FSU 2024

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Best ever season in 2023. In modern era, this 2023 team was one of, if not the best team I've seen.
    Modern era I'm stating post 2004. That is when UNC began to not win well over 50% of nattys.

On to 2024 This is the roster breakdown as of now.
    I'll list girls first who weren't seniors. I'll list their current year.
    Olivia Garcia So
    Taylor Huff Jr
    Maggie Taitano Fr
    Jordynn Dudley Fr
    Peyton Nourse Fr
    Kaitlyn Zipay R-Jr
    Sophia Nguyen So
    Mimi Van Zanten Fr
    Maria Alagoa Jr
    Heather Gilchrist So
    Olivia Lebdaoui So
    Claire Rain Jr will RS due to injury
    Adelyn Todd Fr GK

I have read elsewhere that Nesbeth, Pais and Echegini are out of eligibility.
    That leaves
    Roque Sr
    Flynn Sr
    Iwai Sr
    Brown Sr
    Olsson Sr
    All of these could move on or stay.
    Recruits
    Wrianna Hudson 6'2" F out of NY #41 TDS
    Emma Kirlin 3 star GKer out of NC
    Peyton McGovern MF out of Virginia #47 TDS
    Nina Norshie 1st team NJCAA out of Ghana Big, tall, athletic
    Solai Washington a Fwd out of Georgia #17 TDS
    Taylor Suarez a Fwd out of NC #18 TDS

Now who and how many do we get from the portal?

RSLer, Ben.D, Crazyhorse and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we need a transfer? I like to roster as is, including the incoming freshmen.

3. fsugeo

fsugeo New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    I’ve heard the staff is as high on Wrianna Hudson as anyone in the class, but this was before Solai flipped from Duke.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been thinking the same thing. The other really strong team I can think of is the 2005 University of Portland team that beat UCLA 4-1 in the championship game. (Note the similar score lines.) Sinclair, Rapinoe, Lopez Cox, Woznuk Kerr, Huie. (That was a year in which the seeding was messed up, with undefeated U of P and Penn State meeting in the semis, playing to a 0-0 tie, and Sinclair kicking the winning PK against Canadian national team teammate McLeod. Then, after a day's rest when people wondered if they would be tired because of the overtime game, the Pilots demolished UCLA.)

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Yes!
    Another site had a poster who spoke to BP at the championship celebration and he indicated he was looking for a couple/few transfers.
    You know you lose Nesbeth and Echegini, 2 of the 5 most important players on the team. There is a good chance you lose Brown, Olsson, Roque, Flynn and Iwai.
    Some of the newcomers may turn into Echegini, Olsson or Nesbeth caliber players, but very little chance they are that in their first year.
    Nesbeth wasn't Nesbeth until last year IMO.
    That is why transfers are so critical.
    Look at this year. It took Dudley the best Fr in the NCAA 1/3 of the year to acclimate. It was the last half of the year for Van Zanten! Now Van Zanten is definitely in the top 10 most talented freshmen IMO.
    Transfers give the newbies time to acclimate and transition.

RSLer and Ben.D repped this.
  6. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 sweepsit, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    Yes, need transfers to fill out the roster. Already had small numbers this year and current commits would see a further reduction to a roster of 19. 17 field players total. That won’t cut it, especially in a youth World Cup year. (I think most if not all seniors leave since they were acknowledged on senior day.) Pensky has been awesome in the portal thus far, hopefully he keeps it up.

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Well when does the portal for soccer players close? As long as they are in the portal can they sign with another team after the portal closes?
    I can't wait to see who we sign out of the portal!
    BTW I saw another poster on another site with second hand knowledge suggesting that Solai Washington may be special. Hope they are right!

8. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GRADUATION:2024

TAYLOR SUAREZ
    FORWARD
    NC
    [​IMG]
    FLORIDA STATE WOMEN
    [​IMG]
    CHARLOTTE SOCCER ACADEMY
    [​IMG]
    ECNL GIRLS
    Suarez led Ardrey Kell High School to the 4A State Championship with 36 goals and 33 assists this past season. The mantle of awards from the past two years alone includes two-time Gatorade North Carolina Player of the Year, two-time NCSCA State Player of the Year, two-time United Soccer Coaches High School State Player of the Year, and NCSCA First Team, All-State, All-Region, and All-Conference selections. She was also named 2023 Charlotte Observer Female Athlete of the Year, 2022 Charlotte Observer Soccer Player of the Year and finished her high school career with 73 goals and 59 assists. During this past year with the Charlotte Soccer Academy she earned Carolina Soccer Honors Female Club Athlete of the Year, U17 Mid-Atlantic Conference Player of the Year, and was selected to the U17 All-American Team. In her time with the USWYNT she has competed at the 2022 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup and scored in the group stage while also playing a big role at the 2022 CONCACAF Women’s U-17 Championship as she scored twice and provided the most assists in the championship.

Suarez comes from Puerto Rican and Portuguese descent and hopes to become a lawyer or work for the FBI. She also has two dogs, Mojo and Benny, and enjoys baking desserts. Her plan is to major in Criminology and is daughter to Lorie and Rick Suarez and sister to JD and Nick.

Noledavey repped this.
  9. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    They just have to have their name in the portal before it closes. They can take their time making a decision.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    You sure about that UCLA score?

11. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found this thread and wanted to introduce myself. FSU grad class of ‘79 (yeah, I’m old as dirt). I would love for the Lady Noles to make it here Utah to play some day.

Ben.D and fsugeo repped this.
  13. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    They can take their time but my guess is that most will decide quickly so they can get to their new campus for the Spring semester, no?

Tom81 repped this.
  14. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Who knows! In the past we have scheduled home and home with UCLA and USC and Texas A&M I believe. BYU would be a school BP would be interested in playing IMO.

RSLer repped this.
  15. whatagoodball

whatagoodball Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 9, 2021
    cpthomas repped this.
  16. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Sure but I was just answering the question with a factual response. Some players also go in the portal now but transfer in May.

17. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    That is correct if they plan on transferring to another college. FSU has rarely had a player transfer to another school that they really wanted to keep. The only example of that happening in the last 10 or so years that I can remember is Olivia Smith and she obviously left because of the whole Krikorian situation so that was a special case.

FSU is most concerned with players like the ones Tom mentioned above (Roque, Flynn, Iwai, Brown, Olsson) as well as Kaitlyn Zipay. None of those players will choose to transfer to another school. If they leave FSU it will be for the pros. Therefore, they can (and will) afford to wait for the best offer similar to what Heather Payne did last year. If they get an enticing offer they will leave. If they don't they will stay but they have time to consider it.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Double Header with a Utah Royals match at America First Field.

Klingo3034 and Crazyhorse repped this.
  19. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    RSLer, Crazyhorse and Klingo3034 repped this.
  21. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Numbers that bode well for us next year.
    Our nattys came in 14,18, 21 and 23.
    The separation between them is 4 years, 3 years, 2 years..
    What's next?
    With that kind of juju, I don't know if the season needs to be played;):po_O

RSLer, VictoryCB and blissett repped this.
  24. ImYouthSoccer

ImYouthSoccer Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Dec 12, 2023
  25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008

FSU got their first transfer from Tennessee. She's another Jamaican National Team player.
    That makes 4 with FSU connections. Cheyna Williams Mathews from our first natty.
    Jody Brown from our 21 and 23 nattys.
    Solai Washington from our 24 natty.;):cool::D
    Kameron Simmonds at trasnfer from Tenn.
    We need a couple more high level transfers.

VictoryCB, RSLer and Noledavey repped this.