News: Friedel Fired

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, May 9, 2019.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would change your second sentence to this:
    "I might have been right, but unfortunately that teenager developed a brain tumor that turned him into a psychopath".

2. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Somehow I think this is a reference to Jay Heaps. But apparently you did not see his masterful handling of the 2004 Westfield U6 Orange Team or the inspired tactics in use during his 2 year stint with the East Logmeadow U8 Flying Squirrels. That man had mad coaching skills before he took over the reigns in Foxborough.

MM66 repped this.
  3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was in the car waiting to pick up my daughter from soccer practice listening to Felger and Mazz.

Jim Murray read a story about how Lakers fans were organizing a protest of the team this weekend, and Felger laughed.

Next story was about Friedel being fired and Felger said, "Now THOSE people should be protesting."

4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I kind of hope that coaches start publicly saying they turn down revs offers, and that until Burns is gone no one takes the job

swedust and Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  5. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the first game or two however this team really is in need of a talent injection especially defensively

7. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    IMHO, this is the worst of all worlds really, because it means that Burns stays for another year or so while the next coach is given time to pan out. Why ANYONE would give Burns another chance to hire a coach is just beyond me. He must be the ultimate teflon manager. Just amazing: amazingly sad, disappointing, frustrating....

Steve_R, Dr. Sneezy, rkane1226 and 3 others repped this.
  8. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel did a horrible job. He came in, cleaned house, and we were worse as a result. His system didn't work but he stuck with it. We'll see if his player assessment was bad when we get a new coach or had the players just stopped listening. Maybe its a combination of both?

All I do know is that Burns is still a BIG problem and should go too. How many times can he survive when the coaches he's picked are fired. He does not bring in the talent needed to succeed and the coach ends up paying the price. The cycle is no starting again. No good coach would ever come here under these conditions.

Friedel will have a real hard time finding another gig. He made a mess here and I see no reason anybody would hire him now.

9. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^ This! ^^^

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New coaches often "clean house" when they arrive, but the players Friedel ditched and the ones he brought in to replace them just made things worse. Now, the only thing we have is the hope that somehow the guys who have been under-performing this year will find their old groove back. It may work for a while--I've always believed that the team has been less than the sum of it's parts.

So let's say Lapper is an improvement over Friedel, which is like seeing better than Stevie Wonder, and they go .500 the rest of the way. Better, but not good enough to dig out of the deep hole they are in now.

So it really is the worst of both worlds. Burns will be "vindicated" (in his own mind and in the Krafts' minds, at least) and it will be a matter of how we "almost" made the playoffs, if it wasn't for the bad start. Yeah, and I "almost" had a million dollars, if it weren't for the decimal point a few places too far to the left!

TOAzer repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleaned house?

IIRC, I saw on Twitter yesterday that Friedel had 19 players on the roster that were here when Heaps left. If that number's correct, we have a very different definition of cleaned house.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That doesn't sound right to me.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad took over after the 2017 season. 2018 Brad had 16 hold overs from Heaps Roster. 2019 there were 11 left. I would say in two years he overhauled the rosters so this was really "his" team that was performing so crappy with a good influence of crappy Heaps players. Current hold overs are Agudello, Bunbury, Caldwell, Cropper, Delemea, Fagundez, Farrell, Herivaux, Knighton, Turner and Wright

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 minutes? Not a lot of info can pass on in that amount of time, considering these things usually start with a statement, and a pretty obvious one at that....

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Wish I could remember where I found that number.

It might have been 19 players brought back from the failures of last season?

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it is 19 players that have left since Friedel took over:
    Kamara, Koffie, Kobayashi, Woodberry, Watson, D Smith, J Smith, Kouassi, Angoua, Nguyen, Németh, Segbers, Samayoa, Hollinger-Janzen, Machado, Hauché, Dielna, Tierney, Rowe.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, that might be it. Of course a few of those are ones he himself brought in.

19. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Add the 8 empty roster spots that we still have and that makes 19.

tsb11 and firstshirt repped this.
  20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #45 Cannons, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Maybe not cleaned house, how about moved a lot of talent out that he didnt like? Some of which are now performing well in other situations (Nemeth), Rowe, Kamara (7 G), Lee (he would have gone anyway). The thing is that we had more talent when BF arrived then when he left. Maybe not all were starters but the ones named are still playing other places. I wounder how many of the ones brought in would find homes if cut tomorrow?
    Friedel created a mess and paid the price. I wont miss him

kennytt and TOAzer repped this.
  21. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But those aren’t Heaps’ holdovers they’re SN’s...

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve had a couple people now tell me they believe Friedel gave up as much as the players. Could it be he wanted to be fired?

We’ll argue forever about Burns vs. BF being responsible for signings but after the DP disaster on May 7 maybe even BF saw the light on how things (don’t) work in Revland.

Of course he always could have resigned...

TOAzer repped this.
  24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Brad gone the Revs played more freely, more focused, better. Of course there is almost always a "bounce" when a manager is removed...so will not read anything into it beyond what can be read into it after one game... and have no reason to believe that Lapper is the manager we would need... but to the extent that Brad was a truly toxic manager, and to the extent removal of a source of toxicity improves health, this was an absolutely necessary step.

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think I agree, but that's probably a debate for another day.
    Yes, but I always thought that was unlikely. Guys like Friedel are ultra-competitive; never give up, never give in ... In the end, his buddy Burns did him a favor.