FSC Ticker Follies for August 26th [NO R]

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Aug 26, 2006.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    ESPN is still dumber than FSC although FSC is closing the gap fast!

Tomorrow should be a good test. If espn2 shows all CL scores on their ticker during the PSV match except the Barca score, then I'll be impressed. But I'm expecting them either to not show any CL games on their useless ticker (which is fine), OR showing all CL games including the Barca and PSV scores (which would just be dumb and lazy). :eek:

2. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    I was able to contact a Fox Sports exec and I related Matt's claim that there was a second spoiling this weekend, and he was clearly unaware of it and stated:
    So clearly they do not want to spoil their own matches.

However, I had less results in terms of getting the ticker killed altogether, he referred to it as their "information service". :(

3. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I never trust ESPN so I put a piece of paper along the bottom of the screen to block the ticker. But ESPN is not a soccer network and will only show one more game on delay on ESPNC (and it's not always certain that game will be different than the one running on ESPN2). But FSC is another story. I agree with an earlier poster that it's always better to tape the live match and add extra time to the tape/DVR if for no other reason than to avoid cutting (e.g., I screwed up my tape of the Barca-Arsenal CL final last year and watched the rebroadcast on ESPN2 and that re-broadcast was cut so they could fit the trophy ceremony in the 2 hour block). However, we can't always tape or there are multiple games running at the same time that we want to tape and we have to make a choice. I don't think the viewer can be blamed for watching a delayed match. Why would FSC show a match 2-3 times? Because they know some people will miss the first broadcast. So there is no reason to use a ticker. I really believe that soccer in the US draws a different kind of audience, an audience that will look up scores on the Net or wait for FSW Report/SKy News/Gol's news show to see scores.

Ultimately I can't wait for the day when US sports networks start implementing the kind of thing we hear announced on Sky feeds: push the red button to view....The tickers should only appear when we push the red button (or choose your color) rather than junking up the screen at all times. I bet other sports fans would agree: I like baseball and hockey as well and I hate it when ESPN junks up the screen with the ticker. I'd rather see a full screen rather than 3/4 for action and 1/4 divided between the ticker, scores/time that I could pull up on my own, and various ads. Take care.

4. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only a small few are bothered by tickers. People want to know the scores of games as they are happening without having to get out of their chair and get on the computer. Plus, people like me who have only 512MB ram, 2.4Ghz processor, and only RoadRunner internet (not T1) it takes way too long to get the scores.

5. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    What ???

I can get any score in about 4 seconds with 128mb ram, 333mhz processor, and only B wifi (using the 1999 laptop in my living room next to the sofa).

6. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    In US sports sure, but soccer is different. Like the poster above you said,

7. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    I've now heard back from a Fox Soccer exec that:

8. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    Well, ESPN has done it again. I'm watching Lyon v. Real Madrid on Classic right now. In the 17th minute, the scores for the CL go scrolling by including the score for the game I'm watching. I really need to stop looking at the scores for the CL in the ticker as I should know by now that they won't get it right.

9. shanks909

shanks909 Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I'm not bothering with the Lyon v. Real Madrid match, since ESPN flashed the score on the ticker no fewer than 3 times during the Man Utd. v. Celtic match!

Not sure if ESPN uses the same ticker for ESPN2 and ESPN2HD, but I was watcching the HD channel, since the video is a little sharper even though not in HD.

While I applaud them for airing a second match on ESPN Classic, I don't see the point, if they are going to give away the result.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, noticed that too. I don't recall them doing that yesterday.

They also saved me time by showing a USWNT preview at halftime. Once I saw Dave O'Brien was commentating, I decided not to watch.

11. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    The ironic thing about me being spoiled by the ticker is that I didn't look at it at all during the Man Utd match. I figured I was safe though that they wouldn't show the score of the match they were showing on delay.

12. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ESPN are run by idiots!

13. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Way to go ESPN.

ESPN Deportes also does this. The commentating crew starts announcing the scores of all the games knowing they have a marathon of games following the LIVE match. :eek:

14. Zidane's Head

Zidane's Head New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    NYC
    Umm, yesterday the guys calling the matches were very good about warning that other scores were going to be given. Plenty of warning. Obviously missed.

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the issue was the ticker, which is produced independently from the match broadcast (and only goes to ESPN2, whereas the telecast goes out to various countries).

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, ESPN2's ticker at about 9pm CT last night showed "MLS: DC 1, N.ENGLAND 1 F/OT"

:)

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, they made sure not to spoil the Dynamo - Steaua match (a match which probably less than 1% of the viewers would end-up watching later). Meanwhile, they provided no warning before showing the final score of the match they were currently showing! :p

It's so inept, it just makes you wanna rush to the book store and buy the "Why Europe Will Run the 21st Century" book.

18. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Heh.

they hadn't changed it this morning. It was the same thing as I flipped on Mike & Mike.

19. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can the FSC ticker get any worse? they ran BASEBALL scores during today's Super Saturday+ show!

20. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FOX Sports en Espanol's ticker has been doing this for a while.