Friendly on September 2, 2011 (Poland)

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team: News, Analysis & History' started by Narc83, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    Since i'm bored and need to rant against mediocre friendlies, I hereby open this discussion.

I don't care about playing in Europe, just to play in Europe for Europe's sake.

How exactly is Poland the best team we could lineup?

This is not a knock, but Poland isn't exactly a step up from our usually friendlies against Paraguay, Chile, Ecuador, Colombia, etc.

If were are going to schedule friendlies in Europe we should play against the tougher squads like Russia, Netherlands, Germany, England, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, etc.

I'm not a Fan of this friendly but I'll watch just like millions of others, pfft :(

I hope that we get to see at least a few new faces alongside the veterans.

The lineup i'd like to see (23 players):

Forwards: Chicharito, Aldo, and Darío Carreño

Midfield: Vela, Guardado, Zavala, Castro, Torrado, Reyes, Gio, Barrera

Defenders: Torres Nilo, Ponce, Arujo, Maza, Rafa, Moreno, Mier, Juarez, El Guti

Goalkeepers: Ochoa, Orozco, Talavera

I'd like to see a 4-4-2 because the general 4-5-1 lineup that we are playing with is becoming incredibly predictable.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Chicharito, Aldo, Guardado, Torrado, Castro, Gio, Nilo, Moreno, Arujo, Juarez, Ochoa[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

I'd l'd to see us use all 6 changes and give playing time to the younger players to bloody them against a more manageable team

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Carreño, Vela, Guardado, Zavala, Reyes, Barrera, Nilo, Moreno, Arujo, El guti, Ochoa[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

2. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree about these teams. It feels like we played the other ones too recently (Even though they are good!).

I'd add Croatia, Norway, Ivory Coast, Greece and Japan since they're higher in the FIFA rankings.

Forwards: Vela, Gio, Chicharito, Aldo, Nery
    Midfield: Guardado, Zavala, Castro, Torrado, Reyes, Barrera, Enriquez, Arellano
    Defenders: Salcido, Nilo, Maza, Rafa, Moreno, Mier, Juarez, Aguilar
    Goalkeepers: Ochoa, Talavera, Michel

3. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Vela better get the call over Arellano -_-

4. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Reyna deserves a callup too.

5. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    Since this thread is going to be gathering cobwebs since it was a little premature.

Here are some headlines from Poland and the web that I managed to scrounge up:

"It's the same level as the other teams in the region: Argentina and Brazil," convinces Paśniewski.

So the Poles are hyping the friendly...

Um, it seems that if this article is correct that we have lined up the poles as preparation for the 2014 world cup. I'm not exactly excited by this but its not like they are any worse than New Zealand, Iceland, N. Korea, etc.

"In addition, assuming that Poland will win the promotion to the World Cup in Brazil in 2014, it will be an opportunity to play a friendly match in the region before the World Cup."

The two parties have agreed that, to the end of 2014 there should be played a second leg encounter in Mexico. The agreement also stated that both teams will play using their strongest teams.

Thanks to this match against Mexico, the Poles should see Manchester United's Javier Hernandez live in action."

So Chicharito is the Headliner for the Mexican team now, i remember when it was Gio/Vela/Marquez.

http://www.polishsoca.com/newswire/national-team/2709-mexico-to-play-poland-in-friendly

"We wrześniu Polska zagra z Meksykiem!

2 września reprezentacja Polski zagra u siebie z Meksykiem. - Jesteśmy na etapie finalizacji ostatnich umów - mówi Futbolnews.pl dyrektor kadry, Konrad Paśniewski. Cztery dni później drużyna Franciszka Smudy podejmie Niemców.

Finalizacja umów to właściwie formalność. - W dokumencie znajdzie się zapis, że dojdzie także do rewanżu. Ma on zostać rozegrany do grudnia 2014 roku w Meksyku - zdradza Paśniewski. Wcześniej PZPN kontaktował się ze szwajcarskim i walijskim związkiem piłki nożnej, ale pisma spotkały się z odmową. - Obie reprezentacje, mimo że mają wolny termin, nie planują rozgrywać tego dnia meczów - przyznaje dyrektor kadry..."

According to Google translate this means that the Return leg will be in December 2014 in Mexico. Interestingly it also implies that we were not the first choice for a friendly. Apparently they asked the Swiss and Whelsh for a friendly but were turned down.

