Ft. Lauderdale Strikers

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I'll take whatever works, but I think that the use of Strikers and at least a tip of the hat to the red & gold hoops is required to make it work.

It's going to be interesting to see which way Traffic/Miami FC goes with this. I my very humble opinion they can make this a huge success if they do things right & give it time to gestate. I just wonder if they have the time, the cash and the patience to do the right thing....:)

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    At least the Strikers name evoke warm and fond memories, and has a good legacy. We in Atlanta had two teams named the Chiefs, one named the Apollos, and I'll bet there are still people who think pro soccer in ATL started with the Ruckus/Silverbacks (or the Attack (ugh, I still hate that name!) before them).

3. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really dislike the idea of using "South Florida Strikers" or "Strikers FC". I don't think slapping "South Florida" in front of it will make Miami fans like the team any more than they would "Ft. Lauderdale Strikers". If the Miami Heat, Miami Dolphins and soon to be Miami Marlins can appeal to all of South Florida, why can't the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers?

"South Florida Strikers" sounds like a youth travel team. And while "Strikers FC" is better, screwing with the name takes away some of the benefit of reviving the Strikers brand in the first place.

Miami fans primarily won't be coming because of the team's location, not the name. Why try pander to a bunch of people who are vocal on the miamifc.com comments, but won't even go to games at FIU or Tropical Park, much less Lockhart?

They can be the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers and still reach out, and appeal to, fans in Miami. Advertise, do community events, etc. etc. The Heat, Marlins, Panthers and Dolphins all have events in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Miami FC/Ft. Lauderdale Strikers should do the same.

If their gonna become the Strikers they need to go all out. Red and gold hoops+black shorts+Ft. Lauderdale=A formula for soccer success.

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    +1, FORT LAUDERDALE STRIKERS

Plus, they should try to get some people like Teofilo Cubillas and Ray Hudson on board

5. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago

I disagree. The team is called Miami FC and if you are going to change it it should not be FT Lauderdale. South Florida should be the correct name for it.

6. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with Loco on this one!

7. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the NASL snapped up all the old NASL trademarks for Traffic to tweak one of them. If they're going to go with "Strikers" at all I'd be stunned if it wasn't the full "Ft. Lauderdale Strikers" name. If a name like Miami FC can't draw Miami fans, how is "South Florida" supposed to do better?

8. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not be Miami, but it isn't Ft Lauderdale either. Heaven forbid that the clever, knowledgeable, suave, sophisticates in Miami have anything to do with that hick town. Far better to be part of an undefinable 'South Florida' than be associate in that smaller, backward, English speaking backwater...:D

9. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said before that if they went with South Florida Strikers I could live with it. (Hell, it's not like I am anywhere near there anymore anyway.) But isn't is just possible that there are more soccer fans in Broward than Dade? I know if goes against the popular belief, given the differences in population and demographics, but considering every team at every level that has played at Lockhart has drawn better than those who played south of the border it seems to be true. The NASL Strikers far outdrew the Gatos/Toros. The ASL/APSL Strikers outdrew the Sharks/Freedom. Miami FC draws better at Lockhart than anywhere in Dade.

So they can go ahead and make an obligatory appeal to Dade fans and go with South Florida Strikers if they want, but I don't think it's necessary. If folks from Dade and Palm Beach Counties want to come, they'll come.

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh dear, bye bye Miami :(

11. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the heads up, WSW. I know you're not doing it as a friendly favor, but, it is interesting to know, never-the-less. Looks like we & the beautiful game could get screwed yet again in South Florida. If this should occur I guess it's the Cricket Stadium or FIU Stadium unless some other alternative is found.

You schadenfreude is showing. Considering most of the posts you've made here that seems to be the basis of your character and, yes, it's expected...:rolleyes: Thank you for not letting us down...;)

I'm looking forward to hear what the folks at Traffic & MFC have to say about this Saturday night. It should make an interesting conversation starter, I'm sure.

12. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't worry too much about that water park idea. First off, a) there is already a fairly well known and popular water park in the area, Rapids in Palm Beach, and b) why would anyone, especially tourists, go to a water park in South Florida when the beach is right there? Anyone remember Six Flags Atlantis in Hollywood? I barely do, it closed when I was like 7. A water park down here is not exactly a home run venture.

Besides, I read last month that several Ft. Lauderdale commissioners were viewing the MFC proposal favorably. I never even heard of that semi-pro baseball league who wants the land, so I doubt that happens either.

13. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are right, dr, and I have the feeling you are. My post was directed more at our 'dear friends' from Tampa Bay & their enduring love for us by posting their silliness outside of the rivalry thread.

BTW, I took my kids to 6 Flags many times when it existed. They found it to be far better than the beach....;)

14. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn Dr how old are you? I remember I went there once when I was like 4 years old..

15. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traffic's proposal is far better for the city.
    They will bring international games and hopefully give us a few double headers. Forget about the baseball proposal, too weak and the water park wont happen.
    Vamos Miami! Let's beat those Rochester Whinos!

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You clearly are not prepared for a real rivalry so stop using big words that you either don't or barely understand. I'd feel sorry for you guys if your supporters club was worth feeling sorry for, despite the team existing for half a decade.

And also, I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of this because it might be the end of what could be a good thing for soccer in Florida and the league, a good rivalry.

17. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You better hope it is, because I'm sure the deciders here will be just as aware as you and I are of how badly Traffic runs Miami FC now.

18. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Strikers are back!
    Can't wait for the 2011 season to start!

Go strikers!

19. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant locate any good photos of their new kits, anyone?

20. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    They'll look similar to this. Pretty confident.

21. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jersey unveiling is coming up on March 29th, so anything prior to that would just be a guess. Everyone seems to think it's going to be Joma, so PB9000's mock up could be somewhat close. I'm hoping not, no offense to him of course. I could live with the brighter colors, but I really really hope they don't use those smaller hoops.

22. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they'll look similiar to that i like it, its more of an advanced look to the strikers, i mean im seriously getting fustrated with the people that want the old jerseys back as if they was still playing in the 70's, you want the short shorts too?? Geez. They loook tight, im liking those jerseys rather buy one that look like this than the ones they sold on the website too hot to wear or play with... Im thinking on bying strikers jersey although i miss Miami FC, but im a fan

23. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    These short shorts from the seventies, oh no please

24. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'd better learn to live with it. Everything I've heard indicates that Pieter's rendering is very close to what we'll see.

You mean the time when the team & the sport meant something here? When their games could get an occasional lead on the late nightly TV news and a lead, above the fold headline, in all 3 major local morning papers? When the Strikers could not only sell out Lockhart Stadium, but could play the Cosmos in Giant's Stadium in front of 60,000+ paying customers? When many of us thought that the sport had finally arrived in the USA? Only to have a piss poor economic model doom it to near oblivion.

Maybe those of us that were here then are just hoping for a rebirth of the prominence the sport once had here. Maybe we hope that a reference to that "golden age" will help that rebirth, and help us gain more prominence nationally. There are a lot of reasons we would like that jersey to return, Lucho, but we realize that that will probably not happen anytime soon, if ever. So we'll take the JOMA imitation and live with it. Most will probably purchase the JOMA jersey to show their dedication to the current Strikers. Many will buy both - which I'd do if I had the $$$ - to show our longer standing dedication to the Strikers than just Strikers 3.0. Others will just buy one or the other for their own personal reasons. Either way, or a Striker T-Shirt or cap or scarf (it one is ever offered..;)..), works for me as long as that individual is showing their support for the sport in South Florida.

GO STRIKERS! / VAMOS STRIKERS! as you see fit. As long as you are a Striker Liker or supporter and willing to show your colors you're doing the right thing, IMO....:)