Iraq. I'd even bet a large portion of them are Iranian.

19. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Yes it was a statement by Paul W, but he wouldn't have said it if our GI's weren't finding those passports on these guys. The majority of these guys might be Iranian. I wouldn't past them at all, but don't forget all of the Syrians and Saudis.

Basically, the picture some are trying to paint is wrong. Iraqis don't hate us. They like what we did, and they want us to give them their country back ASAP. We want to leave ASAP, but the mission is far from completed.

Foreign terrorists have an evil agenda, and we must stop them.

20. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    You've been Judith Millered

21. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    SoFla: "What? the Iraqis don't hate us! Piffle! *covers ears* la la la la la la la la la."

22. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Is there a handy acronym for "rolling on the floor laughing my fucking ass off"?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/05/01/bush.carrier.landing/

Moments after the landing, the president, wearing a green flight suit and holding a white helmet, got off the plane, saluted those on the flight deck and shook hands with them. Above him, the tower was adorned with a big sign that read, "Mission Accomplished."

23. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less

i already told you the mission accomplished sign was stupid. They meant major combat against organized Iraqi military units is over. We won the war. We are now trying to win the peace.

24. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Back back back back back....GONE!

25. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Ahh that's cool...a Chris Berman reference. Well I'm convinced....

Read above your post gringo.