Frida scores for Philadelphia, the WPS goals of the week

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by hykos1045, Aug 14, 2010.

1. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://splicd.com/MVZ4u4pi924/83/120

I was there and I still can't believe how amazing this 2nd goal from the Boston match was, against two defender traffic. I have watched it 100 times on replay (link above). It's definitely one of the top 4 goals I've ever seen live. Noticed the ball was still spinning in the back of the net 10 seconds after it was struck. Frida really put some muscle into it. The ball seemed to disappear from the keeper it was moving so fast.

2. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great goal! But, she (and we) did get lucky that the ball hit the back of the diving keeper after it bounced off the post. Otherwise, it wouldn't have gone in.

3. PhillyFan

PhillyFan New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky, maybe. But Joanna Lohman was already moving to the ball and pretty much in the clear right in front of the net so even if it did rebound out, she probably would have been able to finish it nicely.

What I noticed in the replay on Frida's first goal that night was that the referee was signaling for an indirect free kick. As far as I could tell, no other player touched the ball except the keeper. If Naher never touched the ball, it probably would not have counted.

4. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that may be valid. do goalkeepers ever attempt to avoid the ball on an indirect kick to prevent helping the other team? or is it too split second to judge from behind whether a ball has already been touched by another player?

5. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on an indirect they do because players can aim at the goal and hope it connects with another player.. if they think it is coming clean then they will let it go or handle the ball for a quick counter

6. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should know this, but under what circumstances does the ref signal for an indirect kick?

7. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor fouls in the attacking third... trips, jersey pulls- that sort of thing

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true but not complete (and the part of the field doesn't matter). The FIFA description is as follows:

(To get a direct free kick, the foul must be in a manner "considered by the
    referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force.")

Indirect free kicks are also used to restart play after an offsides call or when the goalkeeper commits a minor offense in their own penalty area (like handling a back-pass).

9. PhillyFan

PhillyFan New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like StarCityFan said. Typically you will see an indirect free kick for things like dangerous play, where the player is on the ground and attempts to play the ball from that position or impedes the play of the ball by being on the ground. That was the case here and the kick was awarded to Philadelphia. The kick was awarded when two of the Boston players fell on the ground trying to play the ball during a scuffle and blocked the ability for players to play the ball safely.