Full of Bologna: Giuseppe Rossi back in Série A

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Soccer commentators do not need to be "good" he just needs to be more assertive.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's had far more success than Adu ever had.

The Irish Rover and superdave repped this.
  3. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The obvious comparison would be Owen Hargreaves in terms of a player's career derailed by injuries. There was even rumors of Hargreaves coming to the MLS when it was not clear it was over for him.

4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    My local club Fresno FC could really use Rossi.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's daft - especially coming from you. For a moment I thought it was @suyunty being, well, @suyunty again.

Rossi was a dedicated professional whose career was derailed by his body not being able to cope with the demands of top-level football. Adu was lazy and undecicated, and his career was derailed by him being unwilling to even try to adjust his game to the demands of pro - not top-level, just pro - football.

They're about the same age but, despite his injuries, Rossi racked up 16 games in the EPL, 62 in Serie A and 170 in La Liga, scoring 91 goals in the process. Freddy's top league appearances are 11 games at Benfica and 9 at Monaco, and both of those leagues are of a lower standard than the Prem, Seria A or La Liga.

If Rossi could get provably and sustainably fit again, there'd still be some pretty decent teams - in Europe - willing to take him on a play-for-pay deal. Could Freddy even get USL offers anymore?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I didn't mean that Rossi's career was comparable to Adu (far from it). But that Rossi seems to be holding out for a big-money offer from a top league, rather than just going to a smaller club that will give him playing time. Later on, of course, Adu would go to any club that would have him, but earlier, was more interested in the money than finding the right club situation.

Rossi needs to re-set his level (it's not Man U or even Championship football), and allow himself one more shot in a less competitive league.

7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think the root of the comparison with Adu is posting pics on Instagram and whatever other "social" media you kids use showing himself "practicing" as a way to convince someone (fans? scouts? himself?) that the dream is not over yet.

9. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Another thing he has in common with Owen Hargreaves. He did the same.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Poor Owen. After that he got a pity contract with City, played one league game the entire season, and when ManCity won the title he celebrated like a fool on the field until told that, because he had not played enough, he wasn't getting a medal.

11. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And in his interview when signing he said he signed for City since he had always played in the CL and he end up not even being registered for their CL squad.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in Spain?:

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/st...ack-home-in-spain-for-another-comeback-111119

The 32-year-old Rossi is already an idol at Villarreal, where he scored a record 82 goals for the club known as the “Yellow Submarine” for its yellow uniform and low profile. But more than a decade after his career took off, he wants to show he is not done with soccer just yet.

Rossi has been training with the Spanish club since last month, looking to regain his form and get another shot at extending his career. His goal is to prove he can still play at a high level and earn a new contract with Villarreal or another team.

He has already earned a new fan in his short time back.

American teenager Jack Imperato, who is also a striker and hoping to make it at Villarreal, couldn’t hide his anxiety when he realized he was going to meet Rossi, a player he always looked up to.

“I was nervous. I didn’t think I was going to be nervous. I’m usually not,” the 17-year-old Imperato said. “It was crazy. I used to read articles about him when I was 9, and how he grew up in New Jersey, how he is Italian-American like me. It was pretty cool.”

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Hopefully Rossi isn't a bad influence on this kid and convinces him not to play for the US. Instead, it's more likely he will tell the kid that playing for the US would be a much better decision (less competition for playing time, bigger commercial market, etc.)

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Utah (well, Arizona right now):

FC Tallavana repped this.
  15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    America finally snags Rossi

16. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Finally, I've been begging Rossi to give MLS a try for years. If he plays well and has a good attitude, he could open up coaching/GM opportunities in MLS down the road.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On the verge of completing his move to Salt Lake.

1231728371614310402 is not a valid tweet id

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GiallorossiYank repped this.
  19. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Great, now we can bring him to next year's Camp Cupcake as a technical advisor. ;)

20. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    We can also now close this thread.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    only Yank to score in three of the top five Euro leagues?

The Irish Rover repped this.
  22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How many Americans have even played in three of those leagues? Michael Bradley was the first one that jumped to mind, courtesy of his very brief loan at Aston Villa.

23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Not a ton. Very few have ever even played in La Liga or Serie A. Ligue 1 a few more but not a ton. Kasey Keller is the only one that springs to mind. Probably more then just Keller, Bradley and Rossi but not many more.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I wonder if RSL studied the case of John O'Brien at Chivas USA.

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    John O'Brien? Of Ajax fame?

Sports medicine has advanced quite a bit in the last 20 years, no?

In any case, career-threatening/ending ankle injuries are a little different to similar knee injuries. And responses to treatment differ from one player to another.

keller4president repped this.