The article continues and says the rational for playing Mexico is that it will give them the opportunity to play in Latin America if they qualify for the 2014 world cup. They also inserted a clause that guarantees that the squads will bring their first choice players. I.e. the Poles demanded that we bring Chicharito and Gio

http://www.futbolnews.pl/rozgrywki/...437,we-wrzesniu-polska-zagra-z-meksykiem.html

Polish squad for the matches against Mexico and Germany:

Goalkeepers: Wojciech Szczesny (Arsenal), Grzegorz Sandomierz (KRC Genk), Przemyslaw Tobacco (PSV Eindhoven) Defenders : Arkadiusz Glowacki (Trabzonspor), Dariusz Dudka (AJ Auxerre), Kamil Glik (AC Torino), Jakub Wawrzyniak (Legia Warsaw), Hubert Wołąkiewicz (Lech Poznan), Tomasz Jodłowiec (Polonia Warsaw) Midfielders: Ludovic Obraniak (Lille OSC) Adam Matuszczyk (FC Cologne), Slawomir Peszko (FC Cologne), Eugen Polanski (FSV Mainz), Jakub Blaszczykowski (Borussia Dortmund), Adrian Mierzejewski (Trabzonspor), Rafal Murawski (Lech Poznan), Szymon Pawlowski (Zaglebie Lubin), Maciej Rybus (Legia Warsaw) Forwards: Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund), Pawel Brozek (Trabzonspor), Patryk Malecki (Wisla Krakow)

http://www.kadra.pl/index.php?dzial=aktualnosci&artykul=203524

Don't know what to say about that squad but i would appreciate a few more vowels :)

I read a few boards from poland and it seems that they are complaining about the ticket prices. The prices are 50, 90 and 130 PLN which is about $17, $31, and $45 dollars

Those prices seem kinda cheap, anyone know how much the ticket prices are in Mexico?

6. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Damnit, why do we always take long to list our squads for friendlies?

Forwards: Vela, Chicharito, Aldo, Nery, Angel Reyna, G10
    Midfield: Guardado, Zavala, Castro, Torrado, Reyes, Enriquez, Barrera
    Defenders: Salcido, Nilo, Maza, Rafa, Moreno, Mier, Juarez, Aguilar
    Goalkeepers: Ochoa, Talavera, Michel

my dream lineup 1st half:
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]
    Chicharito, Vela,
    Guardado, Enriquez, Zavala, Gio,
    Juarez, Moreno, Maza, Nilo,
    Ochoa
    [/LINEUP-4-4-2]

2nd half:
    [LINEUP-4-3-3]
    Reyna, Aldo, Barrera,
    Enriquez, Zavala, Reyes,
    Juarez, Marquez, Moreno, Salcido,
    Ochoa
    [/LINEUP-4-3-3]

7. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    I just don't get what people see in Enriquez, he is way too inexperienced. He is not physical enough in his play and it's shocking how easily people steal the ball from him.

The thing that is holding Enriquez back is his inability to "use" his body effectively to knock people off the ball or to retain possession by using his size to screen the ball.

Right now he is a tronco and unless he starts to utilize his body more effectively he is going to continue to cough up the ball like a 6 year old girl.

isn't Reyna injured? i thought the guy was out for a month or so?

8. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nice lineups, LGRod. I'd love to see that...

Sounds about right. :D

9. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This game is a good way to cut his teeth. Maybe I was hasty in having him start though.

Made his return yesterday and scored.

BTW was Cabrera one of the prostrigate guys?

10. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    Angel Reyna is an interesting player but he tries a little too much to score with the NT.

Basically in the few cameos that he got during the gold cup he was a little too trigger happy. He needs to calm down and play more intelligently.

11. El Burro

El Burro Member

Jan 25, 2009
    San Pancho, Califas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So you think Balon de Bronze means nothing?

12. Shzm13

Shzm13 Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Puro Durango
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lol @ people not including Sinha. He'll be there til he retires.

13. Vinodivino

Vinodivino Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You're wrong.

Chepo will bring him out of retirement and start him over Gio.

14. z0mb1e

z0mb1e Member

May 31, 2007
    Twilight Zone
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I do not believe receiving a little trofeo is a permanent justification for a game with the MNT and in contrast to what he has done in the sub-20 and the Copa America tourneys, it's a definite no from me. It would be better suited to see how he does over time in the ML before he upscales to the senior level. He still has a career ahead of him along with opportunities to prove to the nay sayers, and there's no need to rush him to the selección.

So lets not get ahead of ourselves here even if it's a friendly.

15. El Burro

El Burro Member

Jan 25, 2009
    San Pancho, Califas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My response was for someone whose entire argument was that Enriquez sucks, so I was just pointing out that he had a pretty good U20 World Cup, especially if he got so much recognition as a defensive player. He has looked great the few minutes he has played for chivas' first team. I wouldn't mind him getting called up and training with the national team, even if he doesn't get any minutes. Plus, neither Torrado nor Castro should be on the national team for the next world cup. The sooner we find their replacement, the better.

