Friendly Match: Uruguay vs Mexico June 2, 2022

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by PARS, Jun 1, 2022.

1. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Believe what discourse? That we should call up a liga MX journeyman in Aldo Rocha just because he plays for the current liga MX champion? Should we also call up 31 year old Luis Reyes even though he has already proven that he can’t hang at the international level?

AMLO2018, LaMascara and wolfpupz repped this.
  2. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    His distribution in the midfield was great and was well on his way to the world cup had it not been for that freak injury he suffered against Ecuador

beat junky and El Chanclas repped this.
  3. sizal9

sizal9 Member+

Mexico
    Aug 24, 2005
    why isn't mexico like this? wtf are kids doing over there playing marbles instead?

4. sizal9

sizal9 Member+

Mexico
    Aug 24, 2005
    It's sad that that MLS Carlos vela, who doesn't even like this sport is currently better than anyone on this squad.

5. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    His injury was back in 2013/2014. Montes never really played with Mexico or started an important game because even though he was great in liga MX that style of play never translated to international play. You can’t blame a coach in that instance and say for example, oh Tata didn’t like him because we’ve had a few coaches in the last 8 years and none of them ever played him. He was too small and slow. Besides always getting called up because he was the “best” liga mx player, he never payed. That’s why he retired, yet people talked about him like he was actually an important player that always got playing time.

6. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    His injury was a tune up game for the World Cup in 2014 few minutes after he scored a golazo on Ecuador.

7. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Yeah I know his injury was before the World Cup in 14. That doesn’t change the fact that Chapito Montes is the prime example of players who do well in Liga MX and can’t handle the speed and physicality of international play.

8. TheDude47

TheDude47 Member+

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That is the exact definition of the 2006 teams and they did fine, same as every other group before then or after them. Your limited Liga MX skills can be compensated with a fantastic team chemistry. No reason to shun a player just because they play in Liga MX.

9. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Lol, what does 2006 have to do with Chapito Montes and his career with the NT? Lol, not every player in Liga MX is good. That’s why you got old ass Chispa Velarde who can barely run but since our league is so slow, he’s still out there playing and starting. If you read what I said, I said players need to have physical attributes to do well in the international stage. You have to look at that as well in a player. You can’t have a bunch of slow and short players out there. There’s a reason why our midfield right now is terrible, all our CMs are slow and are too slow to help attack and defend. Other teams CMs cover more ground and close out spaces faster while ours are too slow to help both our team defensively and offensively.

10. TheDude47

TheDude47 Member+

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol what does Chispa Velarde have to do with Chapito Montes and his career with the NT? See what I did there? I’m simplify back to the original point made 20 comments back, Chapito Montes was a fine player that would’ve had a fine career in the NT. NT dudes have been slow and short for a long time now and yet the NT still found a way to at least be competitive. Hence the 2006 example. You say players need to have great physical attributes to succeed, well Mexico never has. The 2010 team was pretty young and athletic, didn’t really make much a difference. The 2018 team has bounds of European physicality and experience, didn’t really matter there. The midfield is terrible because there is no structure and players are being told where to go. You compensate for physical deficiencies by adapting your formation.

beat junky repped this.
  11. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Chapito Montes would’ve had a fine NT career? What? Didn’t he just retire like 2 years ago. Or am I missing something?

12. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    Dude wtf. As was previously mentioned Montes was injured just soon after scoring a top shelf golazo. His injury had nothing to do with him being unable to “handle the speed and physicality of international play”, but rather had everything to do with physics. Even the opposing player was injured in the play. You appear to be making your conclusion on his stature. Do you remember how a small man in Gallito Vasquez went on to ball out in Brazil? Montes was on the upswing and positioned to have a great WC. What happened to him was a damned shame and we’ll never know the difference he might have made. That he was not the same player after the injury is no surprise.

beat junky and TheDude47 repped this.
  13. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    #288 superm, Jun 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    The whole conversation started about how good liga MX performances don’t translate to the NT. Hasn’t Montes always been a top Liga MX player in the last 8 years, even after his injury? Why was he not able to perform with Mexico after the injury?

