FSU 2022

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 7, 2021.

1. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tend to agree about the inflection point. Some big talent coming in next year but fsu needs numbers to shore up the roster as well. The front line should be great next year but should also anticipate another step back in midfield and the back line. Hopefully Pensky can find some answers in the portal as well. He’s recruited well elsewhere and has the results so far this year to stand by so hopefully comes together.

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I, for one, cannot possibly imagine you being rude or ungracious. The fact that six other people repped your post would attest to your standing here on the women's collegiate soccer forum. The Virginia thread is most definitely NOT my thread, so if you wanna take issue with something I've written, have at it. I'm always happy with the convo.

Soccerhunter and Tom81 repped this.
  3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh, and congrats to FSU for the win. Once again, it's FSU and UNC for all the marbles and Virginia is outside looking in. Sigh.

Crazyhorse and Tom81 repped this.
  4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Fsu lost that game it was directly on coach. He ticked off the ref and she tried to hand the game to Unc. Wish he was calmer.

5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically Uva annually gets the best recruit from Florida.

6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I thought Pensky might struggle with the Noles this year--given that what, 4 starters or so opted to leave the program when Krikorian resigned. Turns out the Noles still had/have a lot of talent. The Noles gave up more goals this year than they would have under Krikorian--but based on the matches I saw, they were lots more dynamic and entertaining in attack. The Noles bossed UNC in the 2nd half today to win another ACC title.

7. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Congrats to Florida State, they were the better team today. Used their speed when needed, good control, took advantage of opportunities. Carolina never really created anything, just didn’t seem to have their mojo going this afternoon.

Crazyhorse and Tom81 repped this.
  8. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm curious when the last time UNC got no corner kicks!
    If I'm a Tarheel, I'm upset with the no hand ball call in the box.

I'm not a rules guru, but I thought the time wasting call was questionable.
    On free kicks the defense is always made to move back, don't know the exact distance. Is there no such rule for GKer kicks?

I'm proud of how the Noles with a short bench took it to UNC in the 2nd half.

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the time wasting call, one way to think about it is, what would the keeper have done if FSU had been behind at that point in the game. I bet she would have kicked the ball.

10. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, as a UVa fan, anyone but UNC. Congrats to the Seminoles. And to Pensky who established the template for what Duke, Virginia and UNC are going to need to do when their respective long-term coaches eventually step down.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Optics.

12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I get that!
    Is there no rule for giving the GKer space for the kick. Roque was obviously asking for more space?
    I know that free kicks require the defense to back off.

sweepsit and Crazyhorse repped this.
  13. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone thought the sky was falling when Mark left and rightfully so, however the talent was still here.

14. the850pitch

the850pitch New Member

Oct 15, 2021
    Interfering with the goalkeeper is not allowed. Earlier this year, I saw Olsson get whistled for pressuring the opposing keeper.

However, there is a lot of discretion for the referee on whether to call it. Sometimes they will just warn the player first. It's obvious if the player actually tries to interfere with a punt, though.

In this case, Roque appears to have been cautioned for delaying the restart of play by holding the ball for longer than six seconds. Dellaperuta was kind of following Roque around, but the referee chose to call the delay of restart of play.

Luckily the second touch went harmlessly out of bounds.

15. USFSU

USFSU Member

Aug 20, 2005
    #340 USFSU, Nov 6, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    Tom, if you follow my link on the last page, it goes right to the law you need.
    But the850pitch is correct, 6 secs (hardly ever called until you get closer to 20) to release and the law is vague on how a player might interfere with releasing the ball. But usually only given when players are acting like Olsson did in that example... Unfortunately, my taping cut out with 3 mins left on the clock. I'll have to find a replay. Hoping ESPN has it.
    Edit: Tracked it down on espn. Timed it from when she got the ball til the whistle, 20 secs. Refs won't usually call interfering until it gets blatant like with Jodi delaying the restart after her foul. Doubt she calls it though if she hadn't already been warning FSU for time wasting the last minutes during throw-ins.

