Friedel coming back?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Seeing as we haven't had one of these threads in a while.....

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/08/returning-keeper/

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recently, North Carolina ran out of money and had to lay off every policeman in the state for a week.

So they hired Brad Friedel, carrying an axe handle, to fill in.

There was no crime.

3. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might want to come back to Columbus (and I would love his leadership ability), but his salary and a trade for Dallas's spot would break up this team.

Hesmer is good enough. It's kind of foolish to have one of your highest paid players at goalkeeper with a 2.6 million dollar cap. Not going to happen.

Unless the Crew trade Hesmer to Dallas. Which I think would be dumb because Hesmer has like 10 more years in him and won't likely be headed overseas.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Good Lord... I've been reading Carrick for a few years, but I didn't realize he needs a proofreader AND a spellcheck.

He makes good points about Friedel, though. Another case of enough starpower, you go where you want.
    If TFC approves, of course.

5. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would also probably command a DP spot. I don't know where we will find that at.

6. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Junior21 writing over there too? :D

I think this would be a potentially huge signing for Champions League (along with Renteria), we just don't have the money for it. And, Garber wonders why MLS can't do well in CONCACAF.

7. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D

Unless he gives us the Brian McBride hometown special

8. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I like him and respect what he accomplished in his career, we simply do not need him. His salary would be over the top and we have a goalkeeper that led us to a championship last year.

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know how we afford him, but he's light years better than Hesmer.

Will is younger, but is everyone forgetting the early season blunders and walkabouts already.

Hesmer makes what, around 100k? If we could get Brad for 150k, that would be fantastic.

I don't think it will happen this year, anyway.

Next year, we could be missing: Guille, Marshall, Rogers, or Moreno. That's a chunk of change right there.

10. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    If he really wants to come back and be close to his academy, why are we all automatically assuming he'll cost so much?

Seattle got Keller without using a DP, and Keller thought he was as good as Friedel, (which is like a monkey flinging poo comparing his work to Monet, but that's a different story), and there's quite a few reasons for Friedel to want to be here.

Plus, if you read the comments at the end of the article, at least one FCD fan would be happy if Noonan was part of the deal, so I think that's where we start.

11. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously doubt Brad Friedl is going to sign for 150k...maybe 1.5M

I think Hesmer has really played well as of late, I agree he looked spooky earlier this season.

If we lose all of those great field players you mentioned we are going to need to replace them with the chunk of change.

12. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Brad Friedel. I have, ever since I saw him play in an Olympic qualifier in 1989/90 (?) against Panama over at Dublin Coffman high school. When he played for the crew, my man crush grew to impressive heights. I supported whatever team he was on.

That being said, I would not trade Brad (for now + 2 more years) for Hesmer (for now + 5 more years). We have an opportunity with Will Ferrell to deveop a world class GK. I think he has the skill, athleticsm (sp?), and aptitude to learn and grow. I believe Hesmer to be better than Guzan. I think he's as good, if not better than Troy Perkins, Reis, Onstad, Cannon, Busch, and just about any other keeper in North America. I honestly rate Hesmer just below Keller, but to be honest, I've probably always rated Keller lower than he deserved.

13. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that too. Noonan for Friedel straight up? DONE. Hell, I'll even through in my 2002 Ford Focus Wagon AND Ken Burns (sorry Burnsy) to drive it down there.

Then I would trade him for real value. I still would rather have Hesmer at this point.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we'll lose ALL of those players, but 1-2 is a serious possibility. And it could be more.

I also agree Hesmer has been better lately.

But lets not kid ourselves: Friedel > Hesmer. It's not even close.

I don't think you can make the keeper the DP. If Brad wants DP money, we can't do it if Guille stays another year. Unless the rules change, of course.

15. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Rules change to 2 DP that cost nothing or less than they do now against the cap then this would be brilliant.

I think Hesmer could use a year or two working under Friedel, he's a smart guy, i think he'd see the value in it and then take the starting spot back when he's gone after his 2 year cameo.

Granted that is only if the rules change, if not i say make Big Willie Style the franchise keeper, he's solid and pry about the 4th best keeper in the league behind Keller, Onstad and Bush.

16. SecretWalrus

SecretWalrus Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll fight you!!!! Willy is way better than Bush.

17. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How about we trade Dante Washington to Dallas for Brad Friedel.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean Dante Worshington? :)

Who is this Washington guy?

19. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hesmer makes around 60k

20. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3:00 at the flag poll after class! :cool:

Nah dude I like Will but Busch is a slightly better shot stopper if you ask me...and MLS he won keeper of the year and all that one spot ahead of will...

21. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are full of shit

22. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're full of cheap booze :cool:

23. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley Friedel will not come back to MLS for less money than Kasey Keller is making, which is $300,000.

He's a man of quiet pride, unlike that second rate hack in Seattle, but that would be a matter of principle, I would think.

Big Brad does present a dilemma, however.

Hesmer is - feel free to argue, but you'll be wrong - the best rising keeper in the US pool. After Howard and Guzan I think Hesmer is, if not yet #3 then closing in on it fast.

Who else you got? Hahnemann? Please. He's 37 years old. Busch? A good MLS keeper but too old and too small and too broken to play at the international level.

Perkins? You mean the guy who let in FIVE against Mexico a couple of weeks back? Robles? The guy praactically GAVE Haiti two goals and the draw in the Gold Cup a couple weeks back. Worst US GK performance in a decade. Pickens? Don't make me laugh.

Hesmer is money in the bank. What we ought to be worried about is losing him overseas, which I expect will become an issue sooner rather than later.

You heard it here first.

24. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me this rumor put a huge smile on Mike's face.

25. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    If the rumors that BA speaks of are true than trading Will to get Brad makes sense. FCD is taking a risk on grabbing a player for the short term and losing him overseas. But preferably sending The Hammer to Dallas makes more sense if its a goalkeep that FCD is looking for.

The Hammer is a solid to excellent keeper but he needs playing time to develop and he isn't going to get that playing behind Will, just not gonna happen. So package The Hammer with Renteria when we get him (or maybe Ale, although that would hurt) and we have a deal. Assuming that Brad will come if the only issue is his getting paid more than Keller. I would agree that he needs to get more than Keller. Not only considering their rivalry but Brad puts Keller to shame.

We get our Brad back, Will gets to train with one of America's greatest goalkeepers (if not the best) ever, we have CYA'd in case Will does go to Europe, and FCD gets a good young keeper, a powerful and fast forward, and probably some cash.