From the Round of 16 to the Title

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Iranian Monitor, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #201 Iranian Monitor, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    Portugal was not 1st tier in 2000. In 2000, Portugal took the first step to become 1st tier, when it combined its talent with a very good showing in Euro 2000. Still, it is debateable whether Portugal was 1st tier when S.Korea beat Portugal in Wc2002? At the time of Wc2006, however, when Portugal beat Iran, Portugal was a 1st tier UEFA side in my book because (a) it would go on to finish as a semifinalist in that same World Cup; (b) it had already finished among the top 4 in Europe twice in a row in Euro 2000 and 2004; and (c) because it had the stars and talent to merit a high place among European teams.

Belgium right now is perhaps where Portugal was at the time of Euro 2000. It needs to now prove that its talent can give it the requisite results to be considered at all among the first tier.

2. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Okay fair enough, I view Belgium the same way, I think the lack of experience will catchup to them much like Portugal of 2002. I just think placing teams in tiers can be very tricky. If both Russia and Slovenia are considered tier 2, I can tell you there is a big difference between them. I get what your saying overall, but with so many variables this can never move past hypothesis into theory.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't think Slovenia is 2nd tier and don't have them as such either. I rate Slovenia like I rate Slovakia: 3rd tier. But I concede some of this starts to require somewhat subjective judgment calls and not everyone will agree.

4. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, not to beat a dead horse, but there are just so few recent competitive matches against 2nd tiers it's hard to believe the results show anything meaningful at all. Japan has played five matches against 2nd tiers (three of them 12 years ago at home at WC 2002), South Korea has played four (2 of them 12 years ago at home at WC 2002), and Iran two (both 12 years ago). So out of the 11 competitive matches, 7 were over 10 years ago. All you have since then is Japan's draw with Croatia in 2006, South Korea's loss to Switzerland in 2006 (you listed that as a draw, BTW), and the Japan and ROK wins in 2010. Really, those two 2010 wins are the "foundation" for this entire house of cards of yours.

You also don't include the Saudi Arabia, China and North Korea results. Yes, I know they didn't qualify this time, but they did during your selected time frame, and were apparently the best AFC had to offer for their World Cup years. There is no justification for excluding them that I can see, other than their poor results undermine the argument you're trying to make.

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Saudi Arabia, as pathetic as they have been outside of the AFC ever since their Wc94 run, were legitimately a 1st tier AFC team. N.Korea was ranked 16th in the AFC when it qualified to the World Cup and its qualification was simply a fluke. China is also outside the 1st tier in the AFC and its qualification in 2002 was basically gifted to them by being placed in a group without any of the top teams in Asia.

6. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Sample size is one of those devily little buggers that renders virtually any cross confederation analysis meaningless. There simply aren't anywhere near enough games.

The best you can do is note changing patterns, like Mexico suddenly producing quality results every single cup starting in '86, or S. Korea and Japan starting in '02, or USA starting in '94, and yet still, the sample size is way too small.

I do think its reasonable, however, to argue that the power of Europe's second tier, does not appear to be as widely and deeply ensconced over the rest of the world (minus Conmebol), as it once did. The relative scale of that change is impossilbe to reliably evaluate with so few cups, and disagreement over the value of competitions like the olympics and the youth world cups.

We'll see how things go this time around, a third straight tourney with a dip in UEFA performance? or something more like '06? I suspect we'll see a stronger UEFA performance, but Conmebol reigning supreme. Too many of the strongest world teams have miserable draws (Ghana, USA), or difficult draws for the knockout rounds (Ghana, USA, Mexico) etc (could write more but the bells gonna ring).

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I see we are going back to step 1 again, discouting the large number of games (friendlies) and forcing the focus entirely on a few competitive matches! The fact is that there are 130 matches played between Japan, S.Korea, Iran and UEFA teams just since 1999, even if most are friendlies. I have looked at those results carefully. The overall percentages and patterns are remarakable in their consistency. Too remarkable to be entirely coincidental.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    So we won't go in circles, lets just give our predictions as for the AFC teams against their UEFA opponents and then see who was closer to the truth?

