Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur, Sept. 1 [R]

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Californiaspurs, Aug 31, 2007.

1. 442fan

442fan New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    I think Robinson should have saved the second and third goals but couldn't because he was on his 6 yard line. He's not the only keeper I've seen concede a goal by coming off his line for no particular reason, but he was at fault.

2. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaahh, well there ya' go. An Arseneal fan who wants to blame our keeper. That explains it...thanks for clearing that up.

3. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Hmm...I'm not sure what to make of his MOTD interview. It appears he ducks the sub question completely. I made a transcript, the link is at the bottom for UK users. Judge for yourself.

MJ: Yeah, it's amazing you know, we were 2 - 0 up and we should have scored the third and the fourth. And then, we conceded a corner kick again you know, a very good corner kick but we should defend better and we know that. But having said that, second half we came out, we took the initiative again, we attacked them in the spaces and we looked the better team. And we scored a very good third goal *pause* and then, we had the deflection with Smertin, and then you know it's a gamble, last part of the game, you know. We should have scored again but if you don't do that, they have a throw in and again everybody's in our own box, and you could say we sat off too deep. But with a throw in you have to, with a corner kick you have to. So we should have done much better you know, if we are the better team, I can't recall a better away game from us and scoring three goals, and still end up with one point you know, it's very disappointing.

INT: One of the most one-sided Premiership games as you could see for large chunks of it and it ends as a draw...you must be furious! You're not showing it particularly, but you must be cross.

MJ: Yeah, we can blame each other but *mumbling*...you know if you concede goals from corner kicks and you can't mark your man then yeah, you have to blame each other. With the third one we knew they had a very good throw in and you have to win the first ball, and if not the second ball, and we didn't do that.

INT: Steed Malbranque hitting the post, I think that might have been a turning point, maybe that would have put it beyond Fulham.

MJ: *shaking head* I mean of course, we could be angry, but we have to look in the mirror at this game, and we should have scored five or six goals easily. But then still it's a bit disappointing to concede three.

INT: Are you happy with the changes you made?

MJ: *long pause* No, the first change Jermain Defoe for Robbie Keane you know it was the same, we still had to put pressure on them so that uh...but then they scored for 3 - 2 so nothing to do with the change, and the last ten minutes I can recall a change that was made last season against Arsenal when they played with three in the centre. Sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't come off, and today we certainly should have won but in the next game, you know you have to defend a lead of 3 - 2 so much better, you have to defend a 3 - 2 and if you won't...if you can't do that you have yourself to blame.

INT: You're due a bit of luck really, aren't you?

MJ: I think we were very unfortunate as well. I mean, you can be angry, but we should have killed them off. I can recall one or two chances they had but many more of ours and that's the thing you have to do, you have to be clinical.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_6970000/newsid_6974300/6974375.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm&news=1

4. KHowe

KHowe Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Western MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Thanks for the transcript, Skizz.

5. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Spurs have an inferiority complex that needs to be placed at the highest priority for correction.

It is a major hump.

6. KHowe

KHowe Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Western MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That's the problem, there aren't quality managers out there who are any better than Martin Jol. You could say Ramos is, but he isn't coming to Spurs this season, so who is left out there right now? Klinsmann? From the sounds of it, he really doesn't want to come out of retirement. You have a valid point, I'm certainly not arguing it, but the quality of managers out there is slim to none.

7. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I hereby absolve Fatboy Robbo of all blame for the goals. The loop off of Rocha was unsaveable (unless he stayed on his line), as was the Kamara overhead (unless he stayed on his line!).

But seriously, what Goalie stands on his line all the time? People, coming off your line is known in the Goalkeeping business as NARROWING THE ANGLES!! If Dempsey's shot got a freak deflection, and if Kamara scored a goal the like of which HE WILL NEVER SCORE AGAIN (except in FIFA Street on PS3), then so be it. I'm a big Robbo critic. I think he doesn't have the reactions that the new ball demands, but these goals weren't his fault.

Our defence is good. They restrict opposing teams to long-shots. Unfortunately, Robbo is crap at saving long shots.

8. Mr Tips

Mr Tips Member

May 10, 2006
    Philadelphia; 138
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    And there's your reason why no one in midfield can hold up play. Robbo gets the ball and then does his Sean Landetta impersonation over and over again. With the speed that Spurs have in the middle of the pitch---particularly with Bale playing left wing now and Taraabt (who Jol should have brought on as a late sub)---why would you intentionally bypass your midfield players like that?

9. N-I-C-H-O

N-I-C-H-O New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's taking a shot, duh! Go for Glory!:rolleyes:

10. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lads at the pub get a laugh every time I yell "shooooooot!" in a very Xabi Alonso-way whenever Robbo has a free-kick.

11. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    last week, everybody sympathised with Jermaine Defoe for allegedly "not being treated fairly" at Tottenham, and wondered what gave Martin Jol the right to ask him to sign a new contract, given that he doesn't play him. this is despite the fact that Keane has actually taken his chance while Defoe clearly hasn't. then at the weekend, 3-1 up, the manager brings on Defoe for Keane, a like-for-like substitution that most managers wanting to keep 4 strikers happy would've probably made, and he gets slagged off for it. I was furious when reading this criticism in the Sunday papers, but I'm extremely disappointed to read it in a Spurs forum

12. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Well I have endured the pain of watching the third one many many times, and I've come to the conclusion that the third one was the only one that Robinson should have stopped. The reaction was poor. You mentioned a possible screening, but looking at it again, it wasn't screened at all. Bale jumped in to try and head it away, but he wasn't really blocking Robbo's vision.

