FSC/FSE Megathread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Girlbinti, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    he's in Canada :p

2. Johnny Bundesliga

Aug 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The "Ho-zay/Jo-say" screw up is ineptitude of the highest order, I agree. But even the UK-based announcers mispronounce names. Example, a recent Fulham game featured Simon Davies and Steven Davis in the squad. The pbp commentator repeatedly distinguished them by calling the former "Day-veese" and the latter "Day-viss." In fact, Simon's name is pronounced "Day-viss" as well. An aside: Until recently I didn't know that Ray Davies of The Kinks pronounces his name that way, too. I think every rock radio DJ in the U.S. in the past 40 years has gotten that one wrong.

3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    My local Irish pub is going to show two matches.

Manchester United v Wigan - 6.45 AM (central time)
    Aston Villa v West Ham - 9.00 AM (central time)

Why isn't FSC showing these matches?

4. Johnny Bundesliga

Aug 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Rights for those belong to Setanta Sports -- only available on Dish and Directv or Setanta Broadband.

Setanta has the early games on Saturdays and Sundays, Monday nights and the first and third choices at 9 a.m. CT Saturdays. This week, that means they have the ONLY choice at 9 a.m. CT Saturday, since there's only one game in that time slot. All the other Saturday games (including the 11:15 CT game that's customarily on FSC) were moved to Sunday because of clubs' UEFA Cup commitments on Thursday and a couple of other considerations in other cases.

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the Premier League makes its schedule under the premise that nothing else exists (like say this Champions League thing), or so it seems, so games get moved around when that could be avoidable.

6. chinua

chinua New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Since most games this week are on Sunday, FSC is actually showing Liverpool v Tottenham (10 a.m.) although Fulham vs Portsmouth was originally scheduled as the game of the week.

Johnny Bundesliga, since some of us are challenged (pick me!) and need to visually see what you just said... Setanta Sports shares matches with FSC based on the following schedule:

Saturdays Time Channel
    7:45 a.m. ET Setanta Sports
    1st and 3rd pick 10 a.m. ET Setanta Sports
    2nd and 4th pick 10 a.m. ET Fox Soccer Channel
    12:15 p.m. ET Fox Soccer Channel

Sundays* Time Channel
    8:30 a.m. ET Setanta Sports
    11 a.m. ET Fox Soccer Channel

Mondays** Time Channel
    3 p.m. ET Setanta Sports

* All incremental Sunday games on FSC.

** Other midweek games shared on the same basis as Saturday 10 a.m. ET games

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Is Liverpool-Tottenham really coming on at 10AM?

8. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    So it's not on...reason?

Neither, it appears, will Fulham-Portsmouth be played later on.

So FSC has become the Serie A channel, and that's it?

9. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    those games are Sunday.

10. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    OK...so where are the traditional FSC Saturday Premiership games?

Have they stopped showing Premiership games on Saturday?

11. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    most of the EPL games were moved to Sunday this weekend due to midweek European games and other reasons.

12. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    In the 7 a.m. Pacific slot, they had live Sky Sports News, I think the show is Goals on Saturday. Kind of a fun watch, every goal in the top five English divisions and the top four in Scotland flashing at the bottom of the screen, a few on-site reports, and three guys watching games on monitors.

Mind, it became kinda pointless when they cut away from it just as halftime was ending. :confused:

13. chinua

chinua New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    No disrespect but the answer to that question was only 5 posts above by Johnny Bundesliga. :)

14. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Is FSC required to show the absolute worst Euro2008 game they can find? I looked to see what they were showing next Saturday, and it appears to be Faroe Islands vs. France and Lichteinstein vs. someone who's going to (probably) beat them to a pulp. (I checked again; it's Sweden.) Setanta can't be showing all those games live. Does Setanta get dibs on even tape-delayed games?

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    FSI (FSC/FSE) got a handful of "leftover" Euro 2008 games in a rights swap with Setanta (which got all the rugby from NewsCorp/FSI).

Setanta keeps the "ethnic" games for closed-circuit (England, Poland, Greece, Croatia) and the channel (Portugal, Turkey), as well as any "tier 1" matches for the channel after all the "ethnic" games are accounted for.

16. ncfcb

ncfcb New Member

May 29, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks FSC for spoiling the Fiorentina - Juve result!:mad::mad:

17. chinua

chinua New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Personally, I will not watch a same-day tape-delay games. In a situation like that, I will just get the extended highlights. Since I'm consistently getting football updates, to me, watching a game that I already know the score is pointless.

Some people argue that if the scores are scrolled around the bottom, it ruins it. To me its great! I know exactly what is going on in other matches and since I'm watching this particular match live, I have no interest in the other matches other than the highlights.

Ideally, it would be nice if FSC can spawn a second channel so they will not have to tape-delay matches.

BTW, what you all think about the Reds v Spurs match?

18. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    With the lazio v Inter game cancelled - any info as to a substitute Serie A match on fsc? Just wondering...
    Thanks..

19. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm amazed that FSC was able to snag Israel-Russia, the best matchup of the
    final round(especially for England fans)

20. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    You must be joking. Noone outside of the fans of the three countries concerned (not that many in the US) would watch this game. I know I didn't and instead watched much better EQ games on sopcast. To me this Saturday on FSC was a typical Setanta leftover weekend, with weak games not worth watching, even if they were free.

21. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I watched the Scotland-Italy game on ESPNDeportes. As soon as that one ended, I switched over to Isreal-Russia, which was at halftime. Given the scoreline and the situation in the group, I felt Israel-Russia was the one to watch at that particular time... for the neutral fan, anyway. But I don't recall what other games were going on at that moment as the 2nd half was beginning. There may have been "better" games on at that time, but was qualification hanging in the balance the way Group E was given the situation?
    I was waiting for Spain-Sweden, which still had another two hours to go until kickoff.

22. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The "good" qualifiers involving teams with supporters who are willing to sell their first borns, i.e. England, Ireland, Greece, Poland, Croatia are always on pay-per-view in the U.S.

Some immigrant groups are able to resist pay-per-view. Examples: the Italians, the Turks, the Scots, and the Serbs. Result? Those games are no longer on pay-per-view because the promoters (i.e. Setanta, FOX Sports International) got tired of losing money.

--

The one "good" game this coming Wednesday, from the neutral perspective who are watching for entertainment (another Beckham free kick, anyone?) will be England vs Croatia.

Luckily for me, I will be in Macau SAR, China on business.

The hotel where I will be staying offers two Rupert Murdoch-run sports TV channels: ESPN Asia and STAR Sports Asia (ESPN Asia is actually a sister network of FOX Sports in the US despite the ESPN brand name).

England vs Croatia will be live on STAR Sports Asia at 4am local time on Thursday, which is perfect for me given that I am scheduled to arrive at the hotel at around midnight.

23. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Ollie-

Does either ESPN Asia or STAR Sports Asia offer the NASCAR Channel?

24. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    bwahaha :D

25. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something happened today during the Fulham game, the feed was lost and it said "Channel 202 'Soccer' Cannot be Found" or something like that. (FSC is channel 149 on Dish)