FSW: Ads?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by total_football, Dec 30, 2002.

1. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This must be a telltale sign that I need to cut back on the Fox Sports World (other than "Seinfeld" and "Friends" reruns, it's the only thing I watch on TV) but anyway, here it goes..

With regard to their advertising, does it seem weird that they have now, at last count, three separate and distinct "pasta pot" commericals going for three different brands of pasta pots with the built-in strainer/top?

Given that it's a sports channel, I also assume that the vast majority of their viewers are male; so, what's up with the hair removal ad addressed to women? By no means would I say it's a bad thing to have such ads, but my question/point is: the econimic viability of a station can be measured by the amount, type, and quality of the advertising it can generate. Is it still very much an uphill battle for FSW? I had heard on previous threads that they were generating a small profit.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I once managed a campaign for NC State House. You could buy TV ads for a given station (CNN would be good for political ads) or you could buy a rotation among several stations. The latter is cheaper. I wonder if that hair removal company just is buying a rotation of ads for various digital tier channels. IOW, maybe they didn't buy time on FSW, specifically, maybe they bought time on a group of 5 channels that includes FSW.

3. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    This is nothing compared to what I saw on FSW Canada on an EPL broadcast last week.

I rarely watch the half-time show (always FF to the 2nd half after the end of the 1st half). Some time last week, I stayed with the half-time show hoping to catch some Boxing Day highlights. To my extreme shock, I saw the ads of

***PANTYLINERS***

I mean, this is probably the first time in my life I saw ads of pantyliners on men's sports programming. This is not gymnastics or figure skating or synchronized swimming. This is an EPL game.

So has the EPL become a mainstream sports in Canada for women? or is FSW Canada so desparate for ads that they'll take anything?

4. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange yes, but an economic improvement compared to when they predominately showed non-paying self promotional ads.

5. mikesterw

mikesterw New Member

May 2, 2001
    Long Island, NY
    I have seen the pasta pot and I can't get over how bad the cooks are in the commercial. I mean who in their right mind spills pasta like that? :)

As Kevin said at least they have commercials to help with the bills.

6. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EnerX

"Discussing a man's sexual energy is always a discrete topic."

Now what are they saying about FSW viewers with those EnerX ads?

"Yea, stamina's a good way to put it."

7. rhino_rulz

rhino_rulz New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing those commercials over and over again for the pasta pots with the built-in strainer/top on my favorite channel on my cable TV offering, Fox Sports World, I am tempted to, and likely will, purchase one with some leftover Christmas money.
    Those things just look so darn handy.

8. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: EnerX

:D LOL!!

I haven't seen the D-Snore commercial in a while.

"Snoring could even ruin a romantic cruise!"

9. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    What you mean you guys havent bought the

-Pasta Pro
    -Pasta Pot
    -Pasta Pot Express

I have all three, all three of them even came with the quick and easy Cheese Grater and a smaller 6 0z. pasta pot.

I even bought my mom and dad all 3. SO that totals 9 we bought, 3 of each.

If you haven't bought one your probably the only one who hasnt yet

10. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I'm just impressed that you noticed that there were three different pasta pots being advertised. I just assumed it was one pot. Good job! FWIW, they also advertise the pasta pot pretty heavily on ESPN. Maybe the "ad wizards that came up with this one" at Pasta Pot are just plain dumb. Or they know that pasta and cold cereal are really the only thing most bachelors ever cook.

11. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Re: EnerX

Yeah, this one's great. Especially with the fat chick saying "Before [before Enerx] it was like once a month with no energy at all. Now it's like every single day!!!". Poor guy.

Then the old man. I feel sorry for him. He's got this goggle-eyed wife. He's just excited cause "girls are the only thing on your mind." Then she flashes that lazy eye and says "It could save your marriage."

12. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes, and from all those focus groups, they know that we bachelors are petrified of colanders.