Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Novakovich starts the season finale against Reggina.

Take this, dry spell:

upload_2021-5-10_9-0-6.png
    upload_2021-5-10_9-0-25.png

Brace! And it's only halftime.

ShortyMac, edcrocker, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen, ShortyMac, sakibomb523 and 6 others repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen, ShortyMac, edcrocker and 3 others repped this.
  4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some Serie A club give him a chance, please.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By my count Nova ended the season with somewhere between 30-32 games with 11 goals and 6 assists. Not a shabby season at all. Frosinone were pretty disappointing this season and were as mid-table as you can get with a 12-14-12 (50 pts) and a -4 GA. Does he stay or does he go? I wonder what his options would be anyway?

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    With 11G/6A he's the #8 attacker in the league. The top one is Lecce's Massimo Coda with 22G/8A. He played some games with Parma the season they finished last and went bankrupt, but overall was not deemed good enough for that team.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Fair to say this is his best game with the club right :cool:

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also got covid midseason, right before he was on fire. So it could have went a lot better, for a team who doesn't generate many chances, in a league that's low scoring.

Great to end on such a high note. Hopefully he can finally get out of there. Don't think they can believe they're a top promotional contender anymore. Likely depends what his interest still is & if he can yield at least around a million Euro transfer fee.

I'd like to see one of the newly promoted Serie A sides pick him up. But an upper mid table side in Eredivisie, when he's had some success before, would also be favorable.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw somewhere that he was rated the 40th best Serie B player. I need to find where I read that. Anyways, that doesn’t scream Serie A to me. That’s not to say he couldn’t cut it. I just have that gut feeling little interest would come. I personally would love to see him in the 2nd Bundesliga. A Düsseldorf, HSV, St Pauli, or Heidenheim that could make a serious push next season. Based on what I’ve seen, he seems tailor made for Germany - a big man with nice balls skills, an eye for goal, and solid passing.

edcrocker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'd have to update the rankings after today and they're not factoring in his covid infection. He finished top 10 in non pk goals + assists still. That could get him in the bottom of Serie A, if teams are intrigued by his unique size & skill.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'd be happy with a better Serie B side with legit promotion asperations. Moving significantly up the table would be a good transfer.

12. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frosinone was very close to promotion last year. If I recall correctly (not likely) they made the promotion playoff and lost in the final game. Of course, given their drop down the table this year, I'd tend to agree with you that a move to a better Serie B club would be suitable.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We def should be. Most of our strikers are just 6 or 6'1. A 6'4 is incredibly useful.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Stop begging for compliments! ;)

In fact, you do remember correctly. They did make the playoffs and then lost in the final.

As for a better Serie B club, there aren't that many options out there, not over the last decade or so. This is the first season since 2014-15 that they weren't in the Serie B playoffs or Serie A itself. After this year's near-disaster, they'll need to strengthen the squad. If they do, why not stay and see if they do go up? His contract is up next June and, despite the club having a sorry time of it, with 11 goals and 6 assists in 33 games for a historically low-scoring team - almost half of their 38 goals - you'd have to say that he had a decent season.

There aren't that many better options in Serie B, certainly not of the kind that you'd agitate for a move to, and COVID will make even the better-resourced ones more careful about paying transfer fees. Seeing out his contract and looking for the best option in June would be my advice

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the overview. I hadn't realized that Frosinone have actually been that team I was suggesting he "move up" to.

All of this makes sense. Perhaps, then, a club from a 2nd tier league might be willing to pay for a transfer this summer--some mid-table Belgian club or back to the Netherlands. I have no clue what the finances of all of these clubs are looking like right now, but transfermarkt has him estimated at $1.87M (which seems absurd). All in all, I would think that you're right that he should run out his contract and see what he gets in a year. That would probably be the best for him.

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would hope if a bottom Serie A side offered they'd sell him. But maybe he'd have to be a plan b late in the window.

A lot of B clubs (i.e. Parma) would improve his chances at promotion and success more than Frosinone. If he had went to Bochum he'd be on his way to the BL.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Venezia would be fantastic for a move

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2368 m vann, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Would it? Striker is a lonely place for a service dependent striker on a bottom feeder Serie A club. Might be better off finding a Serie B promotion chaser. Just me thinking out loud…… but they have potential to be an historically bad Serie A team. They will have to splash some decent cash to even compete. And by the sound of it…… they are going the “cheap” route. With their American owner they have been linked to a slew of Yanks this summer from Durkin to Hadji Wright to Busio to Reggie Cannon and a few others that I am drawing a blank on. So really…. I don’t know how much stock I put in the Venezia is interested in _____ American.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Be a nice place to live, though...

20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not really. A great place to visit though.

21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get out of Serie B.

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumor is Vicenza, not Venezia.

justinkicks and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah, a case of Tomato-Potato, oopsie

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Seems to be a decent league for him and he's improving.

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this article, Red Star Belgrade have offered or have interest in him. There's something lost in translation, but I think they mean offer because Frosinone are discussing with him if he wants to move there.

They must have been bluffing that they are going to keep him. As they point out it's the last year of his deal.

BTW, if this went down, it would be ok for his club career, because Red Star have a good shot at being in UCL, but it'd be bad for us because he'd be a big threat to jump ship to the Serbian nat'l team.