Post-match: Front 6 Suggestion

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by eric515, Jun 5, 2008.

1. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When healthy, I think this should be our lineup

---------------------Altidore------------------------

Beasley----------------Adu-----------------Donovan

-----------------Edu---------Bradley----------------

I know, someone's going to rip on me for putting Bradley back in there. But - when Adu was on the field, MB and Edu were much more productive, and seemed more confident in playing farther up the field. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to trying one of our unused center backs in the role of destroyer (like Spector, again, when healthy).

This lineup even provides a guy like Beasley, who can get back and help cover in the defensive 1/3 with our DMs.

Nonetheless - in a match against an immensely talented Spanish defense today, Freddy Adu was the only one who showed no fear in going at them, and we need a player like that on the field. Once he was gone, the offense died.

You could vary this up as well, and put Donovan up top, and move someone else out to the right. A huge problem for us right now, though, is that we don't have a legitmate right winger. Dempsey is not the guy, as we know.

2. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I like that line-up a lot. Adu and Landycakes on the field at the same time would be nice to watch.

Bradley and Edu were good in the first half.

3. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------cooper-------altidore----------
    --Adu----------------------Donovan--
    ---------Feilhaber--Edu--------------

Now this is what I call a front six. a very dangerous front for coupled with feilhaber and edu controlling the midfield and creating. cooper and altidore are hitman finishers but they can also set each other up or create their own chance. donovan and adu have the ability to both score and create... plus they can keep possession and hold the ball.

4. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the look of that. Donovan has been very productive from that position in the past, so I don't have a huge problem with him playing out there. Dempsey just seems completely gassed to me at this point. Give him some time off and then see how he does.

Bradley should also get a game off, IMO. I think he is effective until he gets tired, then there is a major drop off. I would like to see Kljestan considered for some upcoming matches, not necessarily as a starter, but if as that first guy off the bench in those central positions.

5. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    -------------------GK----------------
    -----------------Back4---------------
    ------------------Edu----------------
    --------Kljestan------Feilhaber--------
    Adu------------------------Donovan(C)
    ----------------Altidore----------------

Adu and Donovan playing like Messi for Barcelona on their opposite sides, cutting in, running at people and combining just doing everything they can to be dangerous and create scoring chances. Altidore the lone striker with his size, skill and finishing ability. Feilhaber and Kljestan providing immediate pressure defensively while linking up, creating the attacks and play making through the middle penetrating through possession. Edu sitting in behind winning balls with his size, and strength but is also very technical and will be able to build the attack nicely and cover a lot of ground. Howard is the obvious choice in GK and plenty good enough, we would need more technical, cerebral CB's in my opinion (maybe like a Spector and Subotic if he chose the US would be a solid pairing) and very strong fullbacks. The way Pearce has been playing he could fill the LB spot, I am not sold anymore on Cherundalo though I think Clark could be a very good RB to fill the spot possibly.
    So I guess I am saying I would like to see this some time:
    --------------Howard-------------
    --------Subotic----Spector--------
    Clark------------------------Pearce
    ----------------Edu----------------
    --------Kljestan----Feilhaber--------
    Adu----------------------Donovan(C)
    ---------------Altidore---------------

6. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'd like to see for Argentina:

------------Howard----------
    --Dolo--Gooch----Boca--Pearce-
    --------Clark------Edu---------
    ---Dempsey---Adu---LD--------
    -----------Altidore-----------

Bench: Guzan, Hejduk, Orozco, Parkhurst, Bradley, Beasley, Kljestan, Rogers, Cooper, EJ

If LD can't go throw DMB in there, but I'm taking Dempsey over Beasley as a starter because with Adu and Donovan already on the field Dempsey's physical presence will be useful.

7. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey was no good in this match. Not saying he is a bad player, but he clearly needs a break. I wish he and Baby Bradley would both sit the next one out, but I doubt it happens.

8. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Everybody who puts Donovan on the wing should be shot down as a traitor.

9. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was trying to figure out a better way of doing it...and maybe Adu would be more suited to be out wide than Donovan. Still...I think it's obvious with our lack of scoring punch...when we're playing the big boys, we need them both out there.

What about:

---------------Altidore-------------

---------------Donovan------------

Beasley-------------------------Adu

------------Edu------Bradley--------

10. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Donovan made his name on the wing in 2002 and has played there plenty on all levels.

11. zico82

zico82 New Member

May 27, 2006
    I can live with that. Looks good. Even with Bradley back there playing D-mid (until he gets tired). Wouldn't mind seeing Lewis out on the left, but Beasley hasn't looked bad lately.

The best part is No Dempsey in midfield. As I've said before, the guy doesn't have the tools to play that position. He's the world's slowest outside mid, can't beat anyone and he can't cross the ball. What's the point????? Completely ineffective against ENG and ESP. Can't remember a single international game where he's impressed, and that includes WC06. Maybe he does well against the same type of teams EJ does well against.

So, yeah!!! I like that lineup a lot.
    Good job.

12. ewheatley

ewheatley Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is the lineup come Sunday night, I will be a very happy, and excited fan!

13. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I'm okay with seeing Bradley with LD & Adu on the field with him. But please, let's no see Dempsey or even Beasley on Sunday.

14. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beasley is a good player, he just isn't fit right now because he had the long injury layoff. He will be an important player for us in the WC Qualifiers, so he needs to play in these friendlies to build some stamina.

