Full of Bologna: Giuseppe Rossi back in Série A

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Rossi: Ex-Manchester United forward on his injury nightmare

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44193845

2. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really a shame how his career transpired. One has to wonder if the surgeon he’s been going to is any good at all or if he’s just that brittle. Can’t help but feel bad for him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    For a bright few years at Villarreal he was a brilliant striker, top 5-10 in the world. Still upset we lost him.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Really? You don't wanna change it to say he was among top 5-10 in La Liga?

The Irish Rover and superdave repped this.
  5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    From late 2009 until his injury in fall 2011 he was pretty dang good. He had 30+ goals in ‘10-‘11 and Barca wanted him. He was on that kind of trajectory and got there only very briefly.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #681 LouisianaViking07/09, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    But was he top5-10 in the world?

I'd have rated Torres, Villa, Ibrahimovic, Drogba, Rooney as top 5 with the likes of Van Persie, Van Huntelaar, Higuain,Gomez, Dzeko as well in the mix. And then the likes of Eto'o, Di Natalie, Soldaldo, Negredo...

I'd rank him top 20 but that 1 season (you mentioned) he was top 10

7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    You’re right. My hyperbole betrays my risidual bitterness at his playing for Italy. Let’s say he was on pace to becoming top ten.

For posterity...it was completed transfer and it sounds like Barca didn’t like something in the physical: Remember, this is 2011 Barca off their third-straight La Liga win. They bought Alexis Sanchez instead.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/giu...-barcelona-fiorentina-likely-a-closed-chapter

8. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Rossi has already turned down 12 club offers..seems he's being a bit picky for a guy in his position. That's his right, of course, but missing out on preseason never helped anybody. I don't know what's he's looking for, but Juventas, Napoli, Inter Milan, and Roma are not going to sign him.

Maybe he has an outside shot at Lazio or AC Milan, which finished 5th and 6th last year, respectively.

https://translate.google.com/transl...eppe-rossi-rifiutati-12-club.html&prev=search

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously, that is almost Agudelo-like. he might be shooting himself in the foot

The Irish Rover repped this.
  10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got about 108 minutes of actual football left before he does another knee so he wants to make sure he spends those 108 minutes with a good team.

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ArsenalMetro repped this.
  12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    UniversalAdvice and BostonRed repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  14. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Fact: he would have been injury free if he chose the yanks.

Gorky repped this.
  15. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Being picky is making a lot of sense now. Chances are he's been rehabbing like hell with some "assistance" and was in no hurry to get back.

I think it's down to the fact that he's smaller and he decided earlier in his career that the way around that was to add a bit more weight to his frame than he should have. As a creative attacking type that relies upon shiftiness+explosion, that extra 5-10 pounds put a lot of stress on his joints. Knee issues can happen to anyone, but after he got the first, carrying that little bit extra is going to appreciably increase the chance of repeat injuries. Just naming some random players: Messi, Neymar, Chicarito, Pulisic, Modric. They're not carbon copies of him but they share a lot of his qualities. Once you adjust a bit for their height, on average they'd play about 8 lbs lighter.

He was more in these guys mold than guys who don't rely as much upon quickness/elusiveness playing in front of where he'd naturally play (like a Villa) or behind (like a Xavi or Scholes). Build wise, he was he reminds me a lot of Xavi. And if his game was suited for a deep lying playmaker--especially in a Barca type system--he might have been able to handle the extra weight. The type of movements he would have been making would have been different. He was much better suited for La Liga and the Bundesliga than Serie A or the Premier League.

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if some clubs caught wind of this and backed off Rossi knowing a ban could be on the table. Clubs talk. Managers talk. Plus, I’m sure he had to disclose this info when speaking to potential suitors. With the pressures players face and the money they make, I can understand athletes feeling the need to do anything necessary to get back on the field and/or stay on the field. I would be tempted. I’m not gonna lie.

17. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I don't think anyone taking PEDs would disclose it to any potential suitor. If it got the point where a contract was all but done during the physicals portion? Probably. More than likely, he was shopping around, asking for much more than he had any right to get, figuring he was a month or so removed from taking whatever it was he was on. If someone didn't outright back away when he made his requirements known, negotiations would still be far apart and would go on for a month or so. So by the time the physicals were done, he thought he'd be clear.

And maybe in another 2 weeks they would have been. I get why he did what he did. He wants to extend his career and he figures this is a good way for him to boost his recovery.

m vann repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ESPN article said he tested positive after a league match on May 12th. Genoa were certainly notified. If interested clubs called Genoa doing their due dellignece especially given Rossi’s injury history, I would assume the beans were spilled. Therefore, Rossi potentially would have confirmed the positive test to suitors. That’s the angle I was hitting.

Chicago76 repped this.
  19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully support PEDs.

ttrevett and m vann repped this.
  20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Too many meatballs in his spaghetti.

21. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I should definitely stick to reading the English language version of articles from now on. Get what you’re saying now. Looking at some recent bans from NADO: 6-7 months from the date of the positive test looks to be the first time norm. This puts him on target for a mid November to December debut.

So it makes sense that he’s shopping himself, continuing to work out/rehab, and not getting any immediate takers. I’d expect him to get a reduced ban and be able to start training with a team immediately.

m vann repped this.
  22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think PED's should be legal once you've hit the Rossi/Stu Holden/John O'Brien pantheon of sports injuries. The kind of players that you take one look at and say, "You know what man, you've earned it. If you're still anxious to play professional football after 4 knee operations and 48 months of rehab, have at it."

I'll volunteer as the commissioner of the Ministry of Legalized Use of Steroids for World Football. I'm sure there will be no corruption of me or my subordinates in choosing who meets that criteria.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Exactly.

Given all the injuries this dude has had, combined with his age, I can't blame him for doing whatever it takes to prolong his career.

And the thing is, you and I would do the same thing. If someone comes up to you and says, this pill will help you keep playing, but if you get caught, you'll be in some trouble, most of us would weigh the risks and take the pill.

He's got a very finite window and it's closing fast. I can't blame him for trying to keep it open a little longer.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Apparently the substance detected was dorzolamide, which is most commonly used as an anti-glaucoma drug.

25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is getting kind of old, so glaucoma shouldn't be out of the ordinary.