Friendly on September 2, 2011 (Poland)

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team: News, Analysis & History' started by Narc83, Aug 21, 2011.

1. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In go win

2. Manolo Rodriguez

Jul 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    In what sense is a discussion in news & analysis about the Mexico vs Poland friendly supposed to be different from a discussion in the general national team forum?

3. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    N&A threads are technically held to a higher standard than the general forum threads.

That said, it takes a village (mods, posters, lurkers) to accomplish this. Reporting unseemly posts helps the mods keep it cleaner.

4. El Mariachi

El Mariachi Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Más Allá
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  5. Tello

Tello BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  6. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    Initial impression of the game is that I'm going to die of boredom if Sinha continues getting the go ahead. I can't believe that sinha is ahead of gio in the depth chart, the gold cup might have looked differently if sinha had been available.

Poland was a completely wasted friendly, It's amazing that Poland actually bunkers at home. Its surprisng seeing a half empty stadium, they need to learn how to come out and support their national team.

Back to the game, Since Sinha has nabbed the starting spot the team has looked disjointed, slow, and toothless. From what i'm seeing if Chepo continues to call up Sinha, he is going to lose the squad. My opinion is that we are see a slow motion train wreck with chepo's inability to control his sinha nepotism.

Juarez has looked horrible these last couple of games. He is so out of shape that he has trouble defending and most importantly cannot adequtely go forward. He needs playing time and until he is fully fit he should not be getting the start.

Salcido looked better in this game but its obvious that teams are going to continue attacking his side due to his inability to recover from his attacking runs. From the slight improvement of his play its seems that he was playing injured throughtout the gold cup and Chepo should not have started him if he is not fully fit.

Exactly how does Chepo justify starting Sinha ahead of Gio? Sinha is too slow and has not idea how to play "quickly" his play is slowing down our attack and allowing the opposing teams to recover. It seems that the days of the "10" are over and teams have to play attacking players that move the ball quickly before opposing teams reset their bunkers.

The Mexican defense keeps getting caught flatfooted and i hope that this is corrected as quickly as possible

The biggest weakness that i'm seeing ist that we are playing two attacking fullbacks that are not fully fit and as such are not capable of defending and bombing forward at the same time. As a team we are heavily dependent on overlapping runs from the fullback and this failure to remove unfit players is harming our attack.

1 person likes this.
  7. -WiLL-

-WiLL- Member

Jun 23, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Good analysis. I agree with you about Salcido and Juarez, they're not as bad as everyone has been saying, Salcido looked better today then in the Gold Cup it's just they lack the fitness to get back or to go forward well. To me it looked like Juarez and Barrera were linking up ok in the first half, but not in the second half.

I barely saw Sinha do anything apart from lose the ball, Gio did loads more in his time on the pitch. We also definitely miss Marquez, why was he not playing? Perhaps we could play Marquez and Molina or Marquez and Zavala as the DMs? I don't think Jona's defensive enough to play in one of those positions.

1 person likes this.
  8. -WiLL-

-WiLL- Member

Jun 23, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Are you serious? the Mexico game just finished and you bring up this stupid Enriquez argument again, in this thread, again. Let it go, I don't even know what you're arguing about anymore. You need to watch him in more games. The Copa America was a joke, no one looked good. Enriquez was a beast in the u-20 WC which you missed. ok Can we end it now?

9. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Sorry for late response but this post was a nice laugh (but nice effort nevertheless). As I'm probably only Polish active member of BS family, I'll correct few things.
    Of course I didn't know who that mister Prześniewski is until I read the rest of the post :D Those words are like no one in Poland knows that Mexicans can kick the ball and they're doing it pretty good. And it's always good to respect the opponent and say only good things about future rivals (especially when you have an all night free party after the game). Never read that earlier but those were probably words in defense of PZPN (Polish FA) about choice of friendly opponent. Literally, why Polish NT wasn't playing against European team in the advent of Euro next year where we won't be facing the teams from across the Atlantic?
    You could hardly say that about an European team which in the latest years failed only to qualify for 2010 WC. With 4 players of the squad playing for the champions of 2 of the 5 strongest leagues in the world. So it's still better after all.
    Don't use Google translate if You could only ask. There isn't much more than it was in the first article (in English) that You used. It says about the second leg will be played until the end of December 2014 (yes, not IN December). For the reason I mentioned above (the pressure on playing European NT) they asked Swiss and Welsh FA's about friendlies (they had a free date at 2nd September) but they were turned down (PROBABLY because they're playing in qualifications for next years Euro later and couldn't provide the strongest squads in the game).
    Don't know if that's true because after all Polish NT wasn't 100% in this game. And they were talking about that few days before the game that they won't go all out as we play German NT later (and guess why it's valued higher here).
    Yes, it seems like that's the answer for empty seats tonight (sometimes Legia gathers bigger crowds on this stadium). Just realise that people in Poland usualy earn around 1500 PLN which means alot for tickets if you want to go with your family to the stadium (where you'll need to spent even more cash on food etc). It's still better for many people to buy bread rather than watch Chicharito live :)

