PBP: Fullback

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Marko72, Oct 2, 2013.

1. honest trade

honest trade Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think Fabian is the best option at LB given there are more options on the left side of the midfield than at LB. I would like to see Lichaj called in as a back up at LB. On the right I think Cameron and Chandler are the best options, and which one starts depends on whether more offense (Chandler) or defense (Cameron) is required, as well as if Cameron is needed in the midfield or at CB due to injuries or suspensions. Lichaj could also back up this side.

In any case at least we won't be seeing Bornstein.

2. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And, interestingly enough, you could also put Cameron at right back and he could shift over to make a back three while Johnson overlaps up the left. That's a good option when we want to maybe play two number 8's rather than an 8 and a 6.

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'm inclined to think that, as of today, the best option is Johnson on the left and Cameron on the right with Mike and partner (probably still Jones) in the middle. I'm not especially confident in that pair of starting fullbacks as fullbacks; I think it does qualify as an issue, but I also think that as far as weaknesses go, it's a lot less of a weakness than our glaring weaknesses last cycle (forward and left back), not to mention the cycle before that (forward, left back, central midfield, wings, almost everything, really).

4. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I love Cameron at RB. But I also love him at CM; Jones hasn't been playing well lately, and Cameron is our other best option there.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

It's funny you say that, because he only had two of the most solid World Cup games ever by a US player who was actually a left back playing left back. That's reality, not a sitcom premise.

6. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I agree. While I like Gcam more at RB then Evans, I think I'd prefer him at CDM then Chandler at RB if he gets back in the fold. Gcam's strengths are his passing, dribbling and vision - I think he can take advantage more of those at CDM then at RB where Chandler has 10x's as better crosses then Geoff (an area which is really his only major weakness). I feel like whenever we step foot on foreign soil Jones' game goes down a few notches. I think he's also in for a rough go this year at Schalke.

7. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i like and agree with this ^

Zusi or Bedoya
    Mix or Kljestan

IF, Lichaj can be brought in and works good at RB
    then we can use Cameron at DM or CB

with the group of players that we have, i will always be in favor of the 3 mid formation

bradley - j/m/k
    -----cameron

IMO, what that extra midfielder provides during the game is more valuable than what a striker would
    but, we can make the change later in the game, to be more attacking

dono --- alt --- demp
    ----brad --- j/m/k
    -------- cam
    fab - besl - oma - lich

8. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think he will view Klute as being similarly inexperienced for a WCQ or a full international and will stick to the guys he has already used or who have more/higher quality experience.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It is not a WCQ except in a technical sense because we already qualified. What is a "full" international? Let me guess: a FIFA date because that is when teams in Europe must release their players.

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on his performance at RB in Columbus, I prefer him at midfield as well. His half at RB was the soccer version of Walter White's last few years.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You cant base anything on Fabian at Columbus because he was on injury watch and taken off at the half.

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he on injury watch from minute 1? I agree, after he strained his hammy, he struggled, but his touch and passing were atrocious from the get-go.

13. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, he plays LB at his club and performs very well. Given that his club play is a much, much larger sample, it seems a fair bit more relevant, doesn't it?

This is pretty speculative on your part. Neither Yedlin nor Gil (both a few years younger than Klute) are playing LB, the position at which the US has the least depth. If Klinsmann thinks Beasley has shown himself to be the answer at LB, then he's watching the wrong games.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think one of the first things he did in that game was get to the most dangerous area of the football pitch.

I dont want to get into a long boring discussion about soccer injuries so maybe you could talk to somebody about it, learn something.

15. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been discussed before, but the problem is Fabian is our best LB, but also our best LW. Bedoya isn't the same quality, but here's to hoping that Bedoya either steps it up even more, or some player emerges at LB that looks like a solid option.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reality is he was never challenged.

17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could get into the most dangerous area of the pitch, unfortunately, my crossing would look about as bad a Fab's did when he got into that part of the field.

Look, I'm not saying he stinks, but on that night, he was awful, preceding the injury.

My initial post on this subject was also more in jest about FJ being a midfielder than a back.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, you would be playing football if that were the case.

Hv to wonder about the desperation around here when Fabian at rb is mentioned. As for crossing, if he cant cross we should just cut him. Ofc, he can cross just fine, so.....let's see, anybody can get into the dangerous part of the pitch and Fabian can pass, so......not really sure what you are fighting here, why dont you tell us your point.

19. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Fabians crossing is great I could post 3-4 highlights just off the top of my head

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Never? In two whole games? C'mon. Give credit when it's due.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    look it up, this topic was discussed long ago.

22. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    I must have missed when we got an RB starter other than a guy who plays CM for his club team ;-)

23. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    First of all, I didn't say starter; I said depth. Yedlin and Gil are behind a lot of guys at their respective positions. If I'm going to try guys out at RB with an eye on Brazil, I want to see Cameron, Chandler, and Lichaj before Yedlin. So there's no reason to bring Yedlin to a qualifier.

Secondly, I don't think that Klinsmann is stupid enough to play Evans at RB in Brazil when he's got Cameron, Chandler, and Lichaj available.

ckl26 repped this.
  24. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Totally agree. I'm excited for Yedlin and totally see him as a legit possibility for 2018 and I think he'll find his way to Europe eventually, but right now it's about 2014 and Brazil. Yedlin is still very raw (as of now).

COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Gold star for you!!

Based on how he has treated Evans, Castillo, Beltran, Besler, Parkhurst, Orozco, Ashe, and Lichaj and his statements on Yedlin it seems he values familiarity. He wants to slow roll new players, especially once qualifying began. Exceptions fall into two camps 1. European club starter dual nationals 2. European club players available to fill out an overseas friendly's roster. Klute is his 4th string LB, at best, and that discounts any RBs who he wants to try on the left. Therefore I don't project Jurgen to call up an MLS based, 1st year starter for either these WCQ's or the European based friendlies later this year.