Further evidence tying Rove to Plame-outing

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Hard Karl, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    There are likely two (perhaps three) possibilities in this regard:

1) Rove lied to his boss about his involvement, who then told McClellan it was OK to stand at the podium and say that Rove was not involved

2) Rove told the truth to his boss about his involvement, who then nevertheless told McClellan it was OK to stand at the podium and say that Rove was not involved

(perhaps) 3) Bush et all decided it was better not to know the particulars, then still decided to send McClellan to the podium to swear to Rove's innocence.

The worst-case scenario for Bush is (obviously) no. 2, not least because it would mean he a) went back on his word to discipline/fire/whatever anybody involved (or more accurately said those statements to the press knowing he had no intention on carrying them out) and b) actually promoted someone he knew was involved.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Deputy Chiefs of Staff can't be impeached.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point Michael Russ! No...excellent point!

Valerie Plame's neighbors, friends, even her enemies, co-workers; all these are potential sources of her employment which the MEDIA refuses to accept! It's not even clear she was a NOC at this point! Her husband seems to be best and most likely source!

THIS STORY IS ABOUT ONLY ONE THING... Dems think they can get a jab at Bush via Rove... they smell blood.... they'll do anything to make their fictional version of events true... even lie....

4. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Touche

5. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I wouldn't wish that upon anybody.

6. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Unfortunately for supporters of the administration, like myself, if this latest story is true, SoFla Metro is right. If Rove actually was the person mentioned by Novak as confirming the story, than there is no excuse for their public statements. those statements are the sword they gave the Democrats, and I can't blame them for using it. If Rove was not completely straight with McClelland up front, he deserves to go.

BTW, my guess would be SoFla Metro's option 3.

7. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Hark the herald angels sing!

I think that's the least likely actually. That would require McClellan (who, keep in mind, never ever ever says anything from the podium that hasn't been dissected and approved from above - he's nothing but a mouthpiece) to make a definitive statement that could/would later be held against the administration if it turned out to be false (which it apparently was). I think options 1 or 2 are most likely, and right now it's a coin flip to me.

8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I think the only person likely to lose his job in all this is McClellan; unfortunate for the fact that Bush and Rove effectively threw him under the bus - strike that, the TRAIN - when they had him go out there and deny Rove's involvement. The WH press corps won't believe a thing he says now (if they ever really did), so he's toast.

9. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rove coordinated two political campaigns and has dealt with the media on a daily basis... it would be both a mistake and uncharacteristic of him to do what you are alleging... I doubt he made a mistake...

10. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    He was also fired from the first President Bush's '92 campaign for doing exactly what he did again. So, not exactly uncharacteristic of him.

11. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong and wrong. He's run a lot more than two campaigns, and he rarely speaks directly to the media. He may play them like the dupes that they all too often are, but he doesn't deal with them directly.

12. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (

Are you kidding!!! This is exactly what Rove does. Ya know, W's pop fired him once already for being a devious b*stard. Remember the whisper campaigns and the push polls about McCain's "illegitimate" kid? This deal has Rove written all over it.

13. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not the case. He might not speak on the record very often but he apparently spent quite a lot of time talking to reporters on background.

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe someone else already noted this, but you're "forgetting" that it was established almost two years ago that 6 different reporters got the information.

Kanute, is it your position that the leakers, *6* times!!!, accidentally let it slip at the end of a conversation originally on another topic?

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true. It's only the jurors and other court personnel who can commit this crime.

It's like, Novak committed no crime when he outed Plame. The person who told him, however, did.

PS...it would be wholly unsurprising if Rove or his attorney were the leaker.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People seem to be forgetting, so I'll remind them, that there were (at least) *2* leakers, and, again, at least 6 leakees.

Alot of the conversation here is made irrelevant or even wrong by those two facts.

BTW, he revealed her IDENTITY. That's all the statute requires.

18. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A Republican special prosecutor is not going to drag the most powerful man in Republican politics through the wringer and jail a NY Times reporter unless he knows he has the goods to nail somebody to the wall.

19. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    When do the Congressional hearings start?

20. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't some GOP senator (anonymously) tell Tim Russert that if Democrats were involved, the Republicans would certainly be calling for hearings?

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    That's what Russert said on the Today Show.

EDIT: He just said it was a Republican. Didn't identify him/her as a Senator.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Continue disussion here...

thread closed.