Full of Bologna: Giuseppe Rossi back in Série A

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Mar 20, 2013.

1. maverickman874

Jul 29, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am never gonna root for Rossi but I don't want to see a player get hurt and miss out on his dreams no matter what team or country he plays for .

2. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Feel sad for the kid. If the US doesn't win the World Cup, would have loved to see him hoist the Jules Rimet trophy.

3. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    He's only 26, turns 27 Feb. 1. So he could still be in the running for 2018, if he misses 2014. And definitely will be in the picture for 2016 Euros if he regains his form.

4. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    England, Uruguay and Costa Rica are all thanking their lucky stars (for now). Italy will still beat all of them though.

5. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Was looking forward to seeing him destroy Costa Rica. Looks like he will never ever get to play in a World Cup.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Poor guy. any idea about how long the recovery will be? Would be great to have at least 1 US striker scoring in Brazil

7. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a horror challenge or anything like that. The guy came in just a tad late from behind a bit clumsily which caused his leg to get caught in the turf and buckle; think he got a yellow. 99% of the time on challenges like those the guy getting tackled simple just falls over and gets back up like without incident.

And you're right. This is exactly why players chase the money, hold out, bail on their boyhood team, etc. They need to make as much as they can before they retire or can't play anymore and I think many fans forget to them this is their way of life and how they feed their families.

8. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No tears from me! No laughs either.

adi21 repped this.
  9. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. Terrible news. Hopefully it's not season ending.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yet the Fiorentina president called him a "scoundrel" for it.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Rossi has left the hospital this morning after getting medical exams. It's still unconfirmed, but rumors are circulating that the damage is to his medial collateral ligament -- not his ACL that has already been operated on twice. This would mean 3 months out of action.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Squad...menti-infortunio-diretta-201993464655.shtml#0

"Rossi risks missing the 2014 World Cup, but in the meantime he'll head to the USA where Dr. Steadman -- who already operated on his right knee -- will assess just how much recovery time will be needed."

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    It's confirmed: a 2nd-degree sprain to his medial collateral ligament.

He won't require surgery, but according to La Gazzetta dello Sport, his World Cup participation is at risk.

bungadiri repped this.
  13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never know what those degree's mean, but at least it isn't a rupture that requires surgery. It probably means a length spell on the sidelines, but I bet he's in Brasil.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Well, when it comes to the amount of time he's expected to be out I've seen estimates ranging from 2 to 4 months, although the most common one seems to be 3. But we're going to have to wait for Steadman's verdict to know for sure.

At any rate, the Serie A season ends on May 18, so he's definitely going to be racing against time when he comes back.

15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, it will be tight, and he'll be probably a limited version of himself, which absolutely sucks for Italy and himself. Pretty rotten luck. Italian version of Holden to be sure.

16. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    I'm not losing any sleep over this.

Let's not compare Rossi to Stu Holden. Stu has the heart of a lion.

adi21 repped this.
  17. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    FYP

18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    That was gangster. Who is the American Freddy Adu?

19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given Stu's dual nationality, I'm not even sure my original version fits.

20. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    What do you mean? Holden's the Scottish version of Rossi.

21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Rossi is to Holden as Italy is to Scotland? Or Holden is to Scotland as Rossi is to America? Fudging SAT's.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    All a bit theatrical IMO, as expected (and no that wasn't a dig at Italy). Anytime a star player is hurt on a somewhat clumsy challenge, especially doing as well as Rossi was, it's met with contempt by teh club. Understandable from his perspective. Even if the challenge wasn't malicious.

But it is a shame. I think he'll bounce back from it, but the timing for him with the injuries is really something else. He missed European Championships, already at least 1 World Cup. Reaching a dream is never too easy even with his gifts on the pitch.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest update:

(TxT) repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    God damn. Has there ever been a more talented player to be just as bad with injuries?