FtL Strikers Attendance

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by Smoke & Mirrors, Apr 5, 2011.

1. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    anything over 4,000 would be nice
    anything is better than the crappy 1250 ave last year, or whatever the pathetic attendance was.

Hopefully the Puerto Rican community in South Florida will come out and double the attendance.... 9,000!

2. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have a good feeling we'll beat the Montreal number from last week, and that'll we'll top 5,000. If we actually start scoring some goals and providing a more entertaining product on the field, I'm certain we can keep the average above 5,000 for the year which would be a huge accomplishment. Keep at it out there everyone. Talk about the team and the games to your friends, family, co-workers, neighbors. Make the team prominent on your Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace pages. Make sure you give away all your Rowdies makeup bonus tickets to people that are likely to use them. Be a proud Striker Liker and wear your gear around town, especially in the days leading up to home games. Having an average attendance over 5,000 would be awesome for this organization, and it should lead to them continuing to put money and effort into making it even bigger and better for us the fans! Let's go Strikers!!!!!!

3. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been looking around for final attendance stats for this year. If anyone has seen any please post.

4. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just found the stats on this site.

http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=4353

The Strikers played 17 games at home if I'm not mistaken and the NASL site no longer puts up the attendance figures.
    I'm pretty sure The Strikers averaged over 4K...

NORTH AMERICAN SOCCER LEAGUE
    G Total Avg.
    Montreal Impact 14 161,102 11,507
    Ft. Lauderdale Strikers 14 52,769 3,769
    Carolina RailHawks 14 46,942 3,353
    FC Tampa Bay 14 42,138 3,010
    Atlanta Silverbacks 14 40,117 2,866
    Puerto Rico Islanders 14 30,247 2,161
    FC Edmonton 14 25,434 1,817
    NSC Minnesota Stars 14 23,463 1,676
    NASL TOTAL 112 422,212 3,770

5. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that DR has posted that he's kept track all year. The avg before Saturday's game was just under 4,000 (3,985? or something like that). My guess is that it should be just over 4,000 now. Not what I wanted for the season, but a solid improvement over 2010.

And a good target to exceed for next year....:cool:

6. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are my numbers, I wrote them down after each game from match reports:

1. 6700 vs. FCE
    2. 4400 vs. MIN
    3. 4700 vs. MTL
    4. 3218 vs. PRI
    5. 2825 vs. MIN
    6. 3628 vs. PRI
    7. 5848 vs. FCTB
    8. 2661 vs. ATL
    9. 2872 vs. FCE
    10. 3101 vs. CAR
    11. 3685 vs. FCTB
    12. 2477 vs. MTL
    13. 2159 vs. CAR
    14. 4680 vs. ATL

Playoffs:

15. 3700 vs. FCE
    16. 4233 vs. PRI
    17. 6849 vs. MIN

Average comes out to 3,985 for the season. If you spot any wrong figures from any game please let me know I'll adjust the average.

7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a good man, DR. Thanks for the numbers.

A quick run through with my handy-dandy adding machine gives us 52,954 attending the 14 regular season games for an average of 3,782.4285 per game.

14,782 attended the 3 play-off games for an average of 4,927.333.

Overall, 67,736 attended all 17 games played at home (Lockhart Stadium) for an average of 3,984.4705.

I think that trying for 70,000 total for next years 14 home games would be a good total. That's an average of 5,000 per game. Not a really huge jump, but a very significant one. More importantly, with a full off season to work at it after a successful season's completion it could/should be a do-able one....:cool:

Of course, if more than that wish to attend they'd be more than welcome...:D

8. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    If you assume the average ticket for the season cost $10 - which given the deals on season tickets ($99/15 = $6.60/game) and otherwise, I don't think is too far off - that would mean they made $677,360 off ticket sales this season. You can probably round it up to $680k for simplicities sake. Glancing at the roster, it would appear as though they carried about 23 players (I'm really averaging 20-25 with a weight) on the roster factoring out those who came in late with those who left early. That's a salary of $29,565.22 per player to cancel out the player costs solely by ticket revenue. From there, player sales, concessions, merchandise and sponsorships would have to cover travel, front office salary and Lockhart rent costs before profits.

