Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...except when the Leap Year is divisible by 5.

The Irish Rover and sXeWesley repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    4 goals, 7 assists in 30 matches. 3rd most goals on the squad.

edcrocker repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Remember: Baroque is a European thing.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, don't know why he left the Eredivisie. Well I know he is probably getting paid more but still.

The style of Italian soccer kind of deflates a goal scorers stats if you aren't on a stacked team or aren't supremely talented at scoring goals.

5. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if you aren't good at scoring goals, Italy isn't the place for you as a ST?

The game in Serie B is more traditional Italian soccer compared to Serie A, so if Frosinone goes up, he could put up similar numbers to this year or maybe find a few extra. The game has changed in Serie A.

If you are good enough, you will get your chances in Serie A now days. Goals are slightly higher in Serie A compared to the PL this year.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    wasn't his club relegated? he only had 9/10 goals his season in the Eredivisie. I respect him for taking a risk

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you are probably right, I haven't really been keeping up with Serie A since ESPN took the games off of ESPN3.

usnroach repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    IMO, he's just not that good. Still better than Haji or Siebatcheu, but not made for any top league.

largegarlic repped this.
  9. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, the league has changed a lot since 2012ish. Heck it has changed a good amount since Mikey was playing with Chievo and Roma. I would recommend more people watch the league, it is no longer Catenaccio and all tactics. I would still say that tactics are important, but in more offensive ways compared to "how can we not allow 1 goal and get a point?!"

comoesa repped this.
  10. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    In the grand scheme of things? Probably not, bur he does have some qualities that are worth keeping an eye on.

From the very little ive seen from Nova this year he doesnt look out of place which is encouraging

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They made the playoffs. That is good.

They're where they are thanks to two solid attacking guys, Ciano (7G/2A) and Dionisi (10G/2A). Those two have worked their arse off to be up there in the playoff zone.

Then there's Paganini (an AM, 5/1) and Nova (the third forward, 4/4). So Nova is not out of place, but he could have done more. Regardless of the numbers, watching the games you notice he doesn't have enough participation in the build-up and does no defending, except for his helping in set pieces which is usually quite poor.

12. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Absolutely he needs to become more tactically aware or at the very least he needs to make the defenders work more. Maybe part of that is the change from playing mostly in Holland and then going to Italy who knows. But the season to me is one that is nice to build on

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i still feel he needs some callups and show what he can do. It's not as if we have any tall strikers. Jozy is only 6'1 same as Dempsey and McBride was 6'0. we need to see what a 6'4 battering ram can do.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, for the most part he stands there looking as if he were trying to remember whether he turned the stove off.

I don't think he's international caliber at this point. On the other hand, our striker situation is terrible.

15. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to provide a knee jerk roe Ly that McBride has to be 6-2 if not more but looked it up and sure enough he’s 6-0. Amazing he was so prolific with his head but wasn’t overly tall.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    surely, he can get it done in CONCACAF.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    surprising i agree especially as many mention how tall and powerful he was. Same for Alan Shearer who is 5'11 or 6'0 yet described as a "big man" or playing like one.

18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Shearer was a "big man" mainly because he was a tough guy though. McBride probably fits that MO as well. When you're tough, you don't need to be 6'5" to be seen as a "big man".

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's true but you wouldnt say Puyol was a big man despite playing tough.

Dough Boy repped this.
  20. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
  21. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Picks up an assist, however Benevento are 3-1 up

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2098 thedukeofsoccer, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    1286752766384320513 is not a valid tweet id

More of an assist man this season, mostly playing on the wing AFAIK. From my calculations, he's averaging .65 goals+assists per 90 (4 goals + 8 assists in 1940 per TM). Solid, especially considering league-style, if not playing world beaters.

I think he's capable of fitting in a lower to mid table Serie A side. But at this pt he'd probably need to get Frosinone promoted for it to happen. Don't think he'd be bought off this, but who knows.

24. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Probably would need another year with Frosinone before getting bought but Nesta is viewed as a solid up and coming coach and seems to like Nova which is good

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Even if he's only playing/scoring in Serie B, I'd take it. We don't have so many legit options at the time and he can help us from the perspective of a sub who can adjust our tactics.