16. z0mb1e

z0mb1e Member

May 31, 2007
    Twilight Zone
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Naturally, favorite players to get called up to the MNT is what anybody would like. You are not alone, as do others and I have hopes on the latest generations. On the contrary, simply receiving an award and recognition doesn't mean the right of passage. There is a certain process that many have undergone to reach MNT, like J. Hernandez. Many like myself prefer the option that he would improve and acquire much desired qualities via his first team. From there he will encounter many challenging & different situations, and this will show what he's all about. In order for this to happen, he needs to be a starter, and that is yet to happen. So jumping as a sub from chivas with only getting a few minutes of playing time to training with the MNT, doesn't really quite add up.

Having a few great minutes is a good start, yet his resume needs more experience, more games to play, develop certain attributes, ect. Time will tell if he's the right & final product we are all seeking for to fill up that problematic spot.

I do agree that Torrado and Castro including others should fade away by the time the next World Cup comes by since I believe they don't meet todays certain criteria which leaves the team exposed.

Hopefully, we'll have & get the right pieces by the time the next World Cup comes around, so for right now, all in good time young grasshopper. :)

17. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    Lol, the U-20 world cup was like an episode from "A haunting" it might or might not be an accurate representation of reality.

I didn't watch the U-20 because it wasn't broadcast so I can't comment on his performance there.

My entire impression of him is based on the Copa America and, say what you will, his performance was mediocre.

The problem that i saw, was his inability to retain possession. The poor kid was constantly coughing up the ball to much smaller players when they applied the most minimal pressure. His body control was lacking, he is a big body and no one should be knocking him off the ball or stealing possession when they are 4-6 inches shorter. This is something that he will either gain as he gets older or he will remain a tronco with a terrible touch.

I'm not damning him because Copa America was complete shit but i saw nothing that interested me in seeing him with the main squad.

From what i saw Nestor Arujo, Reyes, Mier, Michel, and Reynoso all played well and merit a look. Aquino once he was played in his natural possession showed some nice touches so it will be interesting to see if he remains on the radar of the national team coaches.

Everyone else was pretty much mediocre or non existent.

18. -WiLL-

-WiLL- Member

Jun 23, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I thought he was one of the best players in CA and our best player in the u-20 world cup. I don't see why you wouldn't want to give him a chance, especially when you look at the age of the players there already. Gio and Vela were both put in the team early and before they were getting playing time at their clubs

19. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Entonces dejate de mamadas.....si todo el entorno de la Copa America fue un desastre, no hay bases para juzgar a los jugadores jovenes basado en esos partidos.

Lo que el chavo ha mostrado en Chivas y en las selecciones juveniles es un parametro mucho mas realista que los partidos de la Copa America.

'tas igual que los ojetes que revientan a Oribe Peralta y el tipo casi ni jugo en la Copa America.

Y a pasar factura a los que se reian de mi cuando mencione a Molina y al Cherokee Perez como jugadores que se habian ganado una convocatoria por su rendimiento y aparte de eso, sus caracteristicas se acoplaban a el esquema del chepo.

20. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    The issue is not that he is a horrible player, the problem is that he is mediocre and as such i don't see why people are so in love with him.

21. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    Called up:

1.- Guillermo Ochoa- AC Ajaccio
    2.- Alfredo Talavera-Toluca

3.- Efraín Juárez- Real Zaragoza
    4.- Sergio Pérez- Monterrey
    5.- Rafael Márquez- New York Red Bulls
    6.- Francisco Javier Rodríguez- VfB Stuttgart
    7.- Héctor Moreno-RCD Espanyol de Barcelona
    8.- Edgar Dueñas- Toluca
    9.- Carlos Salcido-Tigres
    10.- Adrián Aldrete - Monarcas

11.- Gerardo Torrado- Cruz Azul
    12.- Israel Castro- Cruz Azul
    13.- Jesús Molina- América
    14.- Jesús Zavala- Monterrey

15.- Pablo Barrera- West Ham United FC
    16.- Christian Bermúdez- Atlante
    17.- Andrés Guardado- Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña
    18.- Efraín Velarde- UNAM
    19.- Antonio Naelson Sinha- Toluca

20.- Giovani Dos Santos- Tottenham

21.- Javier Hernández- Manchester United
    22.- Aldo de Nigris- Monterrey
    23.- Oribe Peralta- Santos

The bolded players are strange call ups but not exactly shocking.

Overall the DM are very interesting and we actually have more than one forward

22. The Boy From School

Apr 1, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Where is Carlos Vela?

23. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    I wonder what the hell did Vela did wrong to not get called up? My only explanation is he probably ran around naked in practice and took a dump on the pitch.

24. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    You've formed quite an opinion of him after watching him go up against full strength Chile and Uruguay sides in Copa America even though you said you've never seen him play outside of those parameters.

Flawless logic you've got there....I mean, if I'd never seen Gio play before Copa America, I'd be saying the same thing about him.

1 person likes this.
  25. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Member+

Aug 29, 2005
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Took the words right out of my mouth.