FSC to go HD

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by paraider5, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ChicagoAzzuri

ChicagoAzzuri New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I think FSC will do a better job then ESPN, but the OP's point is a good one, a lot of casual fans or people who don't even watch soccer like events like the Champions League and tune in if they see it on (and possibly get more interested in soccer), less likely if those people aren't subscribed to a sports package that would get FSC (except for maybe the final)

2. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That entirely depends on the ratings. MLS cup doesnt get all that great ratings, and it would be fairly easy to make more money with a lower rated syndicated show with more commercial breaks. But, raise the ratings significantly, and the economics change. MLS is just below ABC's weight class.

But Im suprised that they are talking about putting it on fox at all though. I would think that moving it to FSC would do something that espn does, which is use the CL to raise their "Must have" credentials with providers, allowing them to charge a (larger) fee to cable/satelite providers who in turn resell it consumers. http://deadspin.com/5098814/explori...el-hint-it-involves-swimming-in-piles-of-cash explains the business mode as its what ESPN runs to perfection.

Thats really the "brilliance" of ESPN, its pseudo PPV, only you dont actually know your paying for it. And lots of people paying for it dont even know they are. Its a model that could work for FSC in terms of the beautiful game, but on a lesser scale. Plus you make some additonal change off of the ad revenue.

Seems like a perfect model for FSC to do on a smaller scale, focussing on the beautiful game.

3. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I get MLB network in HD and GolTV on Time Warner. No Setanta though.