1 person likes this.
  10. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So what was your overall view on the play of your side?

11. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    You know, I expected a beating, like 3 or 4 to 0. The difference in class was clearly visable on the pitch and if your NT could speed the things up, play with more engagement, aggressiveness in the interception it would be all over for us. On that pace it wasn't that bad from our side especially in the opening 30 minutes. It all crumbled in the last minutes of the game where the quality of both teams more like the real one. It's always hard to value a team from a friendly. Yes, we won against Italy prior to WC in 2006 and look how it all ended. You proved your class in the last WC and in the Gold Cup. The real test for our NT will come in the summer of 2012. Poland haven't played for points scince the fall of 2009... So, all in all, the result was better than actual play I think. To tell the truth, I expected more from Mexico ;) Don't expect the Polish NT to dictate the conditions on the pitch, it's not early 80's and if you don't want to lose money don't bet on Polish NT during Euro (unfortunately for me and all Polish).

1 person likes this.
  12. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Well since most of our players arent fully match fit, it was to be expected.Carry on number 36.

13. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

14. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    Its called boredom and since poland-mexico is not a sexy friendly finding any links to this friendly was pretty much impossible. If you could post some after game articles from the polish view it would be much appreciated.

I still don't know who he is, Google tranlate told me he was the coach or the head of the polish federation.

Google Translate is actually quite good or at the very least gives you a rough idea of what all those Consonants strung together mean. Just to let you know Polish is a terrifying language, all consonants and no vowels. Google translate is like a nite-light that little kids use when they are afraid of the dark.

It would have been a waste of money, this friendly was lame. I was bored out of my mind the whole game. Mexico absolutely sucked, we have no offensive game since Gio's been benched in favor of Sinha.

Was this a full strength Poland or more of a watered down version? Does Poland normally bunker at home against visiting teams?

Mexico has been stinking up the joint post gold cup. For whatever reason the coach has his favorites and is calling them up and starting some of them instead of the more talented and established stars like Gio, Ochoa, Vela ,etc.

So i take it this was the main polish team? Watching this game was rough and if this is your main team i feel for you.

My impression of the Polish team is that you guys are not very good. Your goalkeeping and that one forward were the only impressive players that i saw on the field.

The rest of the Polish team was disappointing. The Polish defense looked awful and teams with strong offenses will easily put up 3-6 goals on them if they play them same way they did today.

15. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    lol, i thought i was being generous. Don't be so sensitive its not like Poland is better than Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Paragauay, or any of the other team that we normally play.

Its not a knock on Poland, the simple fact is that you're not a glamourous team or any better than the teams that we play year after year. I think we have played Ecuador, Colombia, and Venezuela 3-4 times since 2010 and boredom has set in.

Lol, this game was a snooze fest and both teams were awful.

blah, the Mexican defense has been giving up cheap goals for a while now. Very nice finish from your forward but other than that horrible finish by that other polish player you guys were toothless.

2005 i think, I don't remember that game.

I disagree we have much better players but at the moment our team is playing horribly.

From the Americas we are normally around the third best team just below the Argies and Brazilians. Its mostly due us having one of the larger populations/economies in the region so its not a knock on the rest of the latin american countries

16. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    I still appreciate your efforts. I'm not a sports writer so I don't have an access to e-papers so I'll use this site as a reference and translate the main parts of articles from the biggest Polish newspapers.

Rzeczpospolita: We managed not to lose
    In the Friday's evening we've seen Polish team playing against the team which was much better organised, which in 12 of the last games won 9 and drawed 3 of them. The Franciszek Smuda's team managed no to lose against this kind of opponent despite being one man down in the last 20 minutes (...). The Polish coach didn't put the best squad on the field. Few changes were forced because of injuries. On the right side of defence Wasilewski nicely replaced Piszczek [best Bundesliga RB, now disqualified because of corruption], Tytoń couldn't do much when Hernandez scored, maybe Paweł Brożek got some self-confidence [from this game]. Dudka showed that Polanski shouldn't be an obvious starter over him. As defensive midfielder he impressed with agressive play in interception and easily opereted with the ball. Called by the supporters Małecki showed that he's not in best disposition.