15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody who puts Adu on the wing should be shot down as a traitor.

;)

Joking aside, this points out an interesting dilemma, in that both Donovan and Adu are best suited as the second striker / withdrawn forward / attacking midfielder role. Everyone wants to get them on the field together at the same time, but how?

In Bradley's current dual CM's version of the 4-4-2, you cannot have both Donovan and Adu as second strikers. Pick one for second striker and the other would have to move to wing-midfield. The most logical way in Bradley's 4-4-2 is for Adu to play second striker and Donovan to play left or right midfield (but with the freedom to slide inside at times). The best example is when Donovan played left midfield quite well and dynamically against Poland. The problem with that game was EJ and Ching as the 2 strikers, rather than the ideal pair of Adu and Altidore.

Alternatively, you play different formations like the trendy 4-2-3-1, the 4-3-2-1 (xmas tree), 4-1-4-1, a 4-4-2 diamond midfield, or a 3-5-2. These options allow both Adu and Donovan to play the second striker and/or attacking midfield roles at the same time.

My personal preference for the 2010 Cup team would look like this, assuming the following players all continue to develop and improve at current trends:

4-1-4-1

----------Back Four-----------

-------------Edu--------------

Donovan--Bradley--Adu---Beasley

------------Altidore------------

Key bench subs: Dempsey, Rogers, Feilhaber, Clark, Cooper, Johnson.

16. chucknyce21

chucknyce21 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't agree more I am starting to think Clint is better suited for the super sub role b/c he seems to get lazy when he starts. Give him a kick in the a**. Also I wouldn't mind seeing two forwards again and possibly dropping Bradley and going w/ the diamond midfield w/ Cooper and Jozy up top.

17. edotime

edotime New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Im not sure if plyaing Jozy up front by himself is the best idea, as it didnt work out to well for him during the US- U23's olympic qulifying. I understand that he will be well supported by an uncoming Donavan and a new and improved Adu, but I still think its to much responsibility on the yougster (at least at this point). This is what I propose:

--Dempsey------Altidore----
    ---------Adu--------------
    Beasly----------------------Landon
    ------Rico Clark/Bradley/Edu---------

This is a offensive minded line-up, but given our performance in Europe, we need people who are willing to go forward and create. Dempsey will not have to support on defense as much, thus allowing him to go forward and hopefully be alittle more active on the offensive side. Adu/Landon/Beasly aren't afraid to take on anyone, and will provide some great speed on all 1/3's of the field.

18. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one I've kind of been toying with...because I really think it would give alot of teams fit if we did this:

----------Altidore------------

------Adu---------Donovan---

-Lewis----Bradley------Beasley-

It's not perfect, only because Beaz isn't a true RM, and Lewis is getting older. I just wish we had a true RM...maybe Zizzo? Maybe we go 4-3-3?

Adu----------Altidore--------Donovan

Feilhaber-------Edu-----------Bradley

Thoughts?

19. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the 4-2-3-1. In this, give the 3 full freedom to move and support each other. Therefore the 3 must all be creative players who can also attack. Dempsey usually fits that bill well, but I believe he really needs to rest right now. Therefore we need someone else to step in for him.

The other part I don't like in your line-up is Clark. He's not playing well right now. I'd like to see how Szetela could do there though.

The only reason that Donovan is looking so great as a foward with LAG is because of Beckham's service. He wouldn't get that service up top with the US. Also, I don't see anyone being a part of the 3 in the 4-2-3-1 as a winger. In that formation, the 2 wing defenders should be providing the width, while the 3 move according to the space on the field -- usually more inside.

You 4-3-3 isn't a bad idea. It's almost xmas tree-esc though:
    ------------Altidore------------
    ------Adu-----------Donovan--
    Feilhaber------Edu------Bradley

It might work, so it's worth a try. The xmas tree has failed in the past, but it didn't involve the players you have listed.

20. sc123

sc123 Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Isn't Benny Injured?

21. KoreAmBear

KoreAmBear New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Honolulu
    Play guys with high football IQs

I like Feilhaber and Klejstan in there. We need guys with high football IQ: Adu, Feilhaber, Klejstan, Donovan -- these guys come to mind as having the highest football IQ in the Nats pool.

22. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Play guys with high football IQs

yeah plus they have some of the best touch in our pool so we can knock it around and keep possession.

23. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Play guys with high football IQs

Klejstan does not belong in this list. He's a one way player who continually is asked to do more than he's capable of. Yes, he has a good shot and has showed the ability to take advantage of weak defensive marking, but he struggles passing, holding possession, reading the game off the ball and against tough marking.

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on getting your Nation's best all around soccer minded guys together cuz its seeing that type of unit come together that I would rather go down losing with to England or Argentina over the rehased crap BB serves up. Play crafty and hard nosed with a big target man. That is U.S. ball.

--------------Timmy

---'Dolo----Pablo---Boca---Spector

---------------Edu

---Donovan----Duece----Freddy

-----------Jozy-----Cooper

As much as it pains me to list a Dallas player, Cooper is exactly the big man with solid feet our style of play demands to open up the runs made by Jozy, Freddy, Lando and Duece. Not to mention that our ariel game is what sets us apart from the rest of the Americas. It is what made McHead so impactful and vital to linking up the guys around him during his McBride years of '98-'06. Just ask Portugal.

25. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a good front six. Deuce needs to collect himself a little but, but i think he would be good in that attacking/center midfield role.