Friedel talks like a Geordie.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by RobB, Sep 23, 2003.

1. usnatfan

usnatfan New Member

Aug 25, 2003
    South Florida
    Freidel's a solid keeper but he should loose that fake ass British accent. We all know he lives and plays in England, but you dont hear Reyna, Marcus or Keller trying to sound "English". He should stop the nonesense or he can call Mike Myers for some real fake ass british accent lessons.

2. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Mike Myers "fake ass british accents" are shite

3. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are a caricature... if you had ever heard him immitate his parents' liverpool accents then you would be very impressed.

and i think that everyone is missing the point here... brad friedel is a two ton piece of man-meat!

4. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    What makes you think Brad's British accent is fake? What makes you think that Brad is TRYING to sound "English"? How do you know that Reyna, Marcus or Keller is not trying to sound "English but just fails? Most importantly, in what way has Brad's accent hurt you or anyone else?

5. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    LMAO!!!!!

"I hyavant hyad tiyme to wahter my playants!" (said with an extremely nasal tone).

You want no accent? Try Utah, buddy. The Great Basin is the place where accents dissolve into nothing.

To be fair, some people here really don't have an accent. But the standard accent is quite noticeable, believe me (though not always as strong as above).

6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bet you'd like to shag her, though. :)

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rob you are barking on the wrong tree, you have no idea what its like leaving in a different environment. So if you don't know why even bring it up. Well if you don't know you could ask nicely and someone will explain it to you, but only if you ask nice.

8. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    I'm glad this topic came up........I can't believe big soccer has been around all this time and no one has brought this up before.......

To the user who believes that Friedel should lose his spot on the NATS because he has developed (not faking) an accent, kindly pucnh yourself in the nuts....twice.

Thanks.

9. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    It's inevitable...

The last interview I saw with Tim Howard, there was an English accent creeping into his speech. If we put a team in Brooklyn, the players would all start saying "youse" and "dem". People tend to adopt the speech of the people around them. Like in the army, how far would someone get if they said something like "Excuse me sir, could you please move your machine gun a little further to the right?" To get anyone's attention you'd have to say "Hey $#@*&$, if you're not too &^%$^* busy, move your *&^%&* machine gun to the right." My Australian and British friends have mostly lost their accents from living in the US. What's the big deal?

10. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    A thread about Friedel and nothing from Segroves yet??

11. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Friedel proves once and for all that you have to be somewhat of a freak of nature to play keeper..... Keller and Howard seem fairly normal in comparison (they're just not as overtly freakish at least)

12. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Howard has been there for 9 minutes.....Keller might not be as prone to pick up dialects......not a big deal either way.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You obviously have no sense of what is important in international soccer. and for that you can just stay away from my "Wade Barret: Lost the chops, Got splinters?" thread. Come on, Todd, where's your soccer passion?

14. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    oops, my bad......I will try harder next time :D

15. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Aye cos there is so many big green ogres walking about here to caricature ;)

Scouse is easy anyway, all you have to learn is " not guilty yer honour" and say in in a nasal tone.

16. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    Re: Re: Friedel talks like a Geordie.

I not sure about this different enviroment you mention. Its not as though he`s living with some remote Congolese tribe, surviving on beetle larvae and wild berries. Its Blackburn. I`m sure on his Sundays off he plays abit of golf, takes his kids to the Multiplex stops at a drivethru says:`why aye man`, from time to time, the normal things.
    The reason I mentioned it in the first place is that Friedel is so established in the EPL now, he`s even sounding the part, I just wish he could be called up for England. Some would say Cudicini is the best keeper here but if most fans could pick one GK I think most would go for Freidel, geordie accent and all.

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Friedel talks like a Geordie.

Hey, don't knock beatle larvae, especially when it's in season.

18. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best post ever.

19. zizkov do toho

zizkov do toho New Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oulu,Finland
    Ask and you shall receive- http://www.ukans.edu/~idea/index2.html

I think we should all have a little more sympathy for Brad. I've lived abroad (though not in UK) for a long time and I have to remember to stick an occasional "y'all" in so people will know where I'm really from!

20. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    thanks, Great site y'all.

21. Elessar1733

Elessar1733 New Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Columbia, SC
    Somethingn like that happened to me when I went to Germany for an exchange. After a bit people said I had a "Welsh-Scottish" accent with English (whatever the hell that accent is), and I apparently spoke German with the most outlandish accent ever. For the record, I've lived in the southeastern US most of my life.

22. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i fear that something like that is going to happen to me when i do my study abroad in england next year... :D

23. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA

24. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    You're ignorant. People here had been talking about it since his Liverpool days. Friedel had been using his "DEVELOPED" FUNNY accent just a couple of weeks after arriving in England. I still think he's "Like A Virgin - WEIRDO" and besides Howard is now a better keeper than Friedel anyway. Weirdos shouldn't be allowed to play for the Nats, unless your name is DaMarcus Beasley of course.

25. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Yes, but only if Michael watched.