Tom81 repped this.
  16. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FSU with a hard fought 3-0 win over a very game FGCU.
    We had a 26-4 shot advantage and they had the advantage with 19 fouls versus our 2. The ref missed the boat IMO in not calling a YC or two earlier. He let it get chippy.

sweepsit repped this.
  17. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In good news, Payne did not appear on today's friendly roster for Irish national team after largely starting for them at forward for the last year or so. Phew. Glad it looks like she is staying stateside for the playoffs rather than taking part in the national team window.

Ben.D repped this.
  18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    After getting behind 10 minutes into the game, FSU storms back for a 4-1 win and it afforded the key starters about 25 minutes of rest in the 2nd half. That's good considering we play again on Sunday against a very game Pitt team.

19. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Any number of teams can win this tournament.
    That said, the scariest team to me is ND.
    Korbin Albert is a STUD!

sweepsit repped this.
  20. the850pitch

the850pitch New Member

Oct 15, 2021
    With the loss of Emily Madril, it seems like FSU is more vulnerable to forwards attacking one on one before the defense can set up. I'm hoping that the Notre Dame game was an aberration being on a road trip.

LSU was able to create mismatches on the counter attack and that helped them to score their only goal. This changed however in the second half when they just seemed to run out of gas.

Nesbeth took a hit to the forehead, and Payne also seemed to have a leg injury. It's good that the starters were able to get significant rest.

21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FSU advances to Elite 8 with a 3-0 win over Pitt in chilly weather in Tally.
    We miss Emily defensively, but we miss her more offensively.
    We don't have a CB this year who can RELIABLY dribble upfield and deliver precise passes, beating defenders 1v1 along the way.
    5 ACC teams in the elite 8. Apparently that's a record.

Noledavey and Ben.D repped this.
  22. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. FSU has been able to cover for the loss better than I expected with more direct play and adding Echigini to the front lines. They have had an elite advancer from the CB spot since Kuikka and no more. Though I am impressed with Gilchrist’s long distribution. Hope to see further progression there.

And I believe the ACC had 6 in the elite eight in 2013. Epic year for the conference with 3 advancing to final four and …. UCLA walking away with the title. Hopefully FSU sees it through three more games this year. If Madril were here I’d expect it, without her, still a really good shot but I’d give fsu a 50/50 shot against the ND/UNC winner and then a battle in the final if they get there of course.

Soccerhunter, Noledavey and Tom81 repped this.
  23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Well FSU was under constant pressure in the first half, but came out with more purpose in the 2nd.
    A win is a win!
    Not sure what was wrong with Echegini, but she didn't seem like herself. Maybe it was an injury from a collision early in the game, but she was not the normal hustling and dazzling player we have come to love.

24. the850pitch

the850pitch New Member

Oct 15, 2021
    I noticed the substitution pattern was different but I thought it was tactical due to Arkansas’s tactics. The team fell back into an all hands defensive formation to prevent their high energy attack from succeeding during the first half.

I think Jo [Echegini] was injured last game IIRC. She seemed injured and the wave of subs came in. Olsson also seems to have sprained her wrist in this game.

After Arkansas lost energy FSU was able figure things out.

25. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #350 McSkillz, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Yah, we are coming for you all, and your tomahawk chops you white people seem to want to do in Florida State because you want to pretend you care about the tribe is super cringe in the ESPN+ coverage. It's so offensive but again, you're savior is that Republican idiot DeInsanios so I don't know why I even bother. BTW, I'm Lakota that's enrolled in Standing Rock, South Dakota whose family was relocated to Los Angeles. I won't question the funny indigenous stuff you guys want to mock since it's been in the system for so long. Just telling you that it's not funny globally and not within many tribes that find it offensive. As a Native American, this weird chopping motion I see in the crowds at your games is really quite hilarious. In reality, I wish you hardcore fans would ask to stop that stuff as it Native American culture and makes a mockery of it.

RANT OVER.

So yeah other than my political stuff, I think your team has always been good and yeah we are all going to college cup so good luck. But yeah I have a hard time with the chopping motions. Just like when I see the Atlanta Braves and they do chopping motions, it really makes me hurt. I'm sorry.