Fulham vs. Arsenal 9/11

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by JohnnyCash, Sep 7, 2004.

1. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    I was just browsing the Arsenal boards and they're pretty full of themselves. Lets see if our boys can get a point, or even better, end their streak at the cottage. I can't find any previews at the moment but post them here as you guys can find them.

now for something completely different, i just read that fat barry hayles is now playing for Millwall...i think that's really funny

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

well, maybe we can get to the level of fulham... we are striving for that jon~
    then we can really be full of ourselves~ pmsl~

3. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I am a little nervous about this game as most Fulham fans probably are. I do think that if Fulham can get their back row in order that anything can happen. I am not so worried offensively, but defensively with the way this Arsenal team attacks and scores is quite scary. I would love to see the streak come to an end at the hands of Fulham, but it is gonna be tough. I am sure as the game gets closer there will be more to write about. More later.

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    how long is the train ride from Staffordshire to Highbury, i bet it gets crowded with other glory hunting fans, all trying to claim that they were fans when arsenal were crap

I"m just f'ing with you though. If Fulham go into this scared and playing 10 men behind the ball, they'll lose, if they play up to their capabilities i think they have a decent shot. Viera is out, Campbell was out too and you've got a lot of players playing international duty this week. I just hope to see Cygan on the back line come saturday

5. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

Everyone seems to support manyoo.... but thats irrelevant.... i bet the train ride from philly to london is long too....

and vieira is matchfit~

6. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I think this is most team's problem when playing Arsenal. They get intimidated and don't play their game. Now I'm not saying that Arsenal are crap because to say so is lunacy, but I think Fulham can give them a strong game by going out and just playing their game. Good luck.

7. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I agree with this. Arsenal can take a so so game and turn it around in less than 30 seconds. They are so good on the counter attack and all their players are all on the same wavelength. It is rather amazing to watch them. They are exciting, but I am not a fan at all. I respect them greatly though. I hope the Whites can get it done on Saturday.

8. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    Well last year VDS played out of his mind at highbury, then he gave up a gimme to reyes in the return. If he can keep us in the game for the most part despite a leaky back line and we can grab one maybe two i think we could get the draw or even a win. I'm not expecting a win, but i think a draw is not out of the question.

9. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The game is on Tape Delay on Saturday on Fox Sports World at 2PM Central time. Stay away from the computer.
    I really have a feeling that the defense will play much better than at Portsmouth and against Boro. I think the staff will come up with some good ways to limit the opportunities Arsenal creates. I would be careful bringing both Bocanegra and Volz up. If Portsmouth killed them on their counter, imagine what Arsenal will do. I would like to see a defensive minded approach to this game. I think a counter for Fulham might spring a goal. I hope Arsenal is overlooking them, but when you are unbeaten in 45, they are probably not overlooking anyone.
    If Fulham somehow win this game, people will really, really take note of this team. It would be unbelievable for the club. No one thought Everton could beat Arsenal two years ago around this time, but they did. I am thinking positively.

10. American Mike

American Mike New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Was NY, Now London
    I know this game is on a tape delay on FSW but does anyone know if it is available live on PPV??

11. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    No, it is not. The PPV match this Saturday is Manchester United vs Bolton.

12. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Here is a link to the preview from the Fulham website. Claus Jensen has beaten Arsenal twice from his time at Charlton. And also as the article says, Radzinski has scored his last 4 times against Arsenal. He has scored more goals against Arsenal than any other EPL team. Interesting fact. I hope he can score one or two on Saturday. Jensen has some nice quotes in this piece.
    http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/displaynews.asp?id=5355

13. American Mike

American Mike New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Was NY, Now London
    Does anyone want to guess a starting line up vs. Arse?

14. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Goalie - Van Der Saar
    Defense - Knight, Bocanegra, Volz and Goma
    Midfield - Diop, Boa Morte, Jensen, Legwinski and Radzinski
    Forward - Cole

Bench - McBride, Pembridge, Crossley, John

I would not be surprised if they started in a 4-5-1 with Cole alone up top. I do see Collins John getting a run in the 60th minute for Cole or perhaps one of the midfielders. I think Cookie will try to minimize the counter attack by Arsenal and give the back line as much help as possible. I can't wait for this game. Unfortunately, I have to tape it and watch it either late, late Saturday night or Sunday morning.

15. American Mike

American Mike New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Was NY, Now London
    A friend of mine is heading out from Long Island to watch the game with me. Boddingtons for everybody.

16. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Have a good time. I will be at family function in Central Illinois during the game.

17. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    I need to find a pub in DC that's playing it...then i get to go sit amongst the arseholes

18. American Mike

American Mike New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Was NY, Now London
    Do you know where urbana is?

19. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Of course I know where Urbana is. I had many friends that went to the University of Illinois. Do you have a connection to there? I grew up about an hour north of there.

20. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Do you get FSW?

21. American Mike

American Mike New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Was NY, Now London
    My cousin (a Man Citeh loving Irish guy) just moved with his wife (my blood cousin) from Brooklyn to Urbana so he can work on his Phd. He was my partner for watching footy in NYC at the wee hours of the morning, so I will be making a trip out there sometime.

22. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If Radzinski plays the way he did for the Canadian national team this week, he wont score...

23. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    It is a cool college town. It is a really good school. I am not kidding, but because of the school of agriculture, there is a part of Champaign (the city next door), that smells like Cow manure. If you go to a football game there, it really smells. U of I has some fun bars and things to do. It is about 2.5 hours south of Chicago. I am not sure what the situation is with watching soccer down there. It might be tough, but I am sure there is a bar or two that shows some games. It is a college football and college basketball town.

24. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    It is gonna be tough for him to score. He has not been in the best of form for either club or country. Hopefully he can right the ship and get things going. This weekend would be a great place to start.

25. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    No, I'm stuck in DC, we are stuck with Comcast or satellite, and since i've got 3 roomates, i'd have a hard time convincing them to all pay more for satellite

the pubs a few blocks away, and at hte bar, the tap is close by in case of a poor performance by our boys

i think campbell may be out, and cygan in which would be good news for us, he's dominating on that back line...plus the only threat (offensive or defensive) in the air for corners