There will be 6 matches in the group stage between AFC and UEFA teams.

I predict Australia will lose both of its games to its UEFA counterparts, both UEFA teams being 1st tier sides (Spain and Holland).

I predict Iran will beat Bosnia and Japan will beat Greece.

South Korea against Russia and Belgium will be close. Almost too close to call. I have predicted S.Korea to draw Belgium but lose to Russia. But S.Korea is capable of beating both of them or losing to both.

9. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    2009 Kirin Cup tie 'Japan - Belgium' ... Belgium called upon players that would never be considered in competitive matches. In the first XI only Vermaelen & Alderweireld could be considered ... still Vermaelen (in his early 20s and still playing in the Dutch league, not Arsenal) and Alderweireld (a teenage academy player, debutant for NT and club). Say what you like ... the Kirin Cup line-up wasn't exactly Belgium's best (even 2nd & 3rd stringers declined while nobody was motivated).

The XI that reached the semi-finals at the Olympics 1 year earlier consisted of 8-9 players that most likely will feature in the Brazil2014 squad ... the likes of Kompany, Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Dembele, Fellaini, Mirallas, et al. ... unlike in the Kirin Cup, the players wanted to go to the Olympics and win matches. Imho you need to look at qualitative analysis methods ... at least to explain why teams are getting good/bad results.

10. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I don't think anyone (except you) ever left step 1, because no reason has been established to do so. Your initial idea to examine if there is a correlation between friendly results and competitive results was an interesting one, but you abandoned that for this mismash of friendlys and World Cup results, 2nd tier results, third tier results, inclusion of some AFC teams, exclusion of others, that your model has ended up looking like the cyber equivalent of swiss cheese.:(

11. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Line ups don't make a team 1st-tier... results do.

12. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That is a bold prediction!o_Oo_Oo_O (/sarc off /pun intended)

13. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In other words: we don't get that model at all! :) And thus it is useless.

14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    #214 grandinquisitor28, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

I think they could trip up slightly early (I rate them as a top 10 side, but think they'll struggle to get past the R16's because of the group pairing with G), but with their group draw, I don't see how its possible they fail to advance from the group. Russia doesn't scare anyone, they aren't bad, but they aren't consistent, and they aren't anything special. South Korea's solid, and usually maxes out potential in tourney's but it sounds like this is a weak version for them, and lastly Algeria, literally the best possible scenario out of the CAF/Conmebol+1 draw. They would have to be just unbelievably bad to crash out early against those foes. At bare minimum they should be able to pull out at least 4-5 points and a quality GD that should trump at least Algeria's and South Korea's, more likely is a 6, 7 or 9 point pull (I'm picturing 7 or 9, and would bet on 9).

That R16 match could be trouble though, Portugal, or Ghana most likely, both would be extremely difficult outs, Germany possibly but highly unlikely (Germany almost never fumbles a first place group finish away), the USA looked totally out of sorts against them in friendlies at home, not exactly a good sign though I don't take friendlies all that seriously (still, getting rolled 4-1, until a late penalty gave the scoreline a slightly less embarrasing look, suggests a complete and thorough arse kicking would be in the offing if the US took second and Belgium first in June), with Argentina in the quarterfinals, I would assumed they'd be home at that point if they survive the R16's.

So yes, in a sense I also see Belgium failing to live up to the rep at the tourney, but it's got a lot more to do with the unbelievable difficulty of getting to the semi's considering their path, the only more difficult path outside of group play for a team is probably if your runner up in either group A or B or G.

15. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    friendlies are utterly b.s. that's why.

