FSC Ticker Follies for August 26th [NO R]

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Aug 26, 2006.

1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *** THIS IS A NO RESULTS THREAD ***

After a promise from Nick & Steven on FFF that the ticker was now fixed, it apparently indeed is.

It's come on twice during Tottenham v Everton (10:00 AM ET KO), and both time all it has shown has been the Mexican league games.

No chance of spoiling there. :)

2. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    Can you give detalis about the FFF segment about the ticker ??

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check the FFF thread, someone mentioned it there. I didn't see it.

As of 3:30 PM ET, I have yet to see anything in the ticker besides the Mexican schedule.

4. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
  5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's somewhere then. Search for "ticker". Now that I think of it, they also mentioned it on their radio show.

Regardless, FSC definitely adjusted the ticker. It went for ^$^# last week (spoiling the Reading game) to useless this week. That's an improvement I guess.

6. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    basically a called phoned in and asked what was up with them giving away the score of the Boro game and they stopped him mid sentance and said they were aware of the problem and it was being fixed.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised no one's yet complained that it's:

1) Too tall
    2) Present
    3) Spoiling mexican league games (FSC shows MFL on Monday nights.)

;)

I'd just like to know why they have it. If I want to know a score, why can't I just go online (which in turn, would give their website some traffic). Also, if i'm taping a game and plan on keeping the tape for more than a week, the ticker is pointless 3 years later.

It also pops up with a really slow moving "for more information, log on to foxsoccer.com" then speeds up as it nears the end. Move it fast from the beginning. Some soccer fans might be simpletons, but they do NOT need a message "You are watching Fox Soccer Channel."

8. Meta Tarsal

Meta Tarsal BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 10, 2006
    Well, Nick and Steven's promises don't mean much.
    FSC ran the final score of the Boro-Pompey match on its ticker several times during the 2 a.m. ET showing of the same match.
    Granted, this was a replay of a match that was aired live, meaning I could have avoided the result if I had recorded the original telecast, but still. I mean, the ticker included two matches -- that one and Barca-CdV. What's the ********ing point of it??

9. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Wait . . . you're pissed that they showed the score during a replay of a match they had already shown?

10. Zidane's Head

Zidane's Head New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    NYC
    On the EPL Talk podcast interview with the EVP or whatever of FSC, the exec is very clear that this will not happen again, and heads would roll if it does. he also said they had no control over it, but it has now been fixed, and will not happen again.

(The whole cast is well worth listening to)

11. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Simple...then you should've recorded the live broadcast. Always record the LIVE game.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    In fairness to Meta Tarsal, he doesn't sound pissed. Just confused about the purpose of the ticker.

I must say it's a bit bizarre (and amateurish) to flash 2 scores on the screen, one of which nobody who is watching the channel wants or needs to know.

On the other hand, the Saturday ticker we MUST have. I mean, the only reason people watch EPL on the weekends is to get the latest Mexican scores. I'm sure of it!

13. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    So you are saying that someone interviewed an exec at FSC after the incident, and did not ask "Why not remove the ticker altogether?".

That's a good reason to make a point of never mentioning the existence of the EPL Talk site ever again !

14. Meta Tarsal

Jun 10, 2006
    Uh, perhaps you should read my original post in its entirety. I admitted that I should have recorded the live broadcast.
    But thanks anyway. (For the record, my TiVo is down so I had to use the ol' VHS, which I used for the Barca match during that time slot.)

I'm not pissed so much as I am nonplussed. Why show the final score of a match while that same match is being broadcast, even on a delayed basis? What is the point of doing this? (Hey, look, we might be dumping most of our worthwhile programming, but we've got this ticker!)
    Besides, I'm sure anyone who wanted to see the final score before 2 a.m. had already seen it on the Internet.

15. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Just reminding you that recording the LIVE game is always safer and also recording an extra 15-30 minutes in case the game gets delayed due to whatever reason.

I agree that the ticker is useless to have at all...if not known how to be used.

16. Meta Tarsal

Jun 10, 2006
    I've been watching games on FSC practically since FSW was launched. They managed for years not to spoil the results of the matches they were showing -- even those on a delayed basis.
    Now they've got a shiny new ticker and are running amok with it.
    Perhaps they're trying to drive away the few viewers their shell of a channel has left.

17. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    I imagine there are people that do not own a Tivo (If everyone did have Tivo, why would they every show replays of anything?), therefore it is certainly a valid point.

Since they are replaying the match in the fist place, they must be assuming some people are watching it for the first time, which means putting up the final score mid-match is completely inappropriate.

18. dfwrazorback

dfwrazorback New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Regardless of the extent to which it may anger an individual viewer, it's just dumb from a business standpoint to show the final score of the game being broadcast no matter how many hours or days old it is. Unlike other sports in the U.S., with soccer scores it is very unlikely you will "accidentally" hear a rundown of the final scores on the radio or on TV (other than FSC). The only scores you will hear during most radio/TV tickers here are football, baseball, basketball, etc. So if I happen to come across a soccer match on FSC on a weeknight at say 10pm that was played earlier in the day, there's a better than average chance that I don't know the final score. If I start watching this match and then 20 minutes in FSC runs a ticker with the final score, it is highly unlikely that I will keep watching, especially if the score at that point happens to be the final score. Would I be bitterly angry? Nah, maybe a little annoyed, but I would just find something else to watch. But what has FSC done to themselves in this situation? They've just lost a viewer for the remainder of the broadcast.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During Manchester United v Tottenham, FSC spoiled Sheffield United v Blackburn, the game they are showing next.

So FSC has learned nothing.

20. By-Tor

By-Tor Member

Tottenham Hotspur, Chicago Fire
    Nov 30, 2003
    Deerfield, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I remembered to put my hand up to block the ticker. How many heads are rolling at FSC? My guess is zero.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About SU-Blackburn.

[result]
    The apathetic, sucky, ping-pongy play of the two teams spoiled that match far worse than showing the score ever could. In fact, showing the score might have been a public service, and not a screw up. :D[/result]

22. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ditto. I wasn't happy with that either.

One thing that was good with FSC is that they were not ESPN, with all that information overload streaming down at the screen, spoiling the results for everyone. FSC were doing a good job before, why do they need to fukc it up and make their format look like ESPN?

Bozos in L.A., think for one moment: What value does the ticker add to your audience's viewing pleasure?

Please give me a good answer.

23. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Even ESPN isn't as dumb as FSC. Last season, one of the Chelsea CL games got bumped to a delay slot, and ESPN ran a ticker of all of the CL games WITHOUT the result of the game being shown.

FSC = Frankly (or a different word that begins with F) Sloppy Channel.

Since, I'm upset about the ticker deal, I might as well vent about the amateurish production quality that hasn't improved since the channel started. Also, I'm tired of having the English game announcers, who are making inciteful, intelligent comments about the game, being talked over at every opportunity.

Done, for now.

Oh, and the best show on the channel being bounced from a good time slot, Friday night before the games kick off the next day, to Tuesday. At least the show is longer now, but I seem to be always running around on Tuesday so I haven't seen it yet.

24. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    There was another CL game last year that was bumped back a bit (I believe it was Inter) that ESPN ruined during the game. They showed the score in the first half on their ticker. I'd avoided all sources of scores for that day and they still ruined it. It was during the quarters I believe so there were only 2 matches that day and still ESPN showed the score.

25. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    Don't forget that one of their programs is being shown in the wrong aspect ratio for over a year now.