From Uruguay to Norway

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Odemwingie, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Odemwingie

Odemwingie New Member

Apr 22, 2004
  2. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    They probably don't have as good connections to South-America as Rosenborg has. Terje Liverød, who is a scout for Rosenborg, is a big name down there.

Champions League-play is probably also some of the reason why international stars wants to go to Rosenborg.

3. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    ive always found that interesting.

norway, to me, seems much less soccer mad than sweden does, yet the norwegian teams seem to enjoy more success.

conversley, you see more talent coming out of the allsvenskan (i.e Källström, Isaksson, Ibrahimovic, ect) than you do the tippeligan.

4. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    First off, the Norwegian league draws more spectators than the Swedish league (ref: link). It basically says the Norwegian league draws more spectators.

Secondly, I can come up with a bunch of names like Grindheim, Hæstad, M. Johnsen, Fredheim Holm, Gashi, Soma, Riise (both), Carew, etc etc etc, names that have no problems with competing with the talents coming out of Sweden.

But I'm just wondering, why are you making this into a contest?

5. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    lol, im sorry, i wasnt trying to be confrontational at all.

it was just my observation. and yeah, i guess i glazed over a lot of good norwegian players (none really came to mind, but youre right).

as for the attendance, well, i guess my time spent in sweden mostly being in stockholm, and in norway, sandnes, says a lot. it just appeared to me that it was more of an event in stockholm and people around stavanger were more apathetic about it. thats not something that i can back up with fact or anything, just an observation.

maybe its just cause im more familiar with the allsvenskan, so its kinda like a bias, in a way (but as i said, i wasnt meaning to be confrontational or competitive, just observing)

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I cant speak for Brøndby, but the FCK management have clearly said that they dont want to sign players if they dont speak English or atlest understand a Scandinavian language... and then they are also worried about the cultural difference...

Instead FCK have a youth Academy in South Africa, with some of the biggest talents, who despite their very young age between 14 and 19 are playing league soccer among adults at 2nd or 3rd level in South Africa...