Fulhamerica: the Ream Continues [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Real Corona, Jan 24, 2012.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    is it really? a midweek cup match and ream just played

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    ... and likely will be needed again @ Wolves on Sunday.

Winoman repped this.
  3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    that said, this is a real statement match for two clubs who will probably be competing for promotion next season

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    but he'd be riding the bench though right?

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me they don't want to pass to him

6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    they finally did! and something good almost immediately happened as a result

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guy think it was his fault on that second goal?

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No, because this is the Ream thread. ;)

LouisianaViking07/09 and TimB4Last repped this.
  9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Let's see what the cat drags in tomorrow (Oct 5), but Ream started today and went the distance, next to Maxime Le Marchingband, with Odoi and Hector (deservedly) on the bench.

Fulham still lost, 0-1, so that's not good. AR started and played the full game, so at least that's encouraging.

Not clear how the team can reverse course at this point, absent some serious reinforcements.

ChrisSSBB and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They can't.

I think the back 4 with Robinson at LB and Bryan pushed forward is a good start with the personnel they have.

But looking forward, as most of us have said, Ream cannot be a regular starter at CB for a team that wants to stay in the Premier League.

I also think that, while Mitrovic is a decent player, he really limits the way the play. And they don't have any alternatives.

If I was dictating their tactics and purchases over the next...24 hours, I'd encourage a switch to a 4-4-2. Buy a new striker (a fast one, or one who can drop and create, like a Firmino-lite), a new CM to replace Cairney, and a new CB.

So that would make the team:

GK: Areola
    LB: Robinson
    RB: Aina
    CB: Le Marchand?
    CB: new signing
    LM: Bryan
    RM: Knockaert
    CM: Zambo Anguissa
    CM: new signing
    ST: Mitrovic
    ST: new signing

That team still doesn't stay up, but I think they'd have a better chance at it than they do now.

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Well you got to score a goal to win.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm not sure that's a winning sales pitch.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I have been thinking of today, October 5, as the transfer deadline, but that's only partly true - internationally. Domestic transfers will be allowed until October 16.

Coming down to the wire, we have ...

"Fulham close to signing centre-back

It's PSV's Timo Baumgartl, a German centre-half bought by Mark van Bommel in the summer of 2019 for his versatility and ability to play in both centre-back positions, as a stopper and in the freer role.

He is 24 and has made 20 appearances for the Germany Under-21s, having been a first-team regular at Stuttgart for four years prior to his move. But he didn't make much of an impact in the Eredivisie."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...adline day is on,Premier League and EFL clubs.

14. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Not an inspiring signing for a Premier League club. I don't get Khan. Does he want to own a Championship club? Sad to see Leeds solidifying themselves as a PL club while Fulham looks every bit a yo-yo club headed straight back down.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    30 million euro purchase from Lyon a year ago.

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “While absolutely nothing I can say would make up for tonight’s performance, frankly we would’ve absolutely killed to be a yo-yo club when I took it over after finishing 20th in the Championship.”

Maybe he’s OK with it?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    glad at least Ream is performing well enough

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    There's been a flurry of recent transfer/loan activity - has someone here sorted it all out? Who has been added to our cast of characters? Are other player movements still in prospect?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Transfermarkt, these are all the defenders they brought in this “summer:”

Adjustments.jpg

21. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    On deadline day, they signed Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Joachim Andersen on year long loans and permanently signed center back Tosin Adarabioyo, who was on loan last year to Blackburn from Man City. Here’s all their arrivals this season https://www.transfermarkt.us/fulham...1/plus/0?saison_id=2020&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=s

Gorky and TimB4Last repped this.
  22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It looks like they brought in two CB's yesterday: Joachim Andersen (24), on loan from Lyon, and Tosin Adarabioyo (23), permanently from Man City. As noted above, Anderson had received a decent amount of playing time for Lyon. Adarabioyo, on the other hand, never played a Premier League match for Man City, and spent the last two seasons on loan in the Championship.

They also brought in Ruben Loftus-Cheek on loan from Chelsea, presumably to play as a center-mid or in a more attacking role. I'm guessing most people here are familiar with him, especially if you followed Pulisic last year.

Fulham also made a loan signing less than a week ago that some people may have missed: Ademola Lookman from RB Leipzig. Lookman got a cameo against Wolves and looked bright on the wing. It looks like he's mostly been a sub in his career, but he'll be 23 later this month, which is right around the age one might expect someone with his profile to start earning more minutes.

edit: my bad, I thought Lemina was brought in more recently, but he's been around for a few weeks now.

23. Ninjatom21

Ninjatom21 Member

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 1, 2017
    The bottom 3 are exits via loan. The thing that has really screwed Fulham over is Mawson just forgot how to play the moment he signed his Fulham contract in 2018.

ttrevett and TimB4Last repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Many thanks to all. I think there is more interest in Antonee Robinson than Tim Ream, but I would like to think Ream could still have a decent final season at Fulham, assuming this is the end of the (Fulham) road for him.

Wiki shows 28 players on the Fulham roster, including Andersen and Adarabioyo (and Loftus-Cheek), which (presumably) means it's current.

I will group the 6 CBs as follows:

Andersen (24) and Adarabioyo (23) - the A team (new to the team, untested together)

Ream (33*) and Le Marchand (31**) - the B team (started the last game together)

Hector (28) and Odoi (32) - the C team (benched for poor performance)

I think Parker will use this break to work the new CBs into the team, and that Ream will have succeeded if he holds his place in the pecking order (and makes the bench).

++++++++++++

* Ream turned 33 yesterday
    ** Le Marchand turns 31 next week

beamish repped this.