Friedel: receives vote for FIFA POY [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by JohnW, Dec 16, 2003.

1. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
  2. DCM

DCM New Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Takoma Park, MD
    Don't know whether this is a first, but I find it pretty amusing that the stellar judge of talent known as Steve Sampson actually voted Beckham as his no. 3. That puts him in line with all the other 3rd tier coaches who picked Beckham. It would be interesting what the voting results would have looked like if the voting was limited to countries that actually qualified for the world cup finals. Seems like there would be a lot of first and second place votes for Nedved or Henry.

3. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Some votes are realy great.

German international Paul Freier was placed second by ghana´s NC Zumdick(his former coach at bochum).
    Or does anyone of you know who Esala Masi is? He was placed third by the Solomon Islands.
    Friedel recieved his vote from the Bahamas.....

Another funny vote is Ahmed Hassan as third by the Syrian NC.

4. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    You'd certainly win a bet about the first time with two Yanks voting (Arena and Sampson).

For other laughs check out Chinese Taipei and North Korea's vote.

5. FabFiveFigo

FabFiveFigo Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Northern SC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jack Edwards was voting, Brad would be #1.

6. FabFiveFigo

FabFiveFigo Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Northern SC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that Rivaldo got a vote. I think I've had about as much 1st team action as he had this year.

7. DCM

DCM New Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Takoma Park, MD
    If Jack was right, and Friedel's from Mars, perhaps he doesn't actually meet the citizenship requirements for world player of the year.

8. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Hey! what is funny about Rivaldo and Prso??

Rivaldo won the CL!!! OK he didn´t play THAT much, but maybe they don´t have Seria A or CL on tv in north korea.........

And Prso: He scored 4 goals against Depor in CL and maybe that was the only european game he saw this year, so he didn´t mentioned that Prso has a very, very, very poor scoring rate in the french league..........

9. FabFiveFigo

FabFiveFigo Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Northern SC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.

BTW, I noticed Iraq didn't vote. I'm surprised Dubya didn't hand their vote over to Arena to cast for them.

10. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Landon got two votes last year.

One from Mexico :D and one from some African country..Ivory Coast I think...

11. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Yeah, but to choose Takamatsu Daiki over his more talented brother Phil Daiki?

Common now, that's a crime!

12. andrewt14

andrewt14 Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Atlanta
    Rafael MARQUEZ got a vote from Guatemala's manager Victor Manuel Aguado Macuido.

Does anyone know the most votes anyone from COCACAF has ever received? or the year when most players from CONCACAF received votes?

13. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    My guess would be Sanchez when he played for Real Madrid or Yorke from his days at ManUre

14. andrewt14

andrewt14 Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Atlanta
    http://www.soccernet.com/worldcup/2000/results/fifao11.html

Masi plays for Fiji. He scored nine goals in two games against Oceania powerhouses American Samoa & Tonga in 2002 World Cup Qualifying.

He currently plays for Newcastle United, the Australian one in the NSL. On 28-November-2003
    Newcastle United broke a six-game winless streak having overcome a 45-minute power failure, as well as league leader Perth Glory at Energy Australia Stadium tonight, with Esala Masi scoring the only goal. Meanwhile in Adelaide, Wollongong Wolves defender Ben Blake broke the hearts of Adelaide United supporters with a last gasp equaliser at Hindmarsh Stadium.

http://www.sgnonline.com/~subria/other/nov03/281103_nsl.html

15. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aha, you convinced me. There is no doubt that he is the best player in the world if he can dominate a great league like the Australian league :D

Russell Latapy and Paolo Wanchope also recieved votes for player of the year a few years back.

16. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    WOAH! Henrik Larsen plays for Celtic AND manages the Faroe Islands? That man is truely something....

17. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Donovan actually got a couple of third-place votes last year.

18. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Re: Re: Friedel: receives vote for FIFA POY [R]

way to read the whole thread first beineke...

19. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if Freddy Adu recieved some votes next year. I mean, if Marco Van Basten can still recieve votes after he was retired for 3 years why can't Adu get some votes before his career even starts.

20. mkb3

mkb3 Member

Jul 11, 2000
    San Francisco
    Haiti

Fernando Clavijo is the coach of Haiti. I think this news passed me by.

21. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Re: Haiti

I wish him luck, and wish luck to that poor country. Recently it seems the only news I see from Haiti isn't good. Hopefully, I've just missed the good news!

I didn't see much of Clavijo's coaching in MLS, but I did watch him on 4 July 1994, on TV. Hope his coaching career works out...

Stan

22. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Friedel: receives vote for FIFA POY [R]

Missed your comment lodged in between mentions of the Iraq invasion and Takamatsu Daiki.

Sorry to have offended you.