Anyways, there’s another game today. Nene Beltran is short and I think sucks but he is a quicker guy who runs more and I think can cover more ground, so it’ll be interesting to see him play instead of Alvarez. If the reported lineup is correct.

14. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    I can’t say for certain why he was never brought back into the fold. I do recall that the coach after Piojo, Juan Carlos Osorio, made no bones about preferring taller players. Perhaps this factored into him not getting much of a chance in the 2018 cycle.

ShockMaster repped this.
  15. Blue_Demon

Blue_Demon Member+

Aug 20, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He doesn't mention Osorio, but, in his own words:

"Yo tomé la decisión de no ir a la selección, la última convocatoria hablé con él (Gerardo Martino) terminando y le dije que mi intención no era ir más. Me vine desilusionado y desmotivado porque se decía que estaba en un muy buen nivel, que estaba jugando muy bien en mi club y uno va a la selección con la intención de hacerlo muy bien y a veces llamaban 26 o 27 jugadores se hacía futbol y no entraba en esos 22 y me puse a pensar que no tenía nada qué hacer ahí, sino más bien mi lugar fuera para un joven que fuera por la experiencia y las vivencias." (Source: "Luis Montes reveló que renunció a la selección mexicana de ‘Tata’ Martino")

AMLO2018, superm and ShockMaster repped this.
  16. ShockMaster

ShockMaster Member

Oct 26, 2013
    IN THA 6
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Kyrgyzstan
    I wish more players in our current squad would think and be more like montes and step aside

17. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Why would I mention Osorio? Was Marco Fabian, Aquino, Guardado, Jona Dos Santos, Chucky, Vela, Tecatito, Peralta, or Chicharito all tall physical specimens? Jimenez was our only tall forward and you could put Herrera and maybe Guti up there too since they’re somewhat close to 6’0”. Those were the World Cup midfielders/forwards.

Osorio only played tall defenders and typically played with 3 cbs

Blue_Demon repped this.
  18. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Best decision he made for himself and NT.

Blue_Demon and Hecho en Chivas repped this.
  19. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    He was also real bad in the most important friendly against Nigeria in March. Prior to that, rumors are that Herrera had bought into the "Liga MX are better than European divas" thing and then the Nigeria game showed that the Euro players could hang and that Liga MX players didn't have the speed or strength to match with players like Nigeria and Montes was one of them. I thought he would still play in the World Cup, but he wouldn't have made a difference in Brazil.

superm repped this.
  20. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    All your "didn't matter then" is all talking as if were are still living in 1999. That didn't matter then is getting a big result that people in Mexico keep taking for granted. In 1998 we had teams like Chile that had Zamorano in Europe and a bunch of local and South American based players. Colombia had like 4 european and their best player in Euro was on the way out. Same for Paraguay. Now every South American team has a bunch. In 2006 Ecuador also qualified to the Round of 16 with a bunch of Ecuador based players and now they would go 3 and out with a similar team. This idea that the World didn't stop changing and things are just the same because it worked in 98 is key in what we are struggling.

Robertinho21, Philip J. Fry and superm repped this.
  21. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that's always been the case nothing new here. He showed he could play well when he would integrate with the euro players.

22. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Did he? He stunk in that Nigeria game where the Euro were first called in Herrera's tenure. After that match the only game that was played after that was Mexico vs Israel which Montes didn't play. They then played that match against Ecuador.

23. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Luis Montes was never a NT quality player. Dude had his golazos every now and then but he would usually be invisible for large stretches of the game

Let’s face it, there are players who do well in Liga MX but when it comes to the NT they completely disappear

GrandeSoccer, superm and TGO repped this.
  24. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Distribution? Lol stfu.

That dude was a black hole. He killed tons of counters cause he came in gassed and slow.

Stop gassing caca players.

LGRod, AMLO2018 and superm repped this.
  25. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    you all must be thinking of the 2018-2019 version because that wasn't the case back then then.