Friday Night Fights - Detroit v. Indianna 11/19 [R]

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by dark knight, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2004-05 NBA thread

Christ it was onlt a beer or a soda...its not like it was a bag of urine..next time some stupid fan throws a bag of urine at Keller in Azteca they should go fight them in the stands .....now that would be a riot!

Actaulty....i think people would die. :(

2. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002

In response to this making the NBA more popular, I disagree. We're all here talking about this because it was probably the ugliest scene of players v fans in recent memory, maybe ever, at least in the states. Personally, when things like this happen outside of soccer, I always hope it takes the stigma off of our beautiful game and hope that people realize ugliness happens because of people, not because of the game.

But getting back to my original point, we're all trying to find solutions and trying to place the blame on people and debating on what punishment people should receive, etc. I'm not going to watch an NBA game tonight because of what happened last night. I hardly watch the NBA and haven't really paid attention to it since the Jordan years. But will I watch the Pacers-Pistons rematch on Christmas? Maybe. Will I watch the next time the Pacers go to Detroit. Probably, unless the nats are playing, of course. But will it make more interested in watching a Nuggets-Sonics game? Hardly.

It's kind of like college football and the BCS. Yeah, people are talking about it, but their complaining about the product, not praising what they are seeing.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

And if Pacers play the Pistons in the playoffs? It sounds to me like your interest in the league is higher than it was. No one is saying that it suddenly makes Bulls v. Hawks riveting television.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Re: WHat did you think about the Detroit/Indiana fight???

Detroit should be playing their next few home games without any fans in the seats. Plain and simple the Detroit Pistons and the Arena organziation needs to be punished just like the players for what happened last night, regardless of who you want to blame for "starting" the incident.

5. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

O'neill, Jackson, Artest and Wallace have all been suspended indefinitely. Good job NBA. Way to suspend the one guy that didn't hit a fan.

6. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002

True, but if anything it makes the Pacers-Pistons rivalry more watchable, but it stops there. I don't avoid the NBA at all costs. I pay attention to it, but it's minimal. I couldn't name you a starting lineup (well, maybe a few) and I certainly couldn't name you any team's 12-man roster like I could 10 years ago. I joined a fantasy NBA league on Yahoo (I did a year ago too) for the hell of it and my team is horrible. I cut some dude named Haslem or something on Miami because his stats from last year were unimpressive and now he's scoring like 15 points and grabbing 8-10 boards a night :mad:

Anyway, the brawl last night makes for good discussion and lively debates but it won't make me become more of an NBA fan.

7. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX

That's exactly how I saw it. I am baffled at some the reactions.The fan who threw beer should be banned for life, but that does not make what Artest did "self defense". Ron Artest was not "defending himself
    " and Steven Jackson is not "Defending Ron Artest". Even after the beer was thrown, they were not in any danger of being assulted by the fans. The fans were not climbing over the chairs to come get Artest. He went into the standings swing his fists and seeking retribution, and started the riot.

What the fan did was wrong, but the person who started the riot was Artest.

He should be banned for life

8. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

During the Michigan- Ohio State game Saunders came on and siad the NBA has suspended Wallace, Artest and Jackson.....indefinatly!!! Which means they haven't offically decided how long but just wanted to say something..I bet the house the NBA is gonna make expamles out of players for this one..look for some really really long suspensions.

Since Artest is so concerned about making his rap album maybe NBA should just ban him for the year so he can get this stuff straight.

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio

The Pistons should be playing a few home games with no fans.

10. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002

What the NBA should do also is punish Detroit. They should force the Pistons play a home game in an empty arena. There was no security anywhere in sight and whatever security was in place did NOTHING to stop the fight. Kinda like Roma fans, when they threw something at the ref, Roma was punished by playing in an empty stadium. In the Mexican league, that's a pretty common punishment also.

That would send a message to the rest of the teams around the league, get your security in place and stop this stuff from escalating to the level it did last night.

11. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002

Great minds think alike :D

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Get a grip man - he wasn't defending himself and he crossed the line, but he also didn't really assault the fan -- he just ran out there and grabbed him. The punches he threw were at the guy swinging at him from behind and at the two hobbits who wandered on court.

13. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: WHat did you think about the Detroit/Indiana fight???

They won't do that. What they may do is fine the Team as a punative measure for not having the security to handle the incident properly. The team in turn will get "tough on fan misconduct" as a result of the fine and the bad publicity..this isn't UEFA we don't play in empty arenas unless there is no other recourse.

14. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They won't do that. What they may do is fine the Team as a punative measure for not having the security to handle the incident properly. The team in turn will get "tough on fan misconduct" as a result of the fine and the bad publicity..this isn't UEFA we don't play in empty arenas unless there is no other recourse.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio

In this case there is no other recourse. What happened is inexcusible all around...

The arena should be empty for at least a game, if not the NBA has no sack.

16. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002

David Stern just made a statement about this, and you gotta love how the Judas turned against players right away. Check out this quote

I mean, it only makes sense that you should be able to throw shìt at players from the stands and/or go down on the floor to fight them without having to worry about them knocking you out cold.

17. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002

So we should wait for this to happen again before taking severe action?

There's all this talk about "sending a message" and suspending players for 20, 30 games or the rest of the season. Well, what about the Pistons? What about the non-existent security that was in place? Are they without blame?

If the NBA sends a strong message for teams to get their security in place by forcing the Pistons to play without fans, all NBA teams will have stringent security measures in place TONIGHT and this will never happen again, even if some knucklehead goes into the stands.

18. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I respect your opinion but i must disagree. Why punish the thouthands of fans that did nothing or had already left to go home?? Only a handful of fans were commiting the major acts and the law will punish them for it its all on film and most were season ticket holders.

A more apporiate punishment would be for the NBA to fine Detroit $3,000,000 for improper security and punative fines. This way the decent civil fans won't be punished and the Team will have to take responsibility for those that were out of line. And you can bet a multi million dollar fine would cause increased security and a zero tolorance fan miscounduct policy. I never liked the idea of empty stadia it really only punishes the majorty fan who is civil and it makes it look like the league can't handle its fans so it just keeps them from attending.

19. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite

LOL...I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but a huge ugly brawl broke out between players at the South Carolina-Clemson college football game. What is going on this weekend?

20. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago

Yes they should be rolemodels for the kids that admire them, not fighting. It's not like Artest was fearing for his life. It was a plastic cup. Jumping in the stands only causes more problems. It's not like the whole stadium was full of fighting fans. There were little kids and older people in the crowd. Imagine if one of them was struck by a punch. They could be hurt real bad. I am not saying the Detroit fans were angels, all I'm saying that the Pacers players should have never entered the stands. It just caused a larger conflict.

21. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA

Not in this instance. Any player who contributed to breaching that invisible barrier by entering the stands, inciting riot, logically loses the right to avail himself to the initial agressor defense on the floor.

22. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002

Yeah, I just saw that a couple minutes ago, and no, it hasn't been mentioned. I only caught the tail end of that one, but it looked pretty bad.

At least now people won't be talking about the stupid MNF non-story anymore.

23. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX
  24. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA

It makes perfect sense that you should be able to attend an NBA game and not be attacked by an NBA player entering the stands mistaking you for somebody else. That's why players should NEVER enter the stands. NEVER.

Y'all who are one-sidedly backing the players on this one are hopeless. I'm actually agreeing with Bush supporters.

25. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah no shite its like they think this a game at Rucker Park instead of an NBA arena.

People need to start being arrested. Like SC-Clemson, Indiana-Detroit, etc. if me and some friends acted like that outside of a bar at closing time vs. some other group they would arrest us all and call it gang violance. Why do atheles get a free pass from being cuffed and booked for their violant behavior.??