For gosh sakes, if I believe friendlies are relevant at all, I should assume the US is going to beat the piss out of Germany in June in that final group game, especially if they are resting carded players, and our only likely carded players are two left feet having hacks that we wouldn't miss anyway. We did jump out to a 4-1 lead after all.

Why can't we beat Portugal? We did before. We beat Italy in Italy in '12, we drew Russia in Russia in '12, we beat Bosnia in Bosnia in '13, Portugal shouldn't be too much trouble right.

Except of course all those results don't mean squat.

Germany is likely to beat us handily, or simply salt away a 1-0 lead. Ditto Portugal.

If sample size is a problem, and it fundamentally is, the fact that friendlies are in any way a part of any of this is just patently ridiculous.

Germany brought a bunch of B and C siders last summer, only a handful of players we might see. Ghana doesn't care about friendlies and so generates bizarre results. Portugal doesn't even care about qualifiers half the time because they're so sure of themselves.

The friendly thing is irrelevant, and there's nothing remotely remarkable about it.

Some things you just can't reliably argue about statistically and one of them is cross confederation comparisons.

We can do it with club teams, but with international sides there's nowhere near as reliable a means of sampling.

Want the penultimate example?

May 2012: USA 5 Scotland 1

November 2013: Scotland 0 USA 0

In one game the US played Scotland off the field, and made them look like a collection of 3rd graders who thought they were showing up to play rugby instead. In the latter match, it was a stultifying, grind fest, devoid of creative play (our best playmaking midfielders were all unavailable), and featuring a Scottish team that wasn't going to embarrass themselves at home. Their attitude 18 months earlier? They were on holiday, and just had to keep a window open for training and a game late one night.

Friendlies are meaningless in terms of results.

There value is inherently in testing out players in new formations or positions, blooding new players, testing out differing approaches, and ramping up for major tournaments by getting a relatively serious scrimmage.

They really should be called scrimmages instead at this point but I guess it's difficult to charge a small fortune for a glorified scrimmage.

16. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes sir, permission to use the wash-room captain?

17. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree with you, the group and path a team is placed in, is without a doubt the biggest challenge for most every team. I think to over come that you need talent, which they clearly have, and experience, which is what this team is lacking, average age I believe is 25.5 and more so the fact this is their first major tourney.

That is why I believe the Belgium for euro 16 will be deadly.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There are individual friendlies that mean more and others that mean much less. In any case, the way I see things, no individual friendly (or even competitive match) by itself means much of anything.

On the other hand, the overall results obtained, including in friendlies, do paint a more or less reliable picture of where a team rates in football.

I should mention that in a few days Iran will have a couple of friendlies and very likely won't have any of its main players in those games. Naturally, while the result and performance nonetheless still will say something about out football in a more general sense, they won't say as much individually about the different group of players together as a team that Iran will show in Brazil. That is also the case for many of the friendlies at issue in these stats, although I should mention that Iran's friendlies against UEFA 2nd tier sides I mentioned -- Russia (2011), Bosnia (2009), Croatia (2006), Austria (2000), and Denmark (1999) -- all happened to involve full squad or very close to it. The only exception is our friendly win over the Ukraine in Kiev, where Ukraine had a few of their then top players like Rebrov but was missing a good many other first choice players including Shevshenko.

19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There is reason and its shown in the stats I mentioned which produce some consistencies across the board which wouldn't occur if we were talking about random things. But the rigorous test requires an analysis of the kind I discussed before and I can't be expected to do all the work! And I haven't seen anyone else do it. I am willing to do my part if the task is divided here between several posters who are willing to each take up the job and analyze the data for 1-2 teams in a random selection of teams ranging from the best ones to the weaker ones.

Btw, I did look at the issue when it came to the top teams (Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina) in the parameters I had mentioned (at least 10 friendly and 10 competitive match over 2 years, going up to 4 years in each instance within the same World Cup cycle to compare and cross reference between friendly and competitive game results). The correlation was lacking for Germany but it seemed to hold for the others.

