French clubs in Europe 2011-2012

Discussion in 'France' started by Tsigalko, Jul 26, 2011.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Its nice OM are advancing but I couldnt believe they hadnt made the quarter finals in almost 20 years. Its hard to believe since they are so the so called "biggest club in France" but in Europe they are nill. Too bad they cant get an owner who spends more so they could compete with the bigger Euro clubs.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Watching Bayren Munich vs OM is depressing. 20 years ago OM could compete equally with the largest clubs in Europe and now I'm watching a great French player (Ribery) playing in Germany and not for the so called "biggest club in France." Its not fair and its depressing but I know how it goes these days. Im gonna look forward to watching PSG play in the Champions League next year because its gonna be more exciting than watching this dreck.

4. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We cannot compete with Bayern because of our financial situation. Everything I said, about PSG last Summer has come true mostly. I wouldn't put much faith behind that team in the CL next year, unless they make a ton of changes in the Summer.

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Well they are all I have to look forward to because Montpellier will sell its best players and Lille I have no idea who they are selling and bringing in and how much money they have. Its PSG or bust. Maybe a good Europa League run by OM or OL will stop us from falling behind Portugal in the rankings. I stopped paying attention to the Europa League when the French teams got knocked out.

6. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think MHSC is going to sell giroud or belhanda unless some ludicrous offer comes along, both are going to play CL for the first time why break off a team that has worked hard to go play into another squad which will require time to adjust not to mention it would be CL suicide to sell your best player and striker or an upcoming creative force
    Lille is probably going to sell hazard they should do some good with that money
    OM in europa if they beat OL in the cup right? so...might want to look elsewhere for the EL spot?

7. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Juventus is going to splash out 20 million euros for Giroud ,would rather play for the old lady over MHSC anyday ,especially if Juventus is playing champions league next session

8. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 mill? I thought that was kinda high
    Juve has been linked with 7 other forwards, that and I've only heard EPL clubs going for him

9. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I highly doubt Louis Nicollin will sell all his best players. He will finally be in th spotlight in the CL next year. They can get by if they sell either Belhanda or Giroud but not both, plus they must keep their backline together. Its the best backline in Ligue 1. Marvin Martin would be the perfect replacement for Hazard. But they will face alot competition for his signature, so they better have a good second option in mind. There moving into their new building in August, add that together with the sell of Hazard, they should have money next year. PSG has the money, but will Leonardo make better personnel decisions?

10. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    As much as I am down on OM right now, they did get past Inter who have more talent and a bigger budget so I'll give them credit for that. Of course Inter are having a bad year and they only beat them on away goals but most people thought OM would lose anyway. Champions Leaue quarter finals with a thin bench and a lack of money is pretty good. Its the fault of the other teams why Portugal passed us. We should be stronger in the Euorpa League next year than we were this year.

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    my little finger tells me we're going to win it!

i don't know what effect anything he may propose will have (note he doesn't mention dropping the league cup) , and the excuses he gives are hokum, the proof being that it's a league with even less moolah that's ousted ours. the problem is the lack of priority our clubs have given to the EL and he's stamped his little foot before on the subject to no avail. how poetic to lose the fifth place spot in the year he said we would be 3rd, and the conduct of our clubs in the competition was the most blameworthy. it's hard to blame sochaux too much, they had a very difficult pre-season and qualifying for the groups would have made what was always going to be a tough season much worse. but rennes arguably and PSG certainly were the class of their groups and neither should have had the slightest problem advancing.

13. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    wait a sec ligue 1 is only going to have two champions league spots next season?:eek: or three?

14. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    no, but the 3rd team will have to start qualifying earlier, while now the 3rd Portuguese team will go straight to the play-off round.

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    3 Spanish teams in the Europa League semi finals. If you wanna say Ligue 1 is comparable to La Liga if you took away Barca and Real Madrid then I guess you would be wrong. Looks like we are miles behind them. L1 did not take advanatage of Serie A getting weaker and Germany did.

16. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Yes, those 3 Spanish teams are very good, but PSG and Rennes are good teams. PSG has a ton talent on that team, but their backline is below average. Rennes has billionaire owner, and they're very talented young team, but Pinault does spend much his fortune on the team, so they stuck at their present level. Germany has 6 clubs that are among foobtall's top 20 revenue generators, and France only had OL and OM. The Qataris only bought PSG last year. Now Lille, OM, OL, should've big budget increases with their new stadiums. The main task for bigger Ligue 1 teams, is to keep most of the French players, playing in France. If I was PSG, I would be buying all the top French youth talent.

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Rennes's Europa group was pretty tough. Sion would have been easier than Celtic. They probably should spend more based on their owner's wealth but they did bring in Mevlut erding when most L1 teams couldnt probably couldnt have afforded him.

Btw, there is a problem of keeping players in France because in the past OM and OL could buy players like M'Vila and Giroud and now they cant and of course we know PSG wont buy them.

18. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Both OM and OL finances are tight now. OL will rely on its youth academy, which is miles ahead of half the nonexistant OM youth academy. All the heavyweights like Real Madrid, Arsenal, Bayern, and maybe Man U will be after M'Vila, so I doubt PSG could get him, even If they wanted him. Giroud is a very good player, but you can find guys with his skill set. What OL and OM must do is scout, evaluate, buy, and develop French youth talent. And keep it at home when the big europeans clubs come calling. They can do that , with there increased revenue from their new stadiums.

19. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    PSG has an great youth academy for the record

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    just an anecdote, my son once played in a 2-day tournament that had a lot of academies entered: valencia, PSG, OL, OM, nantes and a club from algiers. these last two were the most impressive in terms of organization and discipline: those kids didn't wiggle their ears* unless the coach said to. but the marseille kids** were a disgrace. if they hadn't been the great OheM they would have forfeired all their matches because the coach could never get them rounded up and they kicked off 10 minutes late (for a 20 minute match!) every time.

* ça ne bougeait pas d'une oreille

** actually there was another marseille team, plan de cuques, who was much more professional, and i remember they beat the sardines like the red-headed stepchild and actually made the final

21. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I'm noticing a pattern here. Spain and Portugal are doing so well in the Europa League and those 2 leagues have dominate teams who pull ahead of everyone else allowing the other teams to focus on Europe since they are way out of the title race. France is the opposite of that in that there are no dominate teams who pull ahead of everyone else allowing for the other teams to focus on the league instead of Europe.

1 person likes this.
  22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    excellent exposition. where do i sign?

23. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Im rooting against your team in the league cup because I want OM in the Europa League plus your team would rather win the Coup de France anyway since its way more prestigious. I suppose OM is still in contention for the Europa League if they dont win the league cup but me thinks they are putting everything into it and if they win it then finishing as high as possible in the standings wont be a priority.

24. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes sir

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i understand! and the CdF sends us to NYNY but since both finals will be problematic and the moustache cup is first...

i don't see OM getting into the EL any other way. though the different scenarios involving the spots attached to cups are too numerous to line them all up right now, most of them involve finishing ahead of téfécé, and even if they win tonight they'll be 7 points behind them.

but if OL finishes 4th or higher or wins the CdF OM will go to the EL even if they lose in their final because unlike the CdF where if the winner is already qualified for europe the spot reverts back to being awarded according to league standings, the league cup spot goes to the other finalist in like situation.

i think...

or would it be (imagining OL finishes below 4th but wins both finals) that we would be awarded the league cup spot, the CdF spot going to 5th place (6th if OL finishes 5th). in that case they would only need to finish ahead of rennes.

but if rennes wins the coupe... and OL only finishes 5th... :confused: