Full of Bologna: Giuseppe Rossi back in Série A

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, he is hated here.

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so sure how true that is anymore. It's been a long time. Besides, he never would have played in a World Cup anyway. He was always injured.

But even if he was hated, that's not a bad thing. All leagues needs villains

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    La Gazzetta dello Sport has always been rather dismissive with Pepito. They're the ones starting all the rumors of "Pepito alla MLS" since long before he flopped with Genoa, but with the particular wording Italians use when talking of something that is kind of a joke.

Poor Rossi. Not even all that celebrating when he scored against the USA could mark him as a vero italiano. Sic transit, I guess.

The last:

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Este...no-c-blitz-los-angeles-fc-3201757082099.shtml

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I have always wondered what Italians or the media there thought of him. Since his peak years were in La Liga and he wasn't a guaranteed starter with the NT. I imagine criticism since he was a Yank?

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    #780 Scotty, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    But considering the salary cap in MLS, how often does this kind of thing actually happen? Seems like a team would pretty much have to know in advance how much they will be spending on salaries so as not to risk going over.

I wonder why a bigger club in Europe wouldn't offer him a pay-as-you-play deal, as Man Utd did with Michael Owen. Seems like the best solution for a player with his sort of injury history. Or perhaps he's already received offers like this but simply rejected them. Who knows?

Not for 2010. He was healthy and even made Lippi's provisional 28-man roster before getting dropped for the final 23 (I believe Di Natale was preferred instead).

freisland repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #781 The Irish Rover, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019

Who knows is a fair point, but Owen's hamstrings tended to rule him out for 3-6 weeks, while Rossi's ruptured ACLS left him missing 6 months+, or even entire seasons.

Owen's problems you can plan around - rest breaks for prevention, use him as an impact sub when he's not 100%, blood the U-21 striker, adjust the formation, play a winger at striker for a few games, etc - because he could be available for 60% of a season's games, even if that's not 60% of a season's minutes.

Rossi's problems, you have to plan for - by signing another striker entirely. In that case, why bother at all?

tomásbernal repped this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Don't let Suyuntuy lead you to believe otherwise; in Italy Rossi is viewed as an Italian. See here for more on that:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/fu...back-in-série-a.1984496/page-26#post-35644141

8. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Rossi is the Italian Aron Johansson

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HOW CAN YOU PRETEND TO KNOW THAT???

eliwood, adam tash, Casper and 2 others repped this.
  10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's @Suyuntuy He just knows stuff. ;)

11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I’m just proud my thread title survived this long even though he never had anything whatsoever to do with Bologna.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I can read Italian, including Italian slang. That's how I know many never considered him one of the ragazzi.

13. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Rossi can't find a club, sad.

14. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Looks like Bob Bradley was smart to pass on signing Rossi. LAFC is playing lights out without him.

Meanwhile, Rossi is still without a club, and will probably be so until the summer. Maybe then he will finally lower his salary demands, and sign with a lower-tier team in MLS or Italy. Would still like to see him play again.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By "here" I mean this thread. Hate hate hate!

16. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    So Fiorentina has a new owner: an American-Italian businessman by the name of Rocco Commisso (great name). There's a decent chance he signs Rossi I think, given the American connection, and provided Rossi will accept a low salary. Also possible he signs some other Americans in the future.

https://www.football-italia.net/138985/rossi-welcomes-commisso-fiorentina

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe this will lead to a series of Americans being signed, maybe it won't. If it does, would that be good for them?

Since this is the guy who (still??) owns the Cosmos, maybe not

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    From the framing of that picture you can tell he is not considered really Italian, but more like spaghetti-Os.

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's lacking in the two-chick pic department.

felloveranddidanadu and taylor repped this.
  23. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is probably not ready for it to be over but, it is probably over. NBC Sports, TNT, ESPN and BEIN Sports would probably all love to have him. Heck Univision would love to have him as well since he speaks Spanish. Come to think about it he would be in great demand as a commentator/analyst since he speaks English, Spanish and Italian.

24. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did a lousy job during the Euros a few years ago. He's gonna have to up his game.