PBP: Fullback

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Marko72, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why doesnt he go to a game and observe the player for himself, ffs.

I remember Jurgen explaining the DWilliams call up this way: his manager says he is really good. :cautious:

Klinsmann needs a lb, he can get on a plane and go to Colorado tomorrow and see our best prospect play. He might even see some other good players.

2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Toljan just got a start for Hoffenheim so Klute is down to 5th.

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how good is this kid Toljan?

4. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You honestly think JK works like that? I don't think so, I think he might be less willing to experiment since we have so many out.

I cant believe some are asking for GCam to play a position we dont even have seems kind of silly considering he is having a very nice opening to the season as a RB. We don't reallyeven use a CDM, we use two 8's. I do not think it wise to expect MB to have to create all the offense without the help of a partner. The guy to watch is Mix I think.
    If he continues to develop his game, he might be a real factor in Brazil.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    When you use the word experiment, are you refering to trials used by scientists to establish the foundation of all human knowledge?

For those bs posters who love to throw suggestions in the "experiment" trash can, please google the question "what is the scientific method?"

6. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nice try but experiment does have other connotations in the common vernacular. What does that have to do with the Nats?

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think there is too much common vernacular and not enough scientific method in our roster selection.

And you measured their relative performances how, exactly? Let me save you a post: since Toljan plays in Bundesliga and got 1 start, he is automatically ahead of MLS players on Klinsi's depth chart.

8. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you can't tell much from the MLS highlights, but Yedlin looked completely overmatched on Colorado goal #3 last night. I want him to get a look, but... Wow.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He had a very rough night. But then again.................so did the whole team.

It happens. He's had his ups and downs this season. I think his performances have been consistently good enough for a camp cupcake invite. Being a serious challenger for a WC slot might be a step too far.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think as soon as BS posters give up on him he will get a call up.:ROFLMAO:

I do agree with you he needs a bit more seasoning and this cycle looks to be too soon.

Bajoro repped this.
  11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    On the other hand, Klute was looking pretty strong.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The situation is somewhat odd.

At right back the list of candidates is as long as my arm and at left back the list is Fabian plus who? and there is the debate about the best position for Fabian being at left mid - which leaves us with Who.

Logically, under those circumstances, we would call up left back Klute and test him since he fits the part, at least: wicked cross, speed, long strider, can play fast imo, said to use both feet equally well, 2nd best assist total for defender in mls, etc.

Otoh, Rapids are tied with LA for the last playoff spot with 3 games left in the season.

13. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just noticed your sig. That's a keeper!

14. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I refuse to take any article seriously at all that suggests we need to shift Jones to left back. I want some of what he's smoking. I do agree that the outside back spots are a couple of our weakest right now, but Jones is a staple in the middle and when has Edu ever played wide for that matter? Has he ever at any level at any point in time showed an ability to run the wing? All the Lichaj fans have a better chance of seeing their guy back there than either Jones or Edu. And I don't consider his chances good at all.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That whole thing seems like such a reach.......................

We do have actually fullbacks to look at. Klinsmann didn't think these WCQers were the right time to "experiment." Perhaps we'll see some in November (depending on which clubs are in the playoffs.)

I will say that perhaps at the club level Edu should consider switching to a defensive position. He's really stagnated.

16. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Does Edu even play club soccer anymore? He needs to do something to even get back into the conversation.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Like sign with an MLS side...

18. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Stuck way down on the depth chart at Stoke and hasn't been making the bench. Got offers from some Ligue 1 teams (which he should have jumped on) but he thought he could get a starting spot at Stoke.

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edu played well in Turkey...he probably still has more than a few suitors in Europe.

It's too bad that he seems to be enamored with making it England.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Edu doesn't need to drop all the way down to MLS to get games. Those EPL stacks are nice, so it's understandable not wanting to take a paycut if he can't make it there.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Thought I'd post this in a more appropriate thread:

22. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #72 WJMarx, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    Klute has been a surprise, he began the season technically deficient and tactically naïve. Also, surprisingly, at his age, he has upgraded his technical skill considerably. Although, his 1st touch and his crosses are still an adventure. If his crosses are "wicked" it is only because there is no telling where they are going more often than not. While also improved tactically, he is still somewhat naïve. Klute's main assets remain his speed and his potential. Contrary to the quote, he neither plays quickly nor does he have the tactical acumen to do so. At this point in his career, in his development, he would be easy pickings for international wings. Klute has become a good MLS player, an outstanding LB only in a milieu of very mediocre LB's. He is not ready for USMNT. He needs another quantum leap to get to USMNT quality. He may or may not ever be at that level. Unlike many BSers, Klinsmann is too savvy, too experienced & too confident to misjudge Klute's current abilities.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I could remark on several things you said, however, I will try to add value to this discussion by suggesting to you that your judgment is based on seeing Klute play with positionally deficient forwards. The test is what he does with the USMNT forwards. Again, the point is not that Klute is a shoo-in for the starting spot in Brazil. The point is to see his game playing with the USMNT and to make a judgment on that basis as to his viability for 2014. Your evaluation of his final third passing is way off, nevertheless.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's a bit late to be trying out MLS newbies. Posters were clamoring for Gonzalez' inclusion; after 9 months he's still trying to figure it out. The problem is the level of MLS; it's level is too low to pluck a young defender from to roll with to the Mundial on the back of few friendlies.

25. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Yeah I think Mo's become so infatuated with English football that it's holding back his career. If he doesn't watch out, his chances of making it to a World Cup roster will be endangered, if it isn't happening already.

Shoulda bolted to Bursapor when he had the chance.

soccerusa517 repped this.