If you want to say the average cost for each ticket was $8, the money earned would be $541,840. At $9, it's $609,570. For each of those the average player salary would have to be $23,558.26 and $26,503.04 assuming 23 full player seasons.

9. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    your first three games are probably not right. they seem to "perfect" and they aren't the same as what i got from the NASL site earlier in the year:

1. 6402
    2. 4442
    3. 4755

as for the rest of the games that seem more valid, i had the same numbers up thru the games i had take of the NASL site.

10. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall the numbers are pretty much the same. The averages change little either way.

11. vettefredje redded

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    The Strikers are really doing amazing, especially compared with Miami FC. Champions and good attendances, I heard the Strikers had a big financial boost just before they changed their name from Miami FC of several $ millions, is that right? That might explain the NASL final?

12. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They made the NASL championship round and lost to Minnesota 3-1 on aggregate.

We've not heard of anyone, other than Traffic Sports, committing any money to the team last season. We've no idea how much that was. The primary changes were the rebranding to Ft Lauderdale Strikers & hiring Tim Robbie, the GM from the 70s & 80s original Strikers, as team president. Those 2 things are what turned things around, IMO...:)

13. vettefredje redded

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    The reason I'm asking was because some sources claimed that the Fort Lauderdale Strikers had a surprising 10 million euros in revenue last year. Sponsorship, ticket sales, TV deals, selling players, anything can help. I didn't expect them to be that rich, although they made it to the NASL final. Other clubs that did financially very well in NASL were the Portland Timbers and Montreal Impact, but those clubs are not a big surprise with their big attendance numbers.

http://www.stadiumzone.weebly.com

14. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    the crew suck off the field but as badly as they suck i can guarantee their revenue was far greater than the Strikers. their attendance was over double per game and they had far more sponsorship plus money from SUM.

D2 is notoriously hard to make money, with rare exceptions like the old Portland D2 team or Montreal who were attracting 10K+ fans a game.

that site is pretty suspect i wouldn't put much stock in it.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they convined the Strikers, Railhawks and I think 1 other team all owned by Traffic, I still don't think that takes them to 10 million :p

Well, how many players did traffic sell last year form the USA teams?

Even with that, I doubt it.

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what to tell you if you really think the Strikers had 10 million euros in revenue.

:(

17. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And this is why you don't trust everything you read on the internet. You would have to believe that the Strikers, a minor league team, made over $13 million last year. Which is as likely as FC Dallas having the same revenue as Real Madrid or Barca.

Sponsorship? Nope. Ticket sales? They drew about 3,800 for the season in a stadium they rent and do not own. That means Striker tickets would have to cost more than scalped Super Bowl tickets. TV deal? There is none. This is D2. The Galaxy, with actual superstars on their club, are getting $5.5 million a year from cable and that is considered a landmark deal for a MLS team. Selling players? Nope.

Minor league teams here lose money. You are lucky if you can get close to breaking even.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he is talking revenue, not profits, but still if the Strikers had revenue of more than 2 Million dollars I would be shocked.

19. vettefredje redded

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Thank you very much for your information, I'm investigating this and it's hard to find out their actual revenue. Clubs that lose money can have a positive revenue, because it's something completely different than profit. Montreal Impact and the Portland Timbers were also in NASL when they got a revenue above 10 million euros, but that can be explained because they had a high average attendance. Miami FC used to have a revenue of 2 million dollars, and 20% of the attendance of the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, so it's not 100% impossible (there are more surprises in the list), but indeed I'm going to look for the truth about this. A high revenue can be explained by a lot of things, like good sponsorship or TV deals, selling shirts or players, good business structure, sponsorship deals, ticket sales, a rich owner or other reasons. I will let you know when I know more about this.

20. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    put it this way. even if FS averaged a full paying 4,000 a game and the average ticket price was $20 (which is even higher than some MLS teams) their revenue from tickets (which for a D2 team is almost the entirety of their revenue, especially for a team like FS which doesn't have the local tv/radio revenue or sponsorship revenue that other previous D2 teams like Portland and Montreal had) that would still be only 4,000 x $20 x 14 = $1,120,000.

D2 is notorious for for papering games with free tickets. I would guess that FS are in 7th heaven if their revenue is $1M a year all things considered. and even the best D2 teams like Montreal and Portland were probably lucky to break $2.5M and never got anywhere near $10M much less 10M euros.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    vettefredje, I realize that Portland and Montreal had great attendance in D2, but how do you even know what their revenue or profits were? Do they post it on a website, in a magazine or something?

MLS doesn't even post what player salaries are, you have to wait until the Players Union publishes it. And I don't think NASL/USL are even as forthcoming as MLS.

22. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The best source yet published might be the City of Portland's revenue projections for the Timbers MLS team at Jeld-Wen field right here: http://www.portlandonline.com/omf/index.cfm?a=231170&c=49495

Note the numbers are very conservative - the city under-projected attendance by 100,000 for 2011 and as the numbers are scheduled to decline in 2012. Total revenue gained from ticket sales would have been around $11,000,000 ($10m general admission and $1m club seats) by my calculation. But the NET revenues were probably closer to 6-7m due to admissions taxes and the MLS cut of the ticket revenue.

The 2009 USL Timbers (Timbers haven't been NASL since the early '80s) probably by my estimate only made about $2-4m in ticket revenue before taxes. Tickets were cheaper and fewer people were at games.

So for the Timbers at least the estimated revenue as a MLS team is probably about €12.5m, and the estimated revenue as a USL team is probably at most €2.5m.

Looking at attendance, Ft. Lauderdale would have to average $19/ticket to break $1m in ticket revenue. Even assuming they have good sponsors, there's not much of a TV deal to speak of, transfermarkt.de has them as not buying/selling any players last year, and I doubt merchandise is flying off the shelves.

23. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only the rest of the NASL/USLpro teams had this same problem. :D

You are calculating based on a 14 game regular season only, right?

With 17 games last season, the Strikers would have had to average 2,941 PAYING fans at $20/ticket average to hit $1,000,000 in ticket revenue. That's about a thousand fewer than their reported attendance, which gives alot of room for OleGunnar's "papered" tickets.

I sincerely doubt that the average ticket cost was $20, though. Can anyone provide the season ticket pricing from last year as well as the single game ticket pricing? I'll see if it is still posted somewhere. I see this year's season ticket pricing, but are they the same?

My guess is they probably are somewhere around $12-14 average ticket price and based on a 14 game regular season (can't count on three playoff games every year) they would need somewhere between 5 and 6 thousand paid tickets to hit a million in revenue.

Based on last season's average, IF everyone paid for a ticket (which they most certainly did not, but pretend) then they could have brought in as much as 800k+ in ticket revenue.

3,985 x 17 x 12

To hit 500k, which isn't insignificant for a D2/D3 team, they'd have had to have about 2,450 tickets sold at an average of $12 each over 17 games last year. Which gives room for as many as 1500 free tickets per game. Even I would be skeptical that they gave away that many tickets, but it is certainly possible. And obviously the smaller their actual "tickets gave away" number, the higher their revenue here.

24. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those extra three games the Strikers played during their playoff run really change the numbers alot. Makes getting into the playoffs potentially very lucrative since we have the home and away setup, guaranteeing home games in the later rounds.

25. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I took total season attendance based on the attendance numbers on Kenn's site and divided 1,000,000 by that number. So I guess it would be a 14-game season.