FSG

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Aug 31, 2012.

1. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get why we can't use examples of well run, successful, majority fan owned clubs. Majority of Bayern's revenue is corporate, by a wide margin, which is a direct result of them running the club successfully over the past 15-20 years. They prove the point that it can be done, and done well.

Sir Niney repped this.
  2. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell does this have to do with the college draft (for the record the Packers haven't been shyte since the late 80's)?

3. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nothing which is why it shouldnt be copied at liverpool

4. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they were shite in the early 90s, too.

5. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Why not? Why wouldn't selling shares in the club direct to supporters rather than on a stock market, and then investing that in the club be a good idea?

If watching saved by the bell has taught us anything the early 90's are the same as the late 80's :)

Twenty26Six repped this.
  6. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it is a good idea it just wont happen or work in the scummy epl

7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What make the EPL any different than any other league, other than its mid-table teams are richer than most in europe?

There are 4 possible ownership models: Rich man's play toy, pseudo rich man's debt laden asset, conservative rich man's slow growth asset, or fan owned slow growth asset.

We currently have the model of conservative man's slow growth asset which spends what they make and tries to do so as efficiently as they can (with varying degrees of success). This model is very similar to what a majority fan owned team would be: spend what the club makes and try and do as efficiently as we can.

Sir Niney repped this.
  8. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    IMO, the biggest problem with the fan owned model is attracting new capital in the future. What new investor is going to want to come in as a minority partner to a fan owned/run organisation which could turn flakey at any time? And if the fans only own a small % and have zero say in anything, what's the point?

9. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does Bayern do it? They do it by having corporate partnerships that go beyond just being sponsors.

Why would a fan owned organization go flakey at any time? Its not like the club would be run by a bunch of jokers in the pub. You would still have (or get) proper executives to run things.

From Wiki

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It precludes the need for that type of an investor, though, doesn't it? Football doesn't just make profits so unless we're talking of "lender" type of investor.

11. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hes under investigation and isnt one of bayerns directors in jail

12. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    in many other leagues the small teams have or recieve little even the relegation teams in the my a **** load.

13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why does anything go flakey? It's not usually on purpose.

However, whoever the appointed executives are, they are ultimately at the mercy of the fan base. Which, in crisis, may make "emotional" decisions?

If I were investing a substantial amount of my own money, its not something I would want to get into.

14. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    But does it? What happens when a stadium needs expanding? Or TV money suddenly dries up? What if the club needs a big injection of equity?

Not saying there is any doomsday scenario on our horizon, but unexpected shit does and will happen .......

15. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this goes to my other thought. Would you rather have a midtable club owned by the supporters? Or a title winning side owned by someone with no connection to the club? Obviously the devils in the details but in theory I would go for the former. For me supporting a club isn't just about being able to brag to friends about titles. If Liverpool was the first big English club to go to some form of fan ownership I would be 100% behind it, even if it put us at a bigger disadvantage financially.

16. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd rather have an owner who was passionate about the club and who could afford to keep it competitive.

17. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What's the story on Henry being at every Klopp match? He was absent for many of BR's biggest matches:eek:

18. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Then difference between Germany and England is that Germany has no strong pay TV market, for reasons unrelated to football. Bayern for example had a domestic TV income of 50 million Euros last season. That's about half what, say, QPR got in England.

German clubs aren't really fan-owned, though - they are non-profit organizations, so fans (or anyone else) can't really buy shares. The professional football section is often (but not always) spun off into a company, of which shares might be sold to investors. Clubs don't actually need to own any of those shares, the rules in Germany only require them to have the majority of votes within the company (e.g. Borussia Dortmund's pro team is mostly owned by investors, but the non-profit club still has the final say on all decisions).

ScholesyLFC repped this.
  19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ouch! :eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...do-Torres-Pepe-Reina-slammed-past-primes.html

LIVERPOOL'S SQUAD FOR 2010-11 SEASON WHEN FSG BOUGHT THE CLUB

Senior squad

Brad Jones

Glen Johnson

Daniel Agger

Fabio Aurelio

Steven Gerrard

Fernando Torres

Joe Cole

Milan Jovanovic

Sotiris Kyrgiakos

Maxi Rodriguez

Dirk Kuyt

Lucas Leiva

Jamie Carragher

Pepe Reina

Jay Spearing

Stephen Darby

Martin Skrtel

Christian Poulsen

Ryan Babel

Paul Konchesky

Raul Meireles

20. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wouldnt say fsg were the best judge of players

21. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  22. ScholesyLFC

ScholesyLFC Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Holladay, Utah
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One of the happiest days in years. I thought it funny that JH says he tried to convince IA to stay on. Ha ha ha ha, uh huh, sure you did. Was that before or after you told him he could resign or be fired?

Now whoever buys the club can install their own person in that top job without worry. Such good news for the club.

23. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Henry! :D

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...job-Liverpool-John-W-Henry.html#ixzz5GT6rH1QL

burning247, jeffcoop and delaynomo repped this.
  25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow - burn...................