"Friedel still going strong", ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by FC Uptown, Jan 25, 2008.

1. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Friedel still going strong

"Given that Brad Friedel is regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League, and has been for a while, he must have known the question was coming. His quick reply suggested it.

"None at all,'' the Ohio native said with a chuckle when asked whether he had any thoughts of ending his international retirement in time for the 2010 World Cup. "I had unbelievable times, to say the least, and I loved every minute of international football. But I also don't regret for one second the day that I retired."

Brad Friedel is still remembered for his penalty kick heroics in the 2002 World Cup.
    Friedel is 36, which isn't that old for a keeper, especially when you consider Seattle's Kasey Keller, part of the squad at last summer's Gold Cup and Copa America, is still going strong with the national team aged 38 and 35-year-old Marcus Hahnemann, another Seattle stopper, continues to be the undisputed No. 1 at Reading. (New Jersey's Tim Howard, having a stellar campaign at Everton, is a tot in comparison -- he's 28.)

(more)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=501492&root=americansabroad&cc=5901