FSC on Christmas Day

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Numquam Moribimur, Dec 13, 2005.

1. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    yeah iwish they had showed two other matchs
    the 99 champs league final
    and the fa cup arsenal man utd match were rvn scores on a pk

2. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry this took so long, but I just finished watching ALL the games from Christmas Day on FSC. What a fantastic Christmas present! Anybody else catch the full slate of games?

The 83 FA Cup final reminded me of a golden time in my own life. I was 19 years old that Spring, playing college soccer, still driving my fist car (a green 1968 VW beetle), in love for the umteeth time and proud as hell to be a United fan. All my buddies were Liverpool bandwagoners. I appreciated the way the Scouser scum played the beautiful game, but I hated them with all my being.

Two things stuck out to me as I watched that rebroadcast. First, the number of American flags in Wembley that day. Second, how the announcer reminded everyone watching that Man Utd were indeed THEN, the biggest club in the world. Remember that this was only the second major trophy we had hauled in since 1968. I want to remind my young friends here on BigSoccer who perhaps never saw United play before the 90's that the Premiership did make United great, but rather United made the Premiership great. Chelski can win the next five EPL titles and never come close to being the club we are right now. Englishmen can complain that Man Utd fans come from everywhere but Manchester, but that is only half the tale. From Busby's Babes and the Munich disaster, to the '68 European Cup to Fergie's Fledglings, we are the greatest club in the world.

It gave me goosebumbs to watch Bryan Robson walk up the steps to recieve the FA Cup. Moran, McQueen, Wilkens, Stapelton and Whiteside. What a bunch! I had heard of the classic 2-1 victory in 1977 (it wasn't broadcast live in LA), but this team was the first I could really love.

Incidently, I watched the games in chronological order, and it was interesting to see how the rules of the game have changed. The back pass, substitution rules, the brutal fouls, etc. We've come a long way baby! Thank you Fox Soccer Channel! I'll be waiting for the boxed set next year at this time.

3. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar

yeah really i couldnt agree more, rep on the way :)