Przegląd Sportowy: A draw which gives a hope
    Few second choice players were fielded yesterday and they shouldn't be ashamed. But it was also far from delightful. Smuda rarely decides to change his strategy. In Friday he changed it. It was more because of many player's injuries [rather than Smuda's way of coaching]. Backups who got a chance (Tytoń, Wasilewski, Matuszczyk, Brożek), maybe won't thrill the crowds in a few months, but they showed that they won't disappoint at least.
    The defensive line is a problem for Smuda since he started working with the team. The level of that formation is on the same, weak level as it was 1,5 years ago. We're left with naive faith in Perquis who watched yesterday game from the bench. It must be noted that Głowacki didn't play badly.

Gazeta Wyborcza: Two seized the opportunity
    The 20th team of FIFA Ranking played on 100% only in the first minutes of the game. At this point midfielders and forwards played agressively after losing the ball and Polish team had problems to get their play started. Later on Mexicans decided only to spurt from time to time. Even the goal was after not putting too much effort into it. (...) Manchester United's forward didn't even sweat in Friday.

Weszło.pl [probably the most popular Polish website writing about football]: Fortunately it was only friendly
    On TV screen it must have looked differently from what we saw on the stadium because some of you write that you liked this game. Well, we feel sorry for you, or maybe... we envy your's approach to life. Today's game was a clash between the team which can play football (it was Mexico obviously) and a team which would like to play this kind of football. It ended in a friendly draw but if that would a game for points it wouldn't be so good. Our rivals were doing everything easily, sometimes it looked like a play between cat and mouse. If they [Mexicans] would put the greed for victory at all cost on the pitch, which is characteristic for seariuos matchups, we wouldn't have anything to look for [on the pitch].

That's what was written about the game in Poland. As you can see it's pretty similar to your points about Polish NT. We're not world-beaters and we are well aware about our weaknesses. Especially defense line which crumbling I always fear during the NT games. 10 years ago it was the strongest point of Polish football, now it's the weakest (aside from Piszczek on the right side). And not much potential in the front lines. Okay, Lewandowski can from to time win or draw a game by his talent but there's not much real quality upfront. Maybe Błaszczykowski can play world class from to time too. You've got problem with a coach who don't like some players on the pitch and we don't have even players so we have to search for them in Germany (Polanski, Boenisch) or France (Obraniak, Perquis). That's the why I consider yours as a level above our squad.
    Oh, I heard Polish is difficult. Maybe that's the reason for learning how to use it in the first six classes? It might be complicated, even for adults, and many don't learn how use it correctly throught their lives.
    Yes, that was in 2005. Paweł Brożek scored his first goal for NT against Mexico in that Chicago game. Now he scored against you one more time :)

17. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_i9gdBKY74"]2005 (April 27) Mexico 1-Poland 1 (Friendly).mpg - YouTube[/ame]
    Chich's goal looked like Brozek's goal from 2005! :eek:

18. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lulz, Zinha played in both. :D

19. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Not sure why you would expect a beating like 3-4 to Zero from Mexico??? That's a bit harsh, we are not speaking about Holland or Spain, this is Mexico a good team but within reach, especially if played in Poland. Yes, they have better individual players (the skill level is obvious) but they have weak areas like tactics and organization of their game for example. I have to say that Poland is still good enough to expect at least a tie at home against Mexico.....:cool:

20. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Mexico has has few really good individual players (for example, G.Dos Santos and J. Hernandez), but as a unit it often lacks balance and organization. This is very evident in WC's and it was also evident in the Poland game.

I think as a result of this, Mexico is Medium (maybe at best just above medium) and therefore, Poland should not expect to get 3-4 to Zero from it..... It should expect an open result and a win or tie at home in Warsaw.:cool:

21. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    thank you for your input

i think the reason why our team couldn't speed things up is because we had a dinosaur controlling our mid - Sinha

it was a pretty even game for the most part though. if Poland could capitalize more on their chances, then they should be fine. i'm sure they'll put up a good fight in the Euro Cup.

good luck