Frey?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Clan, Nov 5, 2003.

1. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il
    I know we want cover at every position, but this doesn't really fit that model as he would only come as a number 1. I just don't see it. Although if Cudicini has any more slipups, then maybe. I'd rather see how the squad we have does for awhile. Things seemed to work OK on Tuesday.

2. bmw9983

bmw9983 New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Boston
    The thought of dropping Carlo is crazy to me. ONE bad goal (granted it cost us...) but think of all of the saves he's made even in just the last season and the beginning of this year?

Would deGoey have made those saves?
    Ambrosio??

I think not.

KEEP CARLO!

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I agree. I've seen Frey play, and he's quite good, but I don't think he's as good as Cudicini (yet). Carlo has been in amazing form the last 2 years, and at the moment I'm not sure I'd take any goalie over him, save perhaps Buffon or Toldo.

I just don't see the reason of signing another goalie who would clearly be upset at the lack of playing time. Unless we were to loan him out to another Premiership side for a couple of seasons to let him adapt and learn from mistakes (while in someone else's goal :)) and then perhaps bring him in Carlo begins to decline with age. I haven't seen any indications that such is our plan, but that's the only thing that would make sense to me.

4. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia

Totally agree there...... no point we get Frey in and he rots in reserve. Macho was brilliant last year and should be back by December, he's IMO good enough as our second GK.

If we need to sign another GK, let it be someone from Under-21 national team player of any country who has loads of talent and is willing to be third or even fourth in the pecking order.

Cudicini definitely has at least 3 more quality years left in his career (and plenty more if he keeps himself healthy and fit).

There is however a last resort, we sign Frey and let him play for Parma for two seasons. Think that would work lads?

5. paulo

paulo Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Atlanta
    I am a shameless, homer. But, perhaps a young yank like Joe Cannon or Adin Brown or DJ Countess or Johnny Walker would fit nicely with the team.

6. CFC Forever

CFC Forever New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
  7. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia

You've got that right ! Sell Cudicini ?????..... on what grounds?????

He is not "friggin old" nor is he out of form (the match against Lazio has proven he is back to his best!). So where's the beef in this rumour?

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I don't think any of those guys think that they'll ever be able to supplant Cudicini. It took Cannon a bizarre pre-playoff switch to replace Garlick. All of those guys want playing time, and even if they're desperate to go to Europe and play for a top side, Chelsea is one of the last places you'd go, because you could get a similar paycheck and a much greater possibility of becoming #1 somewhere else.

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes i quite agree.
    It's not like it was at United where it was pretty much known that the powers that be ( ie Sir red nose) were less than pleased with the #1.
    That being said fair play to the young American for his fine start, could do quite well for himself for many years to come.