Kamara set up for the bicycle and Robinson stood there. Kamara popped a skyrocket towards the moon--obviously trying to chip it over Robbo--and Robbo's instincts told him to run away from the goal and jump ... which was a horrible decision as he created space for the ball to enter. The correct response would obviously be to move backwards to protect the goal, but the initial wrong response by Robinson meant that he wasn't ever able to recover. It's not one of those I consider a real flap though, just a missed opportunity to stop the shot ... and become the hero. Lots of keepers would have missed it, and I have no doubts that Niemi would have missed it (worst show by a keeper this season, and that's saying a lot).

It could be argued that the first one might have been stopped with propper positioning, but IMHO, unless the header hits you in the face you're not going to stop that Dempsy shot ... it was too close and Davies did a great job of delivering it into an area that was very hard for Robinson to reach--just out of his punch range but still very close to goal so he couldn't stop the shot either. So, I don't fault Robinson on the first goal, and he had no chance on the second one, but the third one, yeah, he shoulda stopped that one.

13. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my frustration with the substitution is that in my opionion, he took off the best player on the pitch, the player that was creating all our chances.

14. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Totally agreed. After review I'd say the 2nd and 3rd goals should be stopped by Robinson. As time goes on I'm less and less impressed with his overall performance as a keeper. He does make good stops every now and then but that's not enough. Who do Spurs even have as an alternative?

15. 442fan

442fan New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    You do have to narrow the angle if the ball is out wide and, if there is a breakaway, you have to come off your line. But when your penalty area is full of opposing players, coming off your line for no reason is just asking for trouble. As I said before, Robinson is not the only offender I have ever seen. But if he had stayed on his line, Spurs would have a 3-1 win.

16. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    link?

17. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow! Just seen the goals by Fulham and I can't believe some of you lot were blaming Robbo. Even the commentators said, "He was helpless..." after the last two. A deflection!?!? Come on. You can't hold the keeper responsible on a deflection. I really don't know if he is to blame on the header either. A good shot is a good shot. Sometimes good keepers just get beat by a good shot.

Granted it would have been nice to have some glory seeking mid or fullback clear the ball before they got a chance on the last two goals...

We're gonna start playing better and soon....;)

wow pt1

wow pt2

18. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Thank you IvanIV! I'm one of Robbo's fiercest critics but I cannot see how he could be at fault for a deflected shot (and some of you twats are blaming Rocha for trying to block it...Thats his job!) and a looping freak overhead kick.

19. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

he he he...yeah. he(rocha) tried it would have been much worse if he just sat idly by while they launched volley after volley at robbo. You gotta put your foot out there and try to nick it the other way...;)

20. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In other news, Robbo has been blamed for the loss of the Empire, the rise of mad cow disease, and the death of Princess Diana. :rolleyes:

21. 442fan

442fan New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    I agree he couldn't have done anything to stop the Dempsey header. But he could have stopped the deflected shot if he hadn't been foolishly standing at the top of the 6 yard box. If he had stayed on his line, it wouldn't have gone over his head. The same applies on the bicycle kick.
    (Admittedly, the bicycle kick was a brilliant shot.) The announcers always like to say the keeper had no chance, but this keeper would have had an excellent chance if he hadn't been out of position.

22. korean_soccer123

korean_soccer123 New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    omg! i cant believe there are so many uneducated people here! dude this goes out to u and everyone who is agreeing wit ur rubbish statement.

Firstly.. yes the first goal was probably impossible to stop. but the thing he did wrong there was when the ball was coming in you can see him actually COMING OFF THE LINE tryin to get it and then stopped because he realised he could have never caught it. now by then he was way out of position thats why he didnt even attempt a block. then he goes blaming LEE FOR IT? i mean wtf, how could lee stop that bullet header. the 2nd and 3d goal like everyone said should have been saved. he was outta position.

23. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep hearing "...held his line.". I'm not hearing "...someone should have cleared the ball...". wat up wit dat?

Keepers, no matter how good, aren't usually, nor have they been ever, out there by themselves.

Seemed to me he was moving with the flow of the play. i think he was inline when the deflection occured. but, as deflections do, it deflected over him. That is why it is called a deflection.

The lob shot that went over might be the one goal that he gave up that i'd question. Always expect the unexpected. Maybe he thought he wouldn't shoot. Or maybe he just lost track of him. Either way...expect the unexpected.

Football is all about angles(geometry?) and playing a good game of keep away.

Good shots beat good keepers. Lucky bounces beat good keepers.
    Robbo may not be the best out there but he isn't the lone reason for the goals given up this past weekend.

BUT mainly I'd say this about the 2nd half...Press! Don't sit back and wait for them to attack. They're going to. Keep them from it!!

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of those times when hindsight...well, you know

Of the two goal in question, neither is really Spurs fault. Fulham's second goal was an unlucky deflection that came from a pass from a guy (Dempsey?) who had just been pushed/fallen to the ground. Dempsey did everything but win the foul. The shot was an massivly unlucky defection that Robbo had no way to stop, unless he was out of possition standing on the goal line.

The third goal was one of those freaks of the season. The throw was won by Fulham, but the header does not appear to go where I would have thought - I though it should have gone closer to goal so Fulham could crash the net. Camara happened to be at the right place at the right time, and strike the ball just right to score the goal. It was one of those freak goals.

25. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm all for differing opinions, etc. But where did all these window-licking retards appear from?