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Being unwilling to make a "bold" prediction itself is important part of the picture that emerges from the analysis when you don't see a clear cut picture that paints one side as favored over the other. There are instances where its too close to call.

Looking at past results, a 1st tier AFC team should be favored against a 2nd tier UEFA side like Belgium or Russia. However, the problem is that while S.Korea is very highly regarded, and I do think they are much better than their recent results, they do have poor results going into the World Cup. Their 2:0 win over Greece the other day notwithstanding. The fact is that of the last 9 matches by S.Korea against UEFA sides since Wc2010, they have lost 55% of them (losses to Belarus, Serbia, Spain, Croatia, Russia) even if they managed to beat Greece and Switzerland and tied Poland and Turkey. Putting that alongside S.Korea's more recent results in the AFC where they haven't done all that well, and I am not going to bet on S.Korea. I would, however, bet on Japan against both Russia and Belgium if they were in the same group.

P.S.
    I noticed my stats on S.Korea for some reason didn't include their 2013 friendly win over Switzerland. That slightly changes their overall percentages. I will need to fix that.

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yes and No. See my response to Blondo and my other messages with the applicable analysis based on facts not mere impressions. In this regard, overall results matter and are a predictor of sorts, while individual results (especially but not exclusively individual friendly results) do not.

22. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Are you predicting that Belgium won't survive the group stage? This thread is called 'From the Round of 16 to the Title' ... I'm unsure what all the group matches have to do with it. Imho Belgium is expected to reach the R16 and anything less is a failed campaign. From R16 it will be a rough path ... most likely it ends either in the R16 or the QFs.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Everyone has given their predictions already and they can update them. I have predicted Belgium to advance from the group as well. But the conversation turned into a couple of other issues. One, which influences the picks for the R16 and is related in that sense, is focused on how the 2nd tier UEFA sides can be expected to do against the 4 AFC teams? The other is if there is any correlation between friendly results and competitive results? This issue is also significant as it influences how we pick teams to make the R16. Indeed, while I am being portrayed here as someone who is promoting friendly results, what I am actually promoting is judging teams by their overall results (all of them) not any particular results. The fact is the very same people who make fun of friendlies are often the first ones to use them to ridicule the chances of teams they don't fancy when isolated friendlies happen to support their (mis) conceptions and biases!

24. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I'll be happy to do all 8 teams in two of the Brazil groups if we can come up with a model that makes sense. However, I'm not sure we can overcome the fact that there are rarely enough competitive matches in a two or even four year cycle to provide enough results to compare with the results in the friendlys. And even if there are, how do we quantify it?

25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The sample size issue is significant, but we have to do the best we can. While, when it comes to individual teams and the correlations at issue here (as opposed to broader confederation strength issue I was addressing in the AFC v UEFA issue), I like to focus mostly on the 4 year World Cup cycle, if you can't get 10 results in that cycle, you might go back further. Just make a note that is what you did.

To do this for 8 teams will take some time, but if you are going to do it, just let me know which groups you have in mind in advance? As I have many of the results already, if I am going to do it for 8 teams, I prefer to do this for groups F (Iran's group) and H (S.Korea's group).

As for how you quantify it? I think the best way to do it is to show the results as follows: 1) Overall Results (W-D-L); (2) Results against Category 1 teams (W-D-L); (3) Results Against Category 2 teams; (3) etc. The 7 categories would be as follows using ELO points for each team:

Category 1: Results against teams whose ELO points are above 2000.
    Category 2: Results against teams whose ELO points are between 1900-2000
    Category 3: Results against teams whose ELO points are between 1800-1900
    Category 4: Results against teams whose ELO points are beween 1700-1800.
    Category 5: Results against teams whose ELO points are between 1600-1700.
    Category 6: Results against teams with ELO points between 1400-1600.
    Category 7: Results against teams with ELO points under 1400 (below Cuba).