French Division 1

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by guignol, Sep 7, 2012.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The overall goal difference is not the first tie-breaker in France, it is the head to head record if teams are tied on points. Which means winning 1-0 or 14-0 against minnows does not help that much. Nadim scored 7 in that game and it is not even a record as Sandrine Bretigny managed eight in a game.

Record score is 19-0 as well.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    if OL and PSG were level then theoretically they could get mirror scores in their H2H matches and this would come into play. but with PSG down 2 pts it's unlikely in the extreme.

blissett repped this.
  3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    guignol and Klingo3034 repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  5. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    How is Luana doing at PSG these days? She was such a joy to watch at Avaldsnes during many seasons.

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She is doing ok, she took over the DM spot from Formiga.

Excellent performance by PSG. Lyon lacked creativity something that has been mentioned often under coach Vasseur.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  9. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    OL's physicality was off for the most part of the game. PSG midfield completely outmuscled them.

guignol repped this.
  10. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    Maro played so high up the pitch most of the game, that she was basically in split striker. I don't know if this was a tactical decision from the manager or what because she hardly had sight of the ball in the midfield this game. Maro, is Lyon's best creative player in the middle and she had very little impact.

guignol repped this.
  11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    They need Ada back.

Bauser and blissett repped this.
  12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Seems like she’s been out more than the usual 9 months recovery time. And Lyon looked desperate as they even tried Wendy Renard at fwd during the late stages of the game.
    Big surprise for PSG was Baltimore, she dominated the more heralded Elie Carpenter in 1v1 matchups, but than everybody as well on PSG crushed their opposing marks from Lyon.
    I wonder if the media war with NT coach, Diacre somehow hurt them? But then even Lyon’s foreign players looked lame out there

13. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    OL need Ada and Griedge back

blissett repped this.
  14. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    I never understood the hype that surrounded Ellie Carpenter, she was average for Portland. I understand that she's young and has insane speed but like you've said and I've seen it before not just in this game, her 1v1 defending is poor a lot of the time. She was absolutely destroyed by Lieke Martens in Australia's friendly just before the World Cup. She could develop, she still has that time but I never understood the hype straight out of the box with her.

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    She’s gotten rave reviews from the French press but thats cuz most of Lyon’s league opponents tend to bunker. This time, PSG played a high line & pretty much pushed Lyon back into their own side, thus exposing Carpenter’s weak defense. Meantime Baltimore(only 20 years old as well) seems like the real deal, though I thought she previously was an FB.
    PSG didn’t even bother to play Bachmann, Nadim, Huitema.....shows how deep the club is(amazing since Nadim scored 7 goals in their previous game)

guignol and thedexeter repped this.
  16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Carpenter is no Bronze.

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the usual 4-3-3 but with Maro placing herself well forward; whenever there were really three Lyonnaises active in MF Le Sommer was most often one of them. I had the same take as Hotjam2 and have been saying a 4-2-4 is no lineup to run out when you know the battle will be in the middle. Vasseur blew it big time. besides emptying the engine room he took away the possibility for Karchaoui and Carpenter to express themselves as they have been doing so well this season.

Everyone knew this match would have CL intensity (physically at least, in terms of action it was extremely flat) when the whole team dosn't show up for that it's not one or to players who bottled, it's the coach. he failed all across the board.

thedexeter and blissett repped this.
  18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    so far this season, and i've seen every minute, she's been better, even when she's needed in defense, but Baltimore was her first tough customer.

i was and still am a big Lucy fan and felt that after Bouhaddi she was the one player it would be most difficult to replace but Carpenter has filled the bill. she's got more than just speed : good ball skills, great crossing, very mature in positioning, reads the game well. still may lack big game attitude but is only 20. she wasn't going to be a good fit in the NWSL where fullbacks are defenders first and foremost but for OL she's just the right player for building the future.

19. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    if Lyon is in dire need to score in the dying minutes Wendie always becomes a forward. always.

Ada came back from her ACL rehab and then got an old tibia stress fracture operated on. she's should be back after the holidays.

hotjam2 repped this.
  20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I agree Carpenter is a good replacement for Lucy. She is young so loads of space for improvement as well.

21. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    I understand this take and even agree with it, with one small objection. And I caveat this with the fact that again Carpenter is so young and has that, "breathing space your grace," to grow. But her 1v1 defending is what kills it for me in a discussion on whether or not she can replace Lucy right away, but more specifically her 1v1 defending against top attackers is what's worrying me. And I've seen this in Portland as well, where she'll get beat consistently on 1v1's but can sometimes recover because of her crazy pace. And I agree on the whole with your NWSL take but for me she lacks that ability, when Lyon face the PSG's/ Wolfsburg / Chelsea's of the world I worry about her in the big games. But again she's young and has a lot of promise. However, again, I just never understood the hype around her like right away; it sort of surprised me to be honest. I suppose it's more of a securing Lyon's future thing, that's what I'm taking away from it anyway.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Matildas are well-known in the US, because of the close links between NWSL and the W League and between the two nations in general but I’m always wary - Sam Kerr for example is definitely in the top 100 players in the world but no way in the top 5 like you often read.

So when OL signed Carpenter (whom I only knew by name) to replace Lucy I thought “great, that’s all we need”…

I formed my opinion of her uniquely on I saw on the pitch and was very impressed even before I found out she was fast or realized she was only 20. intelligent positioning, great vision, quick decisions, razor sharp passing… she coordinates with the other players well, especially Cascarino, you’d think they’ve been playing together for years.

thedexeter repped this.
  23. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    Match Day 9 - Highlights

FC Fleury 91 v. Dijon FCO

Paris FC v. FCG Bordeaux

GPSO 92 Issy v. EA Guingamp

ASJ Soyaux v. Stade de Reims

Montpellier HSC v. Le Havre AC

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  24. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    Match day 10
    The Parisian derby PSG v PFC full game

25. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    Match Day 10 Highlights

Dijon FCO v. Stade de Reims

Le Havre AC v. Olympique Lyonnais

FCG Bordeaux v. ASJ Soyaux

Montpellier HSC v. GPSO 92 Issy

EA Guingamp v. FC Fleury 91

PSG v. PFC ended 4 - 1 for PSG. See the full match above.

sbahnhof repped this.