FSU Politics/Current Events V

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Real Corona, Mar 7, 2011.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Yeah - I thought you caught my reference above :) Don't ******** with lions - unless you're on the back of an elephant.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But was she game of thrones producer?

3. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eh? I was referring to myself - I saw a bunch of lions up close, but was on an elephant, and they don't really ******** with elephants.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah generally they don't mess with big things like cars either.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    You know, I can see myself doing something like that and not thinking through....just the nature of being a human...a stupid human perhaps.

8. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
  9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
  10. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Haha that's what I figured, good stuff.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Places like that can give you a false sense of security and a lot of people who don't grow up around wild animals don't realize their power and danger. I saw it a lot in Yellowstone growing up. You'd see people doing the dumbest shit and just wonder if they wanted to get killed.

12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
  13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Akhmetov is a pragmatist. He's tried to stay under the radar and just keep amassing wealth, but with the war you can't play both sides. You have to pick. So he's screwed.

14. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I knew of this but never read a full detailed explanation, thanks for sharing.

Man this place is more deserted than Pripyat lol miss the old days.

15. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Fvcking right! But I'm slowly coming out of my hate stupor for everything Russia(n). The Hobbesian in me is starting to think that enlightened despots (Putin) aren't always that bad. He has the only realistic strategy for Syria...which is to bring the 'revolution' full circle and reinforce the Assad regime until it outlasts everyone else.

Yo Footy I'm heading out to Bloomington/Indy next week. Anyplace decent to catch a drink for CL fixtures??

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Assad is done. He has no army left. It's just a question of how many hezbollah, Iranian soldiers will die for him. How much money Russia is willing to spend dropping bombs. Isis and Sunni militant groups have unlimited gulf oil money and willing recruits from across the globe. Plus Turkish support.

At best Assad will hold on to his alawite rump state, which is best. Since a Sunni take over would mean genocide. Assad's best bet is a retirement condo next door to yanukovich. And a negotiated power sharing deal of some sort between Christian/Shia and Sunni and Kurds. Maybe something like Iraq was supposed to have before Maliki decided to ethnically cleanse the Sunnis after the Americans left.

17. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Are you kidding me? Realistic strategy is by supporting a despot who is even hated by all his neighbors and supported (aside from Putin) by an 8% minority (Alawites)?

I think the only realistic path is creating a Kurdish state in Northern Iraq and Northern Syria, and then destroying ISIS by hands of just about everyone. Kurds are fighting ISIS on the ground (or Daesh, or ISIL, or whatever else they are called this week), Iran, Turkey, France, UK, and US are fighting ISIS from the air. Russia needs to get going. I am almost hoping a couple more Russian planes are knocked down by Turkey. Putin is going to do nothing but sanction Turkish tangerines and complain about being knifed in the back but will never openly engage the NATO might.
    With ISIS gone (and they are suffering huge reverses right now), Russians will no longer be able to use them as an excuse for being there and will have to pull out. And then - Assad is done. He is done already but Russians are propping him up.

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Turkey is fighting ISIS?

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely not.

Just like the Russians are using Daesh as a cover to kill the rebel groups that are threatening Assad, Turkey is using it as a cover to bomb the Kurds.

yasik19 repped this.
  20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Right...not sure what G was talking about.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's talking about the naive simplistic official narrative that we are all fighting Daesh.

22. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Curb your indignations. Putins strategy is far more sound than Kerry's proposal (the only other strategy proposed by anyone else) - which is a unified, secular, Assad free Syria. Putin's strategy is at least attainable, if not improbable. But the Obama administration have their collective heads in the clouds if they think they can unify and secularize Syria.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I'm glad Putin has made that clear?

24. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Pardon the poor sentence structure. I meant to say the Obama administration stated goal (as stated by Kerry) is for a unified, secular, Assad-free Syria. Putin's strategy of a Syria with Assad is far more attainable, if not slightly improbable.

25. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Turkey has carried out strikes against ISIS in support of its clients Turkomans, who ARE fighting against the Daesh.
    And, yes, Turkey has attacked Kurds. But